PC Hardware forum

old asus motherboard wont power up

by gatgmail / July 8, 2012 11:20 PM PDT

hi guys,

just registered with the forum.
i seem to have encountered a power issue with an old mobo i borrowed from a friend: it wont power on.

it used to work as normal until i got to the point of installing winxp onto it. it just shut down. now whenever i try to power it on, the fans spin like halve a rotation and stops, nothing further happens. the green LED is on. the ram sticks are good -tested them when the mobo powered on as normal. tried 2 different psu with the same result. it cant be heat build up; i moved the mobo into my haf922 mid tower case and even reapplied thermal paste to the cpu just to be sure.

any ideas what i'm missing?

current system:
pentium 4 socket 478
asus P4V8X-MX motherboard
markvision 2x1gb ddr400 pc3200
coolermaster 600watt psu
corsair sata 30gb ssd
hitachi sata 500gb hdd
ibm ide optical drive

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: old asus motherboard wont power up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: old asus motherboard wont power up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Check setup
by Willy / July 8, 2012 11:43 PM PDT

Disconnect all drives. Now boot-up and hit the bios key sequence to enter it. Will it do that? If yes, allow it to display for several minutes and once there be sure to check all settings. if it doesn't do that, you do have some glitch or power issue.

If it works or stays power-ON then re-attach everything. Be 100% sure that any cabling is the proper setup and connections. Also, because you have XP and SATA connection, did you get to supply the drivers when prompted during XP install do that? Not only that but the right ones, your old mtrbd. doe have SATA connections? it isn't being supplied by adapter? Also, did this ever work? If it did, what has changed?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
will check setup at home
by gatgmail / July 9, 2012 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Check setup

hey Willy,

i'll be sure to try powering up the board with all the drives disconnected.

i wasn't even able to install win xp onto the ssd. when it worked, i booted from the windows xp install disc. i wiped both my drives (ssd & hdd) prepping them for install. i had the ssd highlighted as install destination and right before pressing enter the system shut down like it was overheated. the system worked for like half an hour. i was even able to check out the bios settings before the mobo went lights out.

the motherboard has 2 sata connectors (i know, even i was surprised).

All Answers

Collapse -
A quick search found discussions about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 12:05 AM PDT

1. BAD CAPS (see google on what to look for)
2. The BIOS battery was flat (use a Volt meter to measure)
3. Dead power supplies.
4. Misconfigurations (PWR switch unplugged, bad button, etc.)

Remember that the symptom has many causes.

Collapse -
i should check out the following
by gatgmail / July 9, 2012 2:45 AM PDT

hi Proffitt,

i'll be sure to check out the motherboard for bad caps. as far as i can tell, i have eliminated the psu, bios battery and the front panel connectors.

psu: i swapped mine for one of my friend's, same result.
bios battery: i had a spare battery, swapped it with the existing one, same result.
front panel conn: followed the online pdf manual for instructions. must admit its connects different from modern motherboards, still, no luck.

guess i should be start searching for bad capacitors.

Collapse -
by gatgmail / July 9, 2012 10:00 PM PDT

following your advice and looking for bad caps, i believe i found the problem: north of the cpu socket there are 3 caps of which the far right capacitor looks a lot more rounded on the top compared to the previous 2; swollen. one of the sure signs of a bad capacitors (swollen/leaking/popped top).

Q: if i have this capacitor replace, does this mean that the mobo will return to its normal power functioning self?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: update

Better than half the time so a good find.

But be sure not to fall for the "that one doesn't look so bad" because ANY defect means it's defective. ANY swelling, leak, blown bottom and so on means it's suspect.

When it comes to this issue, perfection is the only passing criteria.

By now I'm sure you know why this happened. Also, the board makers were swapping out those boards because no one wanted to get hammered in the law suits. Be sure to ask HP, etc for a new board.

Collapse -
Replacing caps
by Willy / July 11, 2012 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: update

If this cap is part of a group or bank of caps, replace them all. Like the one row, as more than likely the remaining caps will also be prone to failure. So, just doing one isn't always going to work, thus the whole bank especially if they are the same.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
good point
by gatgmail / July 12, 2012 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Replacing caps

i did not even consider that. replacing that one single bad cap was all i had in mind. its a very old board so yeah, those caps should be pretty worn out by this time.

i'll keep you posted.

Collapse -
Those swollen caps are not "worn out." More
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2012 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: good point
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?