PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Old Dell box upgrade

Acquired a cast off Dell that was on a network somewhere. Processor shows up as x386. Doesn't have blazing speed. Ram expressed as 250,000+ kb. Runs win2000 for networks, service pack 4. Has a bunch of Adobe editing stuff installed. If I fill up the Ram with as much as I can find do you think it will make a good backup?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old Dell box upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old Dell box upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Old Dell box upgrade

In reply to: Old Dell box upgrade

386s are dumpster finds. My bet is it's Windows For Workgroups, which was a nice version of Windows 3.1

If it is a 386, it's just a curiosity and nothing more.

Bob

Collapse -

You want to play, play, but if you want to be serious get your hands on at least a Pentium based system and even then look any system at least 500Mhz or better for a back-up. There really are alot of systems to be had, if you keep your eyes&ears open before it gets pitched. Excluding any used websites, etc. local outlets like Goodwill or Sal. Army may provide something or your local church. Any decent sized company pitchs systems all year long, rather than pay to recycle. Sad Check it out...

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -

Where did you find the "Processor shows up as x386.?

I'm almost positive windows 2000 won't run on a 386 and I have never seen a 386 that would hold 250mb of ram?

I'm guessin you probably got a 500mhz or somewhere between p2 to p3 computer. If it has decent hard drive space then keep it around.

Go to Start/ Run/ and type dxdiag... If direct x is installed it sould give you a better idea of bios version, os, processor speed ram etc.

Collapse -
your info ain't right...

Ludedude is right. You probably have a x586, PII or PIII, a good system to rehab.
Look see what ram it is, 168pin? (pc66 pc100?)
what size hard drive?
EXCEPT, you'll need different mobo drivers for Win98 or WinXP (if it's fast enough).
I suspect the mobo went south because it doesn't read properly, if you are correct.
Win2k drivers for modem-sound might be twitchy to find, as well as software. Is it FAT32 or NTFS?
What do you mean by backup?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.