Speakeasy forum

General discussion

OK, y'all - I believe I've taken complete leave of my senses

by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 2:44 AM PDT

Here's the deal ---

Most of y'all know that I have worked at our local computer/internet service store for about 6 1/2 years; and also part-time as a Social Worker at our local Hospice agency for about 5 years. Since June 13th, I have had a horrible struggle with the idea of going back to my Hospice work, and have been on Bereavement Leave since then.

Last month, my folks and my fiance approached me with the idea of me owing the computer store. I laughed and told them they were nuts! I wasn't smart enough to be successful in owing my own business.

Needless to say, they were serious, and have convinced me to make a go of it. The deal should be finalized by next week.

HOLY INSANITY, BATMAN!!!!

I will become the owner of a full-service computer store. We provide custom-built machines. We provide repair and maintenance services. We are an internet service provider for both dial-up and wireless broadband. The current owner has been in business here for 20 years.

Besides our local phone company (CenturyTel) who provides dial-up and DSL, we are the only game in town. We currently have a population of about 3,000 people, with about 6,000 in the whole county. Pretty small, I know Wink As of September 1, a new 400-bed prison facility built here will be "open for business" (it is already staffed, and inmates will be transferred in Sept.).

Projections are that our population will increase somewhere between double and triple within the next five years. Don't know - but there have already been many changes.

I'm both excited and scared out of my mind!

I think it's time for me to ask for some more prayers from y'all!!! LOL

--Marcia

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OK, y'all - I believe I've taken complete leave of my senses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OK, y'all - I believe I've taken complete leave of my senses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You've got them!
by Cindi Haynes / August 24, 2005 2:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you, Cindi :)
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: You've got them!

I will be giving it my best shot!

Collapse -
YOU GO GIRL!!!
by Evie / August 24, 2005 3:04 AM PDT

I'm sure that IF this doesn't work out, you will still have those other opportunities available to you. It sounds like you have a WONDERFUL support system which will be a great asset for anyone owning their own business. You've demonstrated nothing but a great intellect in your postings here for the things that really matter for running such a business. I'm SURE you'll do great. When can I buy stock? Wink

Best of luck Marcia!!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Thank you for the words of encouragement, Evie
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: YOU GO GIRL!!!

I do have a wonderful support system, and it is because of them that I feel I have a fighting chance to make this a success.

The man I'm buying the store from, Bill, has been my one and only mentor for the computer business. He has taught me everything I know, and I now have much more to learn. Bill has worked with computer technology since it was in its infancy - his knowledge is vast. I will learn all I can, and continue to learn as this ever-changing business evolves. My biggest asset, however, is customer relations. I already have a large following of folks who only come in the store when I am there. They will be my best advertising Happy

Collapse -
Here's another deal for you
by TONI H / August 24, 2005 3:39 AM PDT

to ponder. If you get to the point where you think an 800 number for live either on-line or live phone tech support is needed, count me in. If you lived closer, I'd actually show up at your door and apply for a job.

What a wonderful opportunity for you.....envious here, to be honest.....and wishing you everything good that can be imaginable, and with an imagination, the dreams and realities fall into place.

I have a suspicion that the name will be changing shortly to something 'soaring with the stars'.......

TONI

Collapse -
i knew her when she was just............
by jonah jones / August 24, 2005 4:00 AM PDT

way to go Marcia!!!

good luck to you....

:-x)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL! Good one, Jonah! :)
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
What wonderful things you have said, Toni
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:37 PM PDT

I would love to believe my little business can grow to the point of offering tech support as you mentioned. I promise to keep you in mind. Happy

In regards to the name ... right now it is Gooselake Computing and Internet Service (There is a lake by that name nearby, BTW). I will leave it at that for awhile, but we have already discussed some possible names for the future. I think it would be fun to have the help of the folks here to do that. And, yes, "something soaring with the stars" has been on the top of our list. Wink

Collapse -
WOW!!
by Glenda / August 24, 2005 3:57 AM PDT

You won't need the prayers you will do great! BUT because you asked I will pray for you:)
Way to go!!
Sue

Collapse -
Thanks, Sue
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:39 PM PDT
In reply to: WOW!!

Prayers are always a good thing.

I have already had our local Trinity Baptist pastor bless the store. Pastor Eric is also our Hospice Spiritual Caregiver, he is one of the truly special ones. Happy

Collapse -
We had Friends
by Glenda / August 24, 2005 3:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Sue

That Blessed our business when we opened our Coffee Shop! It does make you feel special. We kept the business for 6 years, until Jim started feeling so bad.
He was aked to take it back over, But as I grew up in one I was glad to be out of it! Just have fun and every thing else will work out:)
Sue

Collapse -
It's hard to soar with the eagles if you dream small, Marcia

I'm sure you'll do just fine, and my thoughts and prayers go with you. Sadly, we'll probably see less of you here, though...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
LOL, DK! I thought when I first started reading
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:44 PM PDT

your subject line, that it was going to be the one about turkeys! Grin

But you are right - and over the last few years I have felt that I was not "growing" in the way that I had wished. Truly being successful and focused and satisfied. I loved both of my jobs, but still felt disjointed at times, going from Hospice to the computer store. After June 13th, I knew I needed to make a move, but was unsure what to do. I would like to have some sort of "worth" to leave for Kelton someday, and had started on that path when I purchased a home a year and a half ago. I hope now to add to that.

See less of me? Don't know about that! You may see me more! I will be asking for free advice!! LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good luck!
by Dan McC / August 24, 2005 4:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, Dan :)
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Good luck!
Collapse -
Way to go Marcia...
by Rolway / August 24, 2005 4:39 AM PDT

Wish you all the best and great sucess in your new business venture. For you, it should be a snap. You already know how to work with people and thats most of the battle. The rest is academic and fun. Go for it.

George

Collapse -
Thanks, George. I'll save these messages
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Way to go Marcia...

and reread them over time. We will see how correct you are then!! LOL

I know about the challenges of owning your own business in a small town. My parents had a small grocery store and custom meat cutting business as I was growing up. I will look to them for advice and counsel.

Collapse -
Good for you.
by James Denison / August 24, 2005 10:01 AM PDT

I think it will be a great move in your life at just the right time too. Wish you all the best with it.

Collapse -
I pray you are right, James
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Good for you.

I truly do. My energy level has been at an all-time low recently, but I am hoping that with this new venture, I will bounce back.

I am excited about it all - and terrified at the same time.

Collapse -
Holy Moly! What a great turn in your life!
by Dragon / August 24, 2005 12:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
Fireworks, no less!! Wonderful
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:48 PM PDT

Thank you, Dragon Happy

Collapse -
You're very lucky if you can make a living
by duckman / August 24, 2005 12:33 PM PDT

doing what you love to do

Collapse -
You're right, Duckman
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:52 PM PDT

I have felt an affinity for computer work since I fell into it about six and a half years ago.

I had needed a job badly, and Bill needed someone to help in the store part-time as a clerk to assist his wife. The evening after my first day at work he called me to let me know that he was on his way to the hospital with his wife, and would I open the store the next day! LOL! I said "Sure, but I don't know anything yet." Bill said, "That's okay. We trust you to wing it as best you can." I ended up working full-time for them for almost two years after that, then switching to part-time when I needed to take the job at Hospice for the insurance benefits. I fell in love with working with the machines, and helping the folks who had them.

Collapse -
You've got mine. May God grant you the desires of your heart
by Kiddpeat / August 24, 2005 12:42 PM PDT
Wink
Collapse -
Thanks, KP
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:53 PM PDT

I'm praying the Big Guy is on my side as well as beside me Wink

Collapse -
My best wishes for a great success. You can do it!
by crowsfoot / August 24, 2005 1:30 PM PDT

One word: Cameras.

Collapse -
Thanks Crowfoot
by MarciaB / August 24, 2005 1:54 PM PDT

I'll keep it in mind Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.