Computer Help forum

General discussion

OLD DOT MATRIX PRINTER PROBLEM

by DESARCO / September 18, 2009 8:54 AM PDT

I HAVE AN OLD PRINTER, THE PANASONIC KX-P1123, A 24 PIN, NARROW CARRIAGE DOT MATRIX PRINTER. THE PRINTER LOOKS FINE, SPECIALLY WHEN A SELF-TEST PRINT IS OBTAINED FROM THE PRINTER, BUT IT CAN?T WORK FINE WHEN CONNECTED TO THE P.C., A (NOT TOO) OLD DURON(PENTIUM III COMPATIBLE) ENGINE WITH 256MB RAM. SIMPLY THE FONTS PRINTED LOOK COMPRESED VERTICALLY ONE LINE OR ANOTHER, OR A BLUR PRINT IS OBTAINED WHEN PRINTING IN SIMPLE TEXT-ONLY MODE.

I MUST SAY THAT THE PRINTER HAS BEEN CONNECTED TO THE P.C. USING DEFFERENT VERSIONS OF WINDOWS O.S. AND M.S.OFFICE SUITE TOO, AND THE INTERFACE CABLE IS SHORT ENOUGH TO ASSURE GOOD TRANSMISSION, BUT OFFERING THE SAME DISLAKING RESULTS. I MUST SAY TOO THAT MOST OF THIS SOFTWARE ARE UNHAUTHORIZED COPIES FROM THE ORIGINAL ONES. FINALLY, AN OLD EPSON DOT MATRIX PRINTER HAS BEEN CONNECTED TO THE SAME P.C. AND SAME SOFTWARE, OFFERING A MUCH BETTER PRINTING.

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM, OTHERWISE THE PRINTER WILL GO WASTE.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OLD DOT MATRIX PRINTER PROBLEM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OLD DOT MATRIX PRINTER PROBLEM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Old stuff
by Willy / September 18, 2009 10:39 AM PDT

Dot matrix prtrs. followed a different set-up during the old days. 1st, you need to verify is this is LPT1 or COM1, in other words, serial or parallel printer. Then check the printers own setup within its panel to be sure how it is setup. Then, installed to system using the printer model#, etc. to get it to self-test. If you have no manual, then some where depending on the printer, it may have a decal/sticker or embossed on cover instructions for setup. If this is parallel/LPT1 only, just be sure its LPT1 ready. In the bios setup verify that the LPT1 port is enabled and is bi-directional ready plus the cable must be too. The same for serial operation, though a little more complex, just verify because you gave no clue how this is setup. On top of all that, be sure the prthd. rail(s) are clean and then lubed(light oil) so it slides smoothly during printing.

A quick and dirty way for a simple text only output plus it verifies how the printer itself is setup, is the "generic" setup within windoze. Select "generic" instead of KX-P1123 as the model and then finalize it. The output should be very basic 9-pin text. If not then the printer(itself) has condensed or some mode for its default output. That's where you problem lies. However, being such an old printer it could have had a problem and that's why it wasn't used/stored.

FYI -Take my advice use normal text, don't type your message/post in "CAPITALS" it is considered shouting in the forums.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I know the p1123.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2009 11:03 AM PDT

I sold hundreds of them. This model could emulate Epson FX-80 or such. So depending on the switch settings it could be an Epson, Panasonic and even the IBM Proprinter. The CPI was also set with the switches.

Fast forward what is over a decade and few remember this arcana.

Good luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!