PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Old harddrive in different PC -- Freezing on Boot -- Advice?

by toodvs4u / January 17, 2006 8:59 AM PST

My work PC died quietly in the night. (PS, MOBO, CPU) but the harddrive functions. I have reports on this drive that are due yesterday.

Since I'm the IT department, I thought I would swap the drive into a working computer that I have at home. Both computers are XP Pro. The computer boots, "the windows did not start normally" screen comes up-- and no matter what option I choose it freezes and will not boot into safe mode.

I'm thinking it's a driver issue due to the old computer being Intel based and the New one is AMD based. Otherwise I'm dead in the water until we replace my work computer.

Here's my question: Should I do a re-install of Windows Xp? What is my danger of losing data? Are there any better ideas than what I am doing?

Any input is appreciated.

New machine is a SOYO MOBO with a 1.8GHZ AMD (athalon?) chip, 680+ MB ram. It worked fine with the previous harddrive (a Seagate 40GB). The new drive is a WD 80 GB, already loaded with XP Pro.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old harddrive in different PC -- Freezing on Boot -- Advice?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old harddrive in different PC -- Freezing on Boot -- Advice?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Win XP will not take kindly
by Ray Harinec / January 17, 2006 9:17 AM PST

to being put into a new [diffetrent] system. XP has stored data on all of the original and that was made the only acceptable to it when you activated it.

If the switch were to be permanent MS MIGHT allow uopu to make the exchange and give you the info on how to re validate it in the new system. Doubt if your reason will suffice. Taking from a commercial company's computer to a home computer will go over like a lead baloon.

Collapse -
Harddrive remains property of the company
by toodvs4u / January 17, 2006 9:49 AM PST

I'm just offering up one of my old computers as a loaner to shorten the time I'm without a work Pc. I work for a non-profit and it could be over a month before I see parts to repair the old computer at work. We have several unused legal Windows XP PRO liscences (Microsoft is very generous to non-profits.) -- this is not the issue. (Although it is my understanding the XP PRO is supposed to allow you to make 4 major hardware changes before it asks you to re-activate.)

I've done this before -- I'm just concerned about data loss.

I'm starting to think it may be better to piggy-back this drive on the drive that was orginally in the AMD computer. (which I really don't want to do...)

And I agree, taking a company harddrive for home use would go over like a lead ballon -- but that's not what I'm doing here. Thanks for the input.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help -- Problem resolved for now.
by toodvs4u / January 18, 2006 5:18 PM PST

I ended up piggy-baking the company drive onto one of my drives. Not my first choice but data-integrity was vital in this case. That company drive has been backed up to a fare-thee-well now. LOL

However, if anyone else should have this problem, you can reinstall Xp as a repair install and it will update the proper drivers to the new Pc the harddrive is in. You will need your CD Key. Activation is another story, but Microsoft is pretty decent about most diasters.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?