Cameras forum

General discussion

Olympus D-390 Digital Camera

by NewNewBie / June 30, 2008 1:34 PM PDT

Hi all. I have a few questions. First I want to say that this camera is my very digital camera. I am completely clueless on it. I got it at a yard sale for $10.00. One of my first questions is: Is there anywhere I can download the software, drivers? It came with everything but the CD. I took a couple of pics with it. It plugged it into my computer & my computer seemed to recognize the camera was plugged up. I copied & pasted the pics to my desktop. Will that mess anything up? I only did it to see if the camera worked. The woman said that it would. I just wanted to make sure.

I have read every booklet that came with it. I can make no sense out of it at all. I still have no idea what I'm doing. I took some pictures with it at the current settings. I assume these are the defaults or the settings the previous owner had it on. To me they looked alright. But again I'm a newbie at this kind of thing. A friend said they wasn't good pictures. So my question is: How do I take good pitcures with it? Yes I am extremely ignorant with this camera. I only bought it because I've never had one & the price wasn't too bad.

If anyone could please help me, I would greatly apprieticate it.

Here is a site that a review of my camera & it has everything on it about the camera.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D390/D39A.HTM

Here is pictures that I took with the camera.
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/misty_cobb/new%20camera/

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Olympus D-390 Digital Camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Olympus D-390 Digital Camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Olympus D390
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 12:54 AM PDT

That camera was introduced in March of 2003.
In digital camera life, that is a long time ago.

It is a bare bones model .... no optical zoom and 2 megapixels.

But it does takes good pictures.

It is certainly worth $10.

As you can see from your pictures, the flash has a short reach.
It is rated for about 8 feet.
And it does not modulate the flash well when someone is close.
But that can be easily fixed with any photo manipulation software.

It appears that the camera is set for 640 x 480 which you need to change.
I would set it to the best quality and the largest size (1280 x 960).
You may need to buy a larger capacity memory card if the one you have is just 16 or 32 megabytes.

Since you were able to copy pictures from the camera, you do not need any of the software that came with the camera. You do not need drivers.

You can download a copy of the Instruction Manual from Olympus:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support.asp?id=

Start by clicking "Digital Cameras" and work you way down until you get to your camera model.
There you will find download links for the Instruction Manual.

Enjoy your new camera.

Collapse -
Thank you
by NewNewBie / July 5, 2008 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Olympus D390

Thank you so much for your help. I think I'm learning really well. I've taken a bunch of pics. Alot of them turned out really good. If you don't mind I would like to ask you a question. I set the date & time on the camera. But is there a way for it to show up on my pics when I print them? I went to the website & read all of them pages. It didn't say it anywhere. If you can't help me that's fine. I just was wondering. If there was even a way to do that. Thanks again for all your help. I really did apprieticate it.

Collapse -
there are programs
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / July 5, 2008 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

There are programs, but the date will always be embedded on the photo's exif data.

Collapse -
Date and Time
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 5, 2008 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

Some digital cameras can print the date/time on the lower right edge of the photos.
But very few have that option.
If you found no mention of that capability in the documentation, then your camera does not have that option.

All digital cameras embed the date/time, along with a lot of camera information in each photo. It is called EXIF data.

Here is an easy way to look at some of that information:
On your computer, use "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer" to find your photo files.
Right click on one of the photo files.
Click Properties
Click the "Summary" TAB
..(If you see no data ... click the "Advanced" button)
You will see camera data that is related to that photo, which includes the date and time the photo was taken.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!