Computer Help forum

General discussion

old computer to new computer transfer

old computer has all my photos on it , want to transfer these to the new one. How do I do it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: old computer to new computer transfer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: old computer to new computer transfer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Three methods

In reply to: old computer to new computer transfer

1: Set up a simple network
2: Use removable media such as CDs or DVDs
3: Install old computer's HDD into the new computer

Collapse -
Three methods

In reply to: Three methods

Jackson is correct. To establich a simple network, however, you need to buy a cable which will connect the two ethernet plug-in sockets. These look like telephone sockets on steroids. The cable is about $35 at BestBuy.
With it, you will establish a simple network and can transfer info from one computer to the other.

Collapse -
$35??!!

You'd better be getting a 25ft crossover cable for that price! I know Best Buy tends to gouge a bit on prices, but that's a bit overboard. You should be able to find it for far less on sites like NewEgg or even Amazon.

You can also avoid the crossover cable by using a switch or hub, and then two lengths of standard ethernet patch cable. You could even get two wireless cards and create an ad-hoc network between the two. There's even USB crossover cables, though I don't recommend those to anyone. It's not what USB was designed for, unlike ethernet, and it's harder to find help if something goes wrong.

Collapse -
tranferring photos from old computer to new

when the two units are connected will there be a command as to how to accomplish the transfer?

Collapse -
Re: transferring files

In reply to: tranferring photos from old computer to new

If the 2 computers are connected, and rightly configured (the easiest way to do so seems to be the Windows XP home network wizard) you can use Windows Explorer to copy the files from the 'remote' drive to the 'local' drive.

You might prefer, however, using a USB-stick, CD-burner or external hard disk as medium to copy the files to and from. The choice is yours.

Kees

Collapse -
The easiest way I found.

In reply to: Re: transferring files

I purchased a 160 gig external hard drive for my old computer before I found out that I need a new computer. I put all my photos and music on that. It eliminates the need to move files from one computer to another and I can take it with me if I need to.

Collapse -
And What Happens WHEN???

In reply to: The easiest way I found.

...the external drive dies? (All hard drives will eventually die and become unusable. The question is only "WHEN"?) Do you have hard copy backups of that large external drive?

Sticking to the topic of this thread, an external drive IS A GOOD WAY for transferring files from one location to another, but it's always a good to know it's limitations.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.