General discussion

Olympus C-500 problem

Hi-- My C-500 digi camera has recently developed the following strange
fault. When turned on the lights blink and camera bleeps. A message then
appears "Batteries are low". Now this is the strange part because the
batteries were fully charged and checked on a meter. I also tried new
batteries but had the same result. This fault does not occur at every switch
on but it does occur more often than not.
I would welcome your advice on what might be the cause and the cure for this.
Thankyou

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Olympus C-500 problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Olympus C-500 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Possibility - Something to check.

This type of problem has been reported occasionally on several brand of cameras.

The most common cause is that one battery appears to be too short.
This is caused because the spring at the bottom of the battery compartment has lost some of its tension.

Look closely at the batteries and see if one of them appears to be not long enough to touch the battery compartment lid (when it is closed).

Sometimes it is possible to stretch the spring to make it stand taller in the battery compartment.

- Collapse -
In such a case ...

a carefully placed small piece of aluminum foil (folded to the right thickness) can do wonders.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info