Mac OS forum

General discussion

Old Powerbook G4 dieing. Need to extend life

by Darayz / November 9, 2006 9:45 PM PST

I have an old Powerbook G4 laptop that is definitely showing its age. It still works, but there are two problems that I hope can be fixed before I upgrade to the new macbook pros next month

1) I can't seem to install the update to the OS (10.4.7). Whenever the automatic update notifies me of the new upgrade, it completely downloads the file and crashes during the installation cycle. I downloaded the individual upgrade from the apple site, but the installer crashes on me when I try to install manually as well.

2) The DVD combo drive fails to read any CD or DVD anymore. Is there a firmware file I can download that will fix this? The drive is a Matshita DVD-R UJ-815

I would love to fix these problems without having to drop it off at the apple store and not see it again for 2 weeks.
Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old Powerbook G4 dieing. Need to extend life
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old Powerbook G4 dieing. Need to extend life
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Regarding the drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2006 9:52 PM PST

I've replaced about a dozen over the past year. Usually the owner has either tried to find a fix for months or searched for many weeks for some way to keep the failed drive. In the end I swap the drive and the problem vanishes. At least it's cheaper than a new laptop. I'm unsure where you are in the process (you may have not reached the point where you'll replace the drive.)

Bob

Collapse -
Have you tried disc utilities?
by gilbertwhite1 / November 9, 2006 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Regarding the drive.

Perhaps running utils such as permissions may clear out some of the bugs?...also when doing the updates do a few at a time and run permissions after each update session?...sounds like u will need to spend some money on it eventually. Seems it would be worth it thou?
Your G4 would certainly be a good spare unit even thou it will be replaced by newer unit.

Collapse -
Just a thought.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 10, 2006 2:17 AM PST

The fact that the machine crashes when you are trying to install updates may be indicative of a corrupt OS. It could also be that the corrupt OS is the reason why your otpical device will not mount any disks.
So, using your trusty OS X installation CD, try to boot the machine from the CD. Insert CD/DVD, restart and hold down the C key. If the machine reboots from the optical drive that is one less thing you have to worry about. You can now go ahead and do an Archive and Install of the OS. On completion, update the OS to the latest version.

If it did NOT boot, make sure the CD/DVD is actually bootable, give it a couple more goes, ZAP the PRAM, try again.

P

Collapse -
Definitely going to try using OSX installation CD
by Darayz / November 10, 2006 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: Just a thought.

I'm going to try to reinstall the OS. Problem is, I can't seem to find the CD. But I'm pretty sure I know someone who still has it.

Will report back the moment I try this out.

thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?