PC Hardware forum

General discussion

old hard drive, new computer

by scooper0625 / March 4, 2009 4:37 PM PST

Hope somebody can help!
Built a new computer for my mother, using the MSI K8T Neo2 (v 2.0) MOBO, with the AMD Athlon 64 processor. Got everything in place (memory, video card, etc.), and tried to install old hard drive, but computer would not boot. Basically, just keeps "looping" (boots to screen where it prompts to boot from "safe mode," etc.). Tried different hard drives, system would start to boot just fine; also, old drive boots on old MOBO just fine.
Pretty sure the drive is corrupted.
What I have tried so far:
Original XP disc is gone, and tried to do "repair" install with new Windows CD (can't do "fresh" install, because setting / applications will not map over--big problem).
The XP disc I got will not allow a repair installation to be done for some reason.
Going to try some specialized recovery software (on order), but thought I would seek other help in the meantime.
Sorry for the long post!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: old hard drive, new computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: old hard drive, new computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: old hard drive in new PC.
by Kees Bakker / March 4, 2009 5:21 PM PST

That generally doesn't work. There's nothing wrong with the drive (so far) nor with the data on it. It's just that the software installed for the old mobo doesn't work with the new one. No need for data recovery software at all.

All you've got to do: a fresh clean install (after formatting) from a XP CD.
If the original one (that you can't find at the moment) was OEM, the old license isn't valid and won't allow activation, so you'll have to buy another license (and the CD comes with it) anyway.
If the original one was a retail version, you might be able to buy a replacement CD with Microsoft. And you'll have to convince them it's a valid legitimate transfer from the old machine to the new one to have them do a manual activation.

Kees

Collapse -
In plain terms...
by Willy / March 5, 2009 1:41 AM PST

You can not use an old HD from one system and install in another(as main "C" HD) and expect it to work. XP and later based OS's won't allow that to happen. You need a new or another HD in order to install the XP OS. Once done, you can add the old HD either as slave(or CS) or install in USB ext. case unit and then access data that way. You maintain you have a XP disc, but not what type, it's important as OEM(Dell, Gateway, etc.) don't work in DIY setups. No matter what you hear, its not Kosher or a heck of more work than expected and it breaks the EULA rules. Further, there are OEM(generic) discs that's made for DIY'ers and should have this type or yet a full retail version and if applicable the upgrade version. Once you have this in your hands, things will become more forthright. If you continue too try a repair, you may well corrupt data and make it useless or less stable.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?