Desktops forum

General discussion

Older Compaq System Boot Hangs With "FF 301 keyboard error"

by WayneStrauss / August 14, 2007 3:40 PM PDT

I have a Compaq Deskpro: P550, 768 MB (max), 7 GB hard drive, 2 USB 1.0 ports, XP Home. I also have a Sony Ericsson W800 camera/phone that connects via USB to transfer pictures/music to/from. I've had the W800 about a year. At first the transfers went fine. Then more and more frequently File Manager said there was no device connected. Usually after several disconnects/reconnects the device came online. Last week I couldn't get it to connect at all and in the proces of trying the screen turned black except for "FF 301 keyboard error," and the system hangs. As far as I've been able to find out, this error is thrown when a key is stuck or for some other keyboard error. I have a new USB keyboard, which hasn't given me any problem. I swapped USB ports to no avail. I then removed the USB keyboard and pligged in a different PS/2 keyboard; the problem persisted so I don't think it's a keyboard problem. Someone on one of the boards conjectured that the motherboard may be fried. I don't know if he means that the only the onboard USB circuitry on the motherboard is fried or the entire motherboard is gone.

Another helpful sole had a similar problem and put in a USB 2.0 PCI board and the problem was solved. But I read a posting that said something about 2.0 compatability between the PCI board and the motherboard or certain features of USB 2.0 would not work. Since a USB 2.0 PCI board is cheap I thought it might be worth a shot. Replacing the computer would be great but it's not in the cards right now. I need advice. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Older Compaq System Boot Hangs With "FF 301 keyboard error"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Older Compaq System Boot Hangs With "FF 301 keyboard error"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.