PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Old intel heart needs new body!

Hmm.......... MS going to release Vista and all software giants making hardware exhausting Games ,software and this advancement is causing a great problem to my old computer to work with them ..................and forced me to have a transplantation of my old mobo i.e orignal i845 GVSR but there r some queries in my mind:-
Currently my system consist of orignal i845 GVSR mobo with a Intel PGA 468 socket 2.8 processor ,256MB of RAM,40 gb PATA HDD with on board graphics but in today's context I am not able to cop up with new softwares and planning to change my mobo (i know this will only cause a little of performance increase but will be buying a brand new dual core machine after 6 months).Dear frnds plz suggest me a mobo with keeping following features in mind
1.Support's Intel PGA 468 socket 2.8 processor.
2.AGP 8x slot
3.SATA
4.Firewire(optional)
5.Onboard Graphics and LAN

suggest me a gud performance RAM also.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old intel heart needs new body!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old intel heart needs new body!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
not worth it

In reply to: Old intel heart needs new body!

If your compouter works OK now and you will be getting a new system soon, then there is not really a reason to get a new motherboad.

What is the make & model of the computer?

What is the motherboard model number? Dwonload and run CPU-Z to discover this.

Collapse -
cpu-z link

In reply to: not worth it

Collapse -
Agreed

In reply to: not worth it

I completely and totally agree with linkit.

Personally i would wait a bit before jumping on the Vista wagon. Also from the stuff i read it's gonna be quite demanding on hardware. Logically you're better off buying or building a new system.

If you do upgrade your old system at best it'll be low to midlevel proformance running Vista. Unless you go all out and build some kind of high proformance heating unit.

That's just my opinion tho.

Collapse -
mobo for $60

Collapse -

I will be buying my new computer soon but wanna update my current machine so that that in future time I will be owning 2 PCs with one giving medicore performance and another uptodate this the reason that I wanna upgrade my current mobo i845 orignal....................to any medicore performer

Collapse -
more to ponder

In reply to: reply

I wrote before that it's not worth it. Maybe it is worth it to you; however, getting the performance improvement you wish may cost you more money that for a new motherboard.

If this is your current motherboard,
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d845gvsr/index.htm
...then you will be looking at the following upgrades:

SAME CPU ON NEW MOTHERBOARD:
Your 2.8GHz P4 CPU could be the 2.8C with 800MHz FSB or the 2.8 with 533MHz FSB; so, you can expect a little boost if you have the 2.8C on a new i865PE or i875P chipset motherboard. Since your current motherboard has a 533MHz FSB, I suspect that your P4 CPU is the 533MHz FSB model. You will have to remove the old thermal compound from the CPU and heatsink, and then apply fresh compound when you move to the new motherboard.

NEW MEMORY:
You will be able to put faster memory in the new motherboard. Something like two 512MB modules of PC3200 (DDR400) RAM.

NEW VIDEO CARD:
A good AGP 8X video card will help.

NEW PSU:
You will likely need a new PSU (more Watts and likely a better brand) to handle a good video card. SATA connectors on the PSU will come in handy, too.

NEW CASE:
Your current motherboard is micro-ATX and you might have a micro-ATX case. You can get micro-ATX motherboards for your CPU with AGP8X, but you lose PCI slots. If you need PCI slots for a modem, soundcard, and something else, then you may not have enough slots for micro-ATX. If you get a Full ATX size motherboard, then you will need a new case.

I'm not necessarily saying, ''don't do it.'' I just want to make sure that you know what cost you might be getting into.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.