TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Old TV Won't Power On

by CarloMas / January 30, 2012 10:17 PM PST

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><font size="2">All of a sudden, my 35" Mitsubishi tabletop CRT TV from 1995
won't power on, either from the remote or from the power button on the set
itself.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> The outlet (actually a power
strip) it's in works fine with other devices, and the TV won't work plugged
into other receptacles and even another power strip.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> I've also unplugged it and plugged it back in a few hours later,
with no change.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Any idea what this
might be, and whether it's worth it to look into a repair?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Mitsubishi support couldn't identify the
problem but gave me the numbers of some of their local service companies, which
I assume will charge for a home visit, which I'd like to invest in only if
there's good chance that repair makes sense.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Thanks in advance. </font>
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old TV Won't Power On
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old TV Won't Power On
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
buy a new TV
by robert1tech / February 27, 2012 10:32 AM PST
In reply to: Old TV Won't Power On

17 years for 1 TV is a long time!

You are also going to be amazed at how good the picture looks on the new sets.

Repairing something like that with out specialized knowledge or parts can be a pain and expensive.

Get a new LED/LCD TV they come a huge range of sizes and prices. Stay away from Sony or Samsung though they have had tons of problems lately.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: won't turn on
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 30, 2012 10:19 PM PST

I think a lifetime of 15+ years isn't bad at all for a TV. If I were you I would seriously consider buying a nice new LCD-LED TV.

A likely (but surely not the only one) solution is replacing the PSU. Ask one of those companies how much that would cost to get an indication.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Keep in mind
by Pepe7 / January 31, 2012 4:42 AM PST

Even if you replace a part ($), another could still break and that's also out of pocket. YMMV.

I'd skip the pain and upgrade to a modest sized LCD if you can swing the cash. There are some good deals to be had.

Collapse -
any solution please?
by maryjones1971 / February 26, 2012 1:42 PM PST
In reply to: Keep in mind

Last May, 2008, I bought my Samsung LN-T4065F 40 inch LCD TV since I thought that the LCD set was awesome, and when I watched it on high definition, it was amazing. But after a year and 2months, it went bad, i.e., a year after my warranty got expired. I'm confused and don't know what to do. Need your help?

Collapse -
Almost similar to mine
by thomasanderson11133 / February 26, 2012 1:57 PM PST
In reply to: any solution please?

A very similar problem happened to one of my Dell IPS monitors.

Collapse -
Any solution please?
by maryjones1971 / February 26, 2012 2:11 PM PST
In reply to: Almost similar to mine

The first problem I had with the device was that whenever I turn it on, it takes some time for it to come on. At first, I thought it was my Direct TV DVR that was causing the power up delay because every time when it come on the resolution of my TV goes from 1080i to 480i. But after few weeks the LCD TV gets worst, clicking starts to come in and TV turns on with this weird colored background and I just got tired of it and started searching about it over the internet.

Collapse -
It was power defect issue
by maryjones1971 / March 4, 2012 11:44 AM PST
In reply to: Any solution please?

It was a power defect. I read a lot of posts from other users with the same problem.

Collapse -
Efficient and Effective LG TV
by mcclaudjohn / March 6, 2012 12:17 PM PST

I mean compared with LG TV sets, I haven't heard any story talking about LG's TV power defects. Probably, LG Electronics believe strongly on Effectiveness and Efficiency and so that's I haven't been able to get any negative news concerning their latest TV products.

Collapse -
World's Best OLED TV Champion
by kellywilliams0448 / March 6, 2012 12:22 PM PST

Who is still talking about old TVs when we all know the common saying "the old has gone, and behold the new and latest TV brand has come"? In my opinion, we should be talking about Smart TV or 3D TVs for now why waiting anxiously for the Worlds champion OLED TV that is still to arrive. At the preliminary stage, Ces-2012 gave LG Electronics the best OLED award followed by Samsung. However, the true story is yet to be unveiled.

Collapse -
Best Affordable 3D TV
by prin4u / March 6, 2012 12:34 PM PST

Some few weeks ago, I spend over an hour searching for the best quality 3D TV (range within 42 inch to 47 inch) and I felt on this phrase that stipulate "best Affordable 3D TV" on Google site. When I made a further search attempt on the phrase, I found that LG, Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony all had similar 3D TV but with slightly different technologies. To cut the long story short, I ended my search at the level of price where to some extent; Final choice: Lw5300. Runner-up Panasonic ST30.

Collapse -
Best 3D TV in terms of price
by kellywilliams0448 / March 6, 2012 12:38 PM PST
In reply to: Best Affordable 3D TV

Dude! Those guys are just manipulating people with words like Affordable, best, super, and the rest just to sell out their TV sets. I appreciate the fact that some of LG's TV sets are little cheap, but if you look at companies like Samsung, that keeps talking of "super 3D TV" has had a lot of short comings lately for its LCDs/ Plasma TV power defect.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?