Question

Old hard drive

I have a friend that asked if I could get some files off his old hard drive. I have a Usb to sata/ide cable. Hooked up the old hard drive which is an xp system to my laptop which is windows 7. Drive shows up on my laptop and i can actually copy files to it and move them and use it like a flash drive. I can't see any of their files. When I run properties it shows 35 gig used so the files are there I just can't see them. Is there some piece of software I'm missing or a setting I'm forgetting? Please help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Old hard drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Old hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Try the software and titles noted in the CNET Storage Forum.
- Collapse -
Answer
Folder Options

I'm not sure exactly what your problem is but the files might be "Hidden Files". Unless you have changed the folder settings yourself then windows is set to hide them by default, to change this search "Folder Options" > View, then the first Sub section should be "Hidden Files and Folders", make sure it is set to "Show" and then take another look on the drive. Not sure that this will fix it but its an option.
Another option if the files need recovering then I have heard that a good piece of freeware to use is "PC i Recovery" which can be found on google. You could give that a try to see if it works.

- Collapse -
Answer
Just to add this . . .

Knowing the type of files might tell us where they are located. Documents, pictures, music, etc. are usually stored in the (default) My Documents folders under specific folders for the previous file types.

CNET Forums