Desktops forum

General discussion

Old but perfectly working Dell Dimension.

by valerie fasig / February 21, 2010 6:53 AM PST

Recently, I decided to format the hard drive in order to get rid of some old programs and start afresh with more room. I formatted and it works perfectly. Trouble is, it doesn't seem to have any more room. It also lists all the programs that should have been erased. Methinks there was something wrong with the format and I might have two of them on the same drive. I have WinXP. When it starts, it asks me to choose which program I would like to use and lists two just the same. It is, of course quite possible that I have no idea what is wrong. I always have to wait to pick a program and then it works but with very little memory

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thank you.
Valerie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Old but perfectly working Dell Dimension.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Old but perfectly working Dell Dimension.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep, double install . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 21, 2010 9:42 PM PST

How did you format? Actually, you didn't or there would be only one OS. Tell us exactly what you did and with what. Do you have the XP CD?

Collapse -
Double install for Coryphaeus
by valerie fasig / February 21, 2010 11:28 PM PST

I used the Dell WinXP disk which came with my computer. I followed all the instructions and it told me that it was formatted. I thought that maybe the problem came from partitioning. I didn't want to and didn't try.
Thanks for helping me.

Collapse -
System reload
by Willy / February 22, 2010 12:56 AM PST

I suggest you use either DBAN or KILLDISK to totally wipeout the HD. That way, you can truly start anew and provided you the orginal OEM install discs, reload the system back to day 1. If so, then google for those pgms. and use one. I strongly suggest you get the .ISO version that can be burned to CD and make it "bootable" for ease of use. Hopefully, you understand all this and can proceed once in hand. Otherwise, review the procedure and then start. If all this seems too much, then visit the Dell support website and review the docs. for re-install of OS, etc. and it doesn't matter usually what model Dell, you have provided it is for XP use.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I'll bet . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 22, 2010 1:24 AM PST

you inserted the CD with the computer running.

If you boot from the CD it should do what you ask.

Collapse -
Double installation
by valerie fasig / February 24, 2010 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: I'll bet . . .

Thank you guys for your help. I wish I could tell you what did it. It got worse before better. Anyway, it's up and running and has the original configurations. Now I just have to reconnect to my wireless network and get back on line. I must admit that none of these things are easy for me.

Thanks again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?