PC Applications forum

Question

Old Quickbooks in Win7

by Willy / August 31, 2014 4:56 PM PDT

I maybe having a senior moment or simply having too much to review. But, here goes maybe you can help.

Win 7 Pro x64 and Quickbooks 2002? will they work together? The QB is from an old XP system that is working OK in that PC. However, when installed on Win7 it has a "runtime error" I figure its too old to run in Win7 as is. I did install "virtual XP mode" in order to test out. But, ran out of time and generally speaking it was a lot of other work to get this far. Yes, the XP PC will be retired.

My real question, having XP mode up and running in Win7 can I access already installed QB folder within Win7? -OR- do I need to install entirely under XP mode and in effect have a separate virtual PC to run it all. I ask because it doesn't seem that clear.

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/HOW13206

I could be misunderstanding a step or lost in translation, but I thought the Win7 virtual PC would do this, but it still has the runtime error. I haven't tried under virtual XP mode yet, ran out of time. I just didn't want to stumble though it.

TIA -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old Quickbooks in Win7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old Quickbooks in Win7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try these too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2014 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Old Quickbooks in Win7
Collapse -
QB website
by Willy / September 1, 2014 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Try these too.

QB offered alot of details on making this work. But, the more I delved into it, the answers seemed to change too. They usually pointed to some virtual mode and then encompassed the various version releases, so i had to check apples and oranges more than once. The link I posted pretty much, what was the most clear to me, yet I wanted the client to upgrade because it was getting into a complicated method of usage. QB was the only pgm. that fought me in not running. To add the complexity of XP mode seemed to go over their heads.

Your link again offering a QB fix, yet again different from other QB fixes. This is how it all got mangled but I hadn't changed anything yet, other than install in Win7. Thanks

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Finally...after many tries
by Willy / September 10, 2014 5:10 PM PDT
In reply to: QB website

I was able to get QB2002 to run in Win7. Win7 has a virtual mode already as part of its OS and i did install XP mode VM as well. More than once it was offered that XP mode would be the fix, not so or maybe a hidden feature got exposed. The plan fact is, click on the QB icon and then click on "compatibility mode" which is in fact the XP mode or what is seems to be. Doing that provided the proper QB launch and access to files. However, one has to use QB own "restore" feature to properly place in folder(s) that the user can then access as it was before. This pretty much defeats any "easy transfer" mode which will copy data over. You have to take the extra step of placing old data into new folder area, from QB restored process of same data. It had me very confused because data was inputted daily and accessing prior easy transfer data was old data of that day of transfer. Getting the new just generated recent data placed in the same folder(s) the only difference is the "amount" of data size. Trying to figure that all out and get it settled didn't come easy until that "ah-ha moment". Thanks for the help...

FYI- Remember, I'm a h/w guy not a s/w dude. In other words, if i can turn a screw, it's fixed, but making s/w fixes is more hit or miss. Quite frankly, QB support isn't that helpful, even though alot of hints, tips and fixes are there, none seemed to correctly 100% on this quest.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?