Dell forum

Question

older Dell N5010

My Dell N5010 has a partial keyboard problem. Most letters do not work, numbers & function keys are OK. A new keyboard did not fix this. A USB keyboard and mouse works fine. Processor is an i3 with 8mb ram, runs windows 10. Any clues anyone?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: older Dell N5010
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: older Dell N5010
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try replacing the keyboard.

In reply to: older Dell N5010

Collapse -
older Dell N5010

In reply to: Did you try replacing the keyboard.

As stated, keyboard has been replaced with no change occurring.
USB is fine. I guess it is possible that the new keyboard is US.

Collapse -
I read that but

Once in a while you get a bum replacement. I take it ALL other OSes booted from USB or other do this?

If so, it's likely to be the keyboard connector or a blown part on the motherboard. USB only can be dangerous as some OS/BIOS things can't be fixed with a dead internal keyboard.

Sad to read.

Collapse -
older Dell N5010

In reply to: I read that but

Thank you for your prompt reply. The keyboard connector has continuity through all pins
(ie from board to actual contact area). I have tried both a bluetooth wireless/mouse combination and discrete usb keyboard and mouse plugins. Both work perfectly.
I like this computer as it runs 64 bit windows 10 with 8gb of ram is is very quick.

Collapse -
So you have not tested other OSes?

Collapse -
older Dell N5010

In reply to: So you have not tested other OSes?

I will try your suggestion, thankyou.
I gather you are suggesting that my OS could be the problem.
If it turns out that that is the case, what would be the next step?
Perhaps a re-installation?

Collapse -
older Dell N5010

I have loaded Linux 14.04 torun from DVD. Laptop keyboard exhibits the same problems. A USB mouse and keyboard work fine using Linux.

Collapse -
That is my test method.

Sorry but that nails it's some hardware issue. To test if it's the mainboard is costly. You have to decide if it's worth it.

Collapse -
older Dell N5010

In reply to: That is my test method.

A sad ending. Thankyou for your advice in any case.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.