Cameras forum

General discussion

OLYMPUS C2100 Is it out of date?

by Gayle / April 11, 2005 8:35 AM PDT

I bought an OLYMPUS C2100 2.1 MEG. ULTRA ZOOM about 2 years ago, it has 10X Optical Zoom and 2.7X Digital Zoom. It is great for close up and Macro shots(bought macro lens) but it does not give me the sharp long range shot eg. Rock Climbers near the top of their climb. I also bought a Wide Angle Lens under .1 due to the advice of one of the articles of CNET, well that was a complete waste of $100.00. Not knowing enough about photograhpy has been an expensive venture into the art of Digital Photo. This camera looks very impressive, but as the smaller,cheaper and higher pixel cameras hit the market I am wondering if spending more money on the appropriate lens (telephoto wide angle) would be enough to keep this camera up to date for at least 5 more years. There is one more problem the camera uses a Smart Media Card, and that Card is no longer in production. I have one 128 MB, three 32 MB and one 8 MB. Total cost to this point for all requirements eg. batteries and charger, lens ect. is close to $1500.00. Would anyone care to comment on this issue, I would certainly be grateful for any insight at all. Thank you to all for taking the time to read this post.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OLYMPUS C2100 Is it out of date?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OLYMPUS C2100 Is it out of date?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Olympus C2100 Uzi
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 11, 2005 9:36 AM PDT

That camera was introduced in June of 2000 and cost about $1,300 new. With 10X image stabilized optical zoom, it had every bell and whistle available.

If you visit a few Olympus camera forums, you will find a lot of people that would like to wrestle you to the ground and take that Uzi away from you.

The Uzi is a classic and still has one of the sharpest long lenses ever made.

If you could somehow put a few more megapixels in the camera it could compete with any of the present long lens cameras.

I don't think you will be happy with any attempt to turn it into a wide angle camera.

As for shooting at the maximum optical zoom, even though it is optically stabilized, you should avoid hand holding the camera at maximum zoom. Try a few such shots with a tripod. See if they are better.

Smart Media cards can still be found at very reasonable prices. They will be available at auction sites for many years to come.

A thought - keep the Uzi and get a low cost 3X zoom camera that has a short focal length lens (wide angle).

Such as the Fujifilm E500 (4meg) and E510 (5meg).
Lens is rated 28-91mm, 3.2X optical zoom.
These can be found for under $200.

Collapse -
OLYMPUS C2100 answers.Thank you
by Gayle / April 11, 2005 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Olympus C2100 Uzi

Thank you very much for the answer to my posting. You have given me peace of mind over this purchase. You are correct in saying that this camera was much sought after, in fact I got the last one left in the city I live in. I do have a tripod and use it for Family Photos, but it is too bulky to carry around on sight seeing trips, so the stabilizing system has given me some great action shots. I have one more question, what auctions will I be able to purchase the Smart Media cards? Do you mean ebay or are there other auctions that I am unaware of? If I answered my own question no reply is necessary. Kudos to snapshot2

Collapse -
Uzi
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 12, 2005 12:39 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.