Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Old Canon innova book 350 cd

by owlidays / April 9, 2006 1:13 PM PDT

My son had this notebook given to him.

Running Win 95
Canon Innova Book 350 cd 100/540

I had it up and running,but when I put the cd-rom drive in to reinstall Win 95 nothing happens, now when I boot it up it will go to the windows startup screen and then the screen will say It is now safe to turn off your computer. I will take all the help I can get.

Thank You
Flora

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old Canon innova book 350 cd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old Canon innova book 350 cd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: old notebook
by Kees Bakker / April 9, 2006 5:26 PM PDT

Flora,

Depends on the CD you've got.

Standard Windows 95 CD's aren't bootable, so you need a boot diskette (with CD-support) to use them. You can download a program to make one from www.bootdisk.com; be sure to choose the right one.

Notebooks, however, often come with a ready-made recovery CD with all the drivers and custom software that isn't on a standard Windows 95 CD. That should boot, provided the BIOS is set to boot from CD first.
Even if you manage to install standard Windows 95 from a standard Windows 95 CD, it's doubtful you'll get it working in my opinion.

Kees

Collapse -
Documented behaviour
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 10:09 PM PDT

Read http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=141898

Keep in mind that Windows 95 is from another era where we were expected to edit files, copy files from the command line and supply a slew of drivers. These older OSes may be too much for those that don't want to become gurus. Nothing wrong about that, but they do frustrate people when they discover how much work it took to install and find the drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
W95(A) used a different DOS than W95B-C...
by reefurbb / April 11, 2006 10:19 AM PDT

which is why you can't use a W98SE boot floppy with CDrom support...maybe...if your original is A.
Bootdisk.com will find you a DOS 6.22 or W95A boot floppy (better), where you can "sys C:" and get it to boot again.
You'll need the W95 "product key".
Why reinstall 95? troubles?
As Robert sayeth, you'll lose the drivers and Canon Utilities, unless you copy off the whole old hard drive.
See a previous recent post about "95 to 98".

Collapse -
Reason?
by owlidays / April 11, 2006 1:33 PM PDT

The win 95 that is on the hard drive doesn't have internet explorer, outlook express or wordpad. That is the reason I was trying to reinstall 95. If I can
get it back to the way it was, I'll be happy.

Before I forget, I want to say thanks to all that have replied to my post.

CNET is the greatest.

Flora

Collapse -
control panel-add/remove programs...
by reefurbb / April 12, 2006 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Reason?

windows setup (center tab). Checkmark catagories/sub catagories of W95 stuff you want. Uncheck and recheckmark them if yhey show as installed but you don't think they are there. You'll be asked to insert W95 installation CD to extract files from. Pretty simple and no need for reinstall.

Collapse -
Here I go again..
by owlidays / April 13, 2006 12:10 PM PDT

I can't get anywhere no matter what I try.
I've tried the start up disk and I get can't run
windows without vmm32.vxd,reinstall win 95. That's what I was trying to do when this problem happened.

I can't get anywhere from the a:\ drive and I don't know what the cd rom drive is on this old thing as you have to remove the floppy drive and insert the cd rom drive. In the setup utility the boot setup is automatic.

I have gone to the website that was suggested to get the vmm.32.vxd file and I haven't gotten anywhere.

Suggestions?

Thank You

Collapse -
Here I go again, catch me if you can...(song)..
by reefurbb / April 14, 2006 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Here I go again..

1. you don't have an external caddy to plug in the floppy drive to a rear port; SYS C: from a boot floppy won't work because you need vmm32.vxd to boot W95; your Canon won't boot from CDrom drive, according to your boot order; even so, it won't boot the W95 installation CD (or did you start it once and it quit?); you don't know what version W95 you have.
2. if you had the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter for laptop Hdd to IDE cable, you could slave it on another PC; SYS C:; and copy the W95 folder from the CD to the Hdd;
then boot from a floppy to A:\> and type C: (enter) to switch to C: drive; then C:\win95\setup and go go.
3. Otherwise, you'll have to see My Profile and email me to possibly mail your Hdd so I can load the folder for you.
So far as I found: no support for this notebook; appears to be a PI, 100mhz, 540mb Hdd, which isn't large enough if you want updated to go online with this unit. I would be copying off the Hdd and burn a CD copy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.