Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

old components fornew computer

by jwr144 / September 7, 2010 4:32 PM PDT

I am building a new computer (first time), and I was wondering which components, if any, I could use from my old system. It's about 5 years old and i would really like to keep some components such as the power supply, and cd drive. I'm going to beat getting an Asus motherboard and a new CPU obviously but at this point i confess i am a little bit lost and intimidated. I don't want to see shelling out cash 4 parts that i do not need. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: old components fornew computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: old components fornew computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
eww
by jwr144 / September 7, 2010 4:35 PM PDT

Sorry 4 any spelling mistakes in my initial post. My current computer is down and i m writing this using speech to text tool on my phone

Collapse -
(NT) What is your budget and what is the intended use ?
by VAPCMD / September 7, 2010 11:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
monies
by jwr144 / September 8, 2010 8:12 AM PDT

well i plan on spending right around 800 by the end of this project, but even if my budget was in the thousands, i'm not the kind of guy who will buy brand new stuff just because he can afford it. so regardless of my budget, i'd still like to know if keeping items like the power supply is possible, or if it is ill-advised.

Collapse -
(NT) And what's the intended use ?
by VAPCMD / September 8, 2010 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: monies
Collapse -
Mah Video games
by jwr144 / September 8, 2010 3:44 PM PDT

the computer will be used for a few Blizzard games, office work, and my wifes schoolwork, as well as doing the normal internet surfing and stuff. I'm mostly looking to make a computer that can be considered a "Non-hardcore gaming" computer, but I also want it to be ugradeable a few years from now.

Collapse -
New/old
by pgc3 / September 8, 2010 12:02 AM PDT

The problem with doing that is that depending on the MB, some and possibly all of your old items may be incompatible, best to do some research before you jump in.

Collapse -
coolness
by jwr144 / September 8, 2010 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: New/old

Do you have a specific place I could go to find that information? I would love to find a basic!"ho to" guide or something of that nature.

Collapse -
It would be better....
by Papa Echo / September 8, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

... to upgrade your old computer, rather than using parts from it to build a "new" computer.... Surely, there is not much difference ? [ that is, if you are not going new for the sake of it.] Building a new computer means getting a new Mother-board. With a lapse of 5 years or more, MOBOs are much improved and with more features. Your old parts will likely not be compatible. Even the case it self may not fit...the CD ROM may be going south...and Hard Disks - the new MOBO now supports SATA [cheaper]....

Collapse -
It is going to be a VERY big upgrade
by jwr144 / September 8, 2010 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: It would be better....

With my current computer I'm using an Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 and I cant even upgrade the cpu to a Quad core without first replacing the motherboard. the socket just cant hold one. The graphics card is very outdated and I have to run realtively low graphics games like World Of Warcraft on minimum settings just to get 20 frames per second (rarely more than that). God only knows what's wrong with this internal hardrive.
As for the parts I want to re-use...not all of them are old. the cd rom is fairly new (less than a year old) and the wireless network interface card is fairly new. The POWERSUPPLY however is the same one that came with the computer when I bought it. The portable media drive is also "stock" if you will.
I'm just looking for maybe a reference page or somewhere i can go to find out if these "older" used parts will be compatable with the new stuff i am buying.

Collapse -
Exactly what components do you have now ?
by VAPCMD / September 8, 2010 11:51 PM PDT

Perhaps adding RAM or a new video card and PSU might be enough to get you where you want to go. And if you get good stuff, that may be the carry over to the next MB, CPU, RAM upgrade

Here's a link that you might look at for reference.

http://www.pcper.com/hwlb.php

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?