Desktops forum

General discussion

old desktop running like a dog...although some dogs run well

by bucky236 / May 3, 2007 7:43 AM PDT

Greetings...older Dell running WinME...have a new laptop so haven't dealt with the old computer but now I have some time...

It's running very odd...if it's on too long then problems get worse...it "skips and stalls"...I'm sure there is a better term...for example the clock will end up being way behind...other programs don't run well...Disk Fragmenter doesn't do anything...etc.

How can I clean it up and then any suggestions on what to do with an old computer?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: old desktop running like a dog...although some dogs run well
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: old desktop running like a dog...although some dogs run well
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you been keeping up with the yearly cleaning.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 7:48 AM PDT

You know, cover off, dust it out, a shot of compressed air on the heatsinks then check the fans and button it up?

Bob

Collapse -
no
by bucky236 / May 4, 2007 1:35 AM PDT

I'm a medical student and the computer was in storage for a year...it started to run poorly before I moved it into storage...

Collapse -
winME
by nvo / May 4, 2007 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: no

winME is not really supported anymore by MS i dont think. So OS performance is not an option. Virus check it.

Collapse -
Reinstall option
by linkit / May 4, 2007 2:15 AM PDT

As another poster mentioned, you probably want to clean it of viruses and spyware. You could install antivirus and antispyware utilities and complete the scans.

If you haven't reinstalled the OS in a long time, it's probably a good idea to start fresh now. Format the hard drive and reinstall Windows ME or a free Linux distribution.

I'd just format and install the free Linux distribution.

Collapse -
?
by bucky236 / May 4, 2007 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall option

thanks for your response...pardon my naivity but I don't know what installing the Linux distribution means or where I'd get it. Would I need to back up all my files prior?

Collapse -
Always backup before a clean install of an OS
by linkit / May 4, 2007 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: ?

Linux is is an operating system (OS). There are many different Linux distributions (versions) available.

Here is one website's opinion of a top ten list:
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Lately I have been using free PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu.

You would need to backup all important files before performing a clean/fresh install of any OS, including any Linux distribution or Windows version.

It's a good idea to have a Linux distribution around on a Live CD. The Live CD allows you to run the OS from the CD without installing it to the hard drive. It's a great for getting a feel for a Linux distribution without having to install it to your hard drive. The Live CD usually gives you an option for installing it to your hard drive.

Live CD's are also valuable troubleshooting and recovery tools, too. If Windows ME is damaged and you can't access your personal files, boot to the Live CD and copy your files to external or removable media. If you aren't sure if your hardware is malfunctioning or your OS is causing the problem, boot to the Live CD; if the hardware works with the Live CD, then it's very likely that your OS software was causing the problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?