Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

old hard drive retrieval?

My old Dell dimension 2400 (windows xp)took a lightning hit. Our local techie diagnosed the power supply and motherboard were fried. He says he can retrieve our old hard drives data for $100 or so. Being a cheapskate, I'm looking at installing the old hd into a new computer, and recovering the data. I've found sites that describe how to do it with master and slave and jumpers, etc. It looks fairly easy.
I've also seen where people have created more problems for themselves with booting problems, etc.
My new computer is a Dell Vostro, with Windows Vista.
Any advice out there?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: old hard drive retrieval?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: old hard drive retrieval?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look into...

In reply to: old hard drive retrieval?

I've found a great ext. adapter that provides links for HD, CD an even laptop HDs.. Checkout at http://www.geeks.com th adapter call AD-2020 if i remember right. This can later be used for items so its very useful.

Yes, you can connect the old HD your int. cabling just follow the convention being used, sale&master. But many newer systems use the CS cabling scheme, thus its the only other type available.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
external enclosure

So, after further research, it looks like the way for me to go would be to buy an external hard drive enclosure. Cheap. $13.49 on ebay.
Any comments out there?
Thanks,
C

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: external enclosure

If you buy that you'll be saving money yet make sure you pay close attention to the instructions.

We don't want you losing anything.

Collapse -
Whatever you do,...

...make sure that you set the computer's boot sequence to boot from the drive that came with it; you do NOT want the new PC to try to boot from the old hard drive.

But you need not spend $100 to retrieve data from a serviceable hard drive.

Collapse -
Hard drive enclosure problems

In reply to: Whatever you do,...

So I got the enclosure, and hooked it all up. It seemed to load the drivers, okay, but I can't seem to access the hard drive. Shouldn't it come up in the "drives" window, like my flash drive does? Could it be something to do with Windows Vista?
Or should there be a specific jumper setting on the old drive?
Thanks,
C

Collapse -
The jumpers on the HDD in the external case...

In reply to: Hard drive enclosure problems

...should be set to Master, AIR. If that doesn't work, then you MIGHT have a bad controller chip on the HDD due to the lightning, in which case you will have a real problem getting anything out of it...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.