HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Old Intel Spawned New Terror Alert

by RB2D2 / August 3, 2004 12:47 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old Intel Spawned New Terror Alert
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old Intel Spawned New Terror Alert
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Day late and dollar short
by RB2D2 / August 3, 2004 12:59 AM PDT

The government seems to be getting their bad info the same way from the same places over and over.

We need better intel or don't use it at all.

Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: you got that right
by Mary Kay / August 3, 2004 3:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
So does this mean.....
by Josh K / August 3, 2004 3:32 AM PDT

...that the warnings of an attack in September were warnings of an attack in September of 2001? Or is the current threat still considered credible?

Collapse -
Josh!
by Dan McC / August 3, 2004 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: So does this mean.....

Josh, if they weren't as sure as they are capable of being would they have elevated the Vague Anxiety Alert Level up to Tangerine? ? ?

Dan

Collapse -
I don't think it's a warning of anything.
by RB2D2 / August 3, 2004 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: So does this mean.....

I think the terrorist are real good at planting "plans of this and that" and the US intel is too quick to gobble it up and go bannans.

Collapse -
OK, folks, you've had your yuks.
by Paul C / August 3, 2004 4:02 AM PDT

Now, how about reading the whole article:

The Washington Post and The New York Times reported in Tuesday editions that officials were still analyzing documents seized late last month after a raid in Pakistan that showed al Qaeda surveillance of specific U.S. targets.

Documents, computers, surveillance reports and sketches were recovered related to the capture of suspected al Qaeda computer expert Muhammad Naeem Noor Khan, also known as Abu Talha, in July, officials said.

Much of the information that resulted from the arrest was compiled before the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, The New York Times reported, citing intelligence and law enforcement officials.

Federal authorities said they are unsure whether al Qaeda's surveillance continues, the newspapers reported.

1. It ain't intel until it's collected, people.

2. How long did the planning process for 9/11 take? The 9/11 commission tells us that it took at least 3 years for the basic data to be collected and developed into a plan of attack, and at least another 18 months to put the players in place - that's at least 4 1/2 years! One thing we do know about these people: they're nothing if not patient.

3. Would you rather have the authorities have discounted this data on the basis of its age? Then, after the attack, would you have simply accepted the argument that the terrorists' intel was old, and therefore not likely to reflect their present intentions? Somehow, I dount it. You would have demanded the head of every member of the administration from the President on down on the grounds of gross negligence - and you would have been right in doing so.

Perhaps you ought to stop looking at these stories through the ABB-inspired lens of derision and finger pointing? And while I'm at it, please tell us exactly what it is that Sen. Kerry would have done differently after receiving this intel?

Collapse -
I will say this.
by RB2D2 / August 3, 2004 4:38 AM PDT

In all fairness we have no idea how many attacks have been prevented or will be. Could be hundreds. Hard to give credit when nothing has happened. Unfortunate.

If 9-11 had been prevented we would never had been aware of the enormity of that prevention.

Collapse -
So why do you criticize proactivity?
by Paul C / August 3, 2004 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I will say this.

Read my post entitled "About that 4-year old intelligence..." that I'm about to post!

Collapse -
Re: I will say this.
by Josh K / August 3, 2004 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: I will say this.

We do know about a few, including some recon that was done on the Brooklyn Bridge, after which the would-be terrorists decided that security was too strong and they abandoned the idea. There was also the arrest of two Iranians in the NYC subway awhile back -- they were videotaping very late at night and it aroused a police officer's suspicion. He was right; they were up to no good.

But yeah, no doubt there have been many other plans thwarted that we haven't heard about and won't.

Your post reminded me of the Y2K problem and all the work that was done to head it off, and how a lot of people whined that it was a waste of time and the seriousness of the problem was overblown because hardly anything went wrong on 1/1/00, rather than seeing it as an example of hard work that paid off.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.