HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Old (ME) to New (Vista)

by newtech71 / May 12, 2009 2:53 PM PDT

How can I best merge my old computer with the new one and retain programs that were not designed for Vista and have no newer versions?
I tried using Acronis 9.0, but the new computer would not boot from the Acronis recovery disk. I tried using Acronis to clone the old system to an external hard drive thinking I could access that drive from the new machine. Acronis went through the motions but did not create a clone.
Acronis technical support for 9.0 in non-existent. Googling around the web gave me two possibilities, Laplink Pro for about$69.00 and XXClone freeware. Has anyone used either of these? What were the results?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old (ME) to New (Vista)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old (ME) to New (Vista)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You cannot do it . . .
by Coryphaeus / May 12, 2009 11:05 PM PDT

Files, folders, documents, pictures, music, favorites, etc. will move with a drag and drop, connect the drive as a slave. Programs will not. Period.

You might be able to connect the old drive as a slave and run the program as an executable from there. But don't hold your breath.

Collapse -
Older pgms. and Vista
by Willy / May 12, 2009 11:12 PM PDT

Like many OSes before it, unless some pgm. has support or is compatible with Vista don't expect a rush for updates that make it so. In other words, you're at the mercy of the makers to keep up. If too old, don't expect much.

If your new system is already with Vista, try loading the pgm. and go from there. You can't simply swap over as the OS will want the registry to be clued, thus it will fail or become a mess. You compounded the issue when using Acronis, once it didn't work, just leave it out of the mix. Load the Vista onto a system from regular means. As for the Me OS, either install HD into an ext. USB case and access that way -OR- mount internally. Vista should see the old HD and allow its volumes to accessed. You may need to use disc mgt. for 100% mounting.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Download Virtual PC from Microsoft ...
by Kees Bakker / May 13, 2009 12:06 AM PDT

and install ME in it. It's all free, although Microsoft prefers to have you pay for a ME license, if you use an OEM copy.

Kees

Collapse -
Close but no cigar
by newtech71 / May 13, 2009 1:57 PM PDT

VPC 2007 does not support Vista Home Premium which is my OS. Downloaded it anyway and was able to create a virtual machine but ME won't install. I get through a few steps and end up with only a DOS A:\ prompt. I tried to run 'setup' from the ME CD but it didn't recognize the virtual drive. Any further suggestions?

Collapse -
Plenty of cigars.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2009 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Close but no cigar

If you research VPC 2007 you discover it's not supported on this os but irregardless does work.

As to the virtual drive, it MUST be of a size that this old OS supports. I found many forget that.

Collapse -
The cigar is out
by newtech71 / May 14, 2009 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Plenty of cigars.

I give up! Tried many ways to make ME load into VPC but nothing worked so I'll just keep the old computer and hope it keeps on ticking. Getting rid of VPC was another religious experience I didn't need. Thanks for all the replies.

Collapse -
The other Virtual PC
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2009 12:25 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.