Speakeasy forum

Rant

OK...where did my right click open in new window go?

by TONI H / October 11, 2011 8:49 PM PDT

About a week ago, the forums (SE) changed.....The fonts are different and I've again lost the ability to right click a topic and open in new window is gone from the menu options. It's only with CNET forums that I have this problem....all other sites still allow it, including the search page for CNET. The fonts aren't what I prefer, but I can live with it....having to continuously use the back button to load up the forum list page to keep reading topics is a pain. How do I get my right click menu back that includes 'open in new window'?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OK...where did my right click open in new window go?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OK...where did my right click open in new window go?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: right click
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 11, 2011 9:01 PM PDT

In IE9, I've got both Open in new window and open in new tab in my right click menu on the real-time page.
And in Firefox, I just click on the scroll wheel. But that might be an add-on.
So no such problems here at all.

Kees

Collapse -
for a long time
by James Denison / October 11, 2011 9:12 PM PDT

I've had to put in my password to login when in past I could save the login and it would automatically do it for me. It happened back there when they started all that stuff with allowing facebook, yahoo, and other login profiles. I don't want to kill all my cookies to see if that changes it, but I killed everything my daughter may have left on my computer from facebook in that effort. Didn't help, still have to sign in every day now.

As for current incarnation of CNET software, I can right clk and choose "New Tab" or "New Window". Using FF4, which if you've not upgraded to....., Don't. FF4 really drags and hangs up at times.

Collapse -
Had a similar login problem a while ago
by Steven Haninger / October 11, 2011 9:23 PM PDT
In reply to: for a long time

I'm not sure exactly the step sequence but I know that, rather than just close FF, I had to log out of Cnet. I had to delete all Cnet cookies, close and restart FF. After that, I had to have FF allow Cnet cookies and perform a successful login. After that it worked. I expect you may have done that already.

Collapse -
Tried it before
by James Denison / October 11, 2011 11:42 PM PDT

Maybe I missed something. As Kees mentioned, I did the selective cookies removal allowed by FF, maybe missed some third party cookie. I do have it set to only allow third party for each time FF is run, but other sites I sign into have no problem with that set to kill third party cookies on FF shutdown. Maybe I'll check the login code on the page to see what sites need to have cookies removed and refreshed other than just CNET marked cookies. Reason I turn off the third party cookies is so many of them are tracking cookies that have no need to be there more than a session, unless they are data collecting over a period of time.

Collapse -
Re: cookies
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 11, 2011 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried it before

Make new (temporary!) Windows account, login, run Firefox, no add-ons, nothing special, allow all cookies, logon and see what it makes. Then exit and run again. What happens?

Kees

Collapse -
Got it working
by James Denison / October 12, 2011 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: cookies

I turned on third party cookies and set to "till they expire". I then closed the browser, opened it up and logged in, then closed browser again and when I opened to CNET it automatically logged me in. I then left the setting "till they expire" and turned the acceptance of third party cookies off again in FF Options. I closed the browser, then opened it again and CNET still logged me in automatically. So, there's the solution, at least for me, which is a relief since I used a long password, lol. Thanks for the help everyone. I'd given up on it thinking it was something caused by CNET's hookup with facebook and yahoo.

Collapse -
I had something like that.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 11, 2011 9:39 PM PDT

But it works again. I think it involved the privacy settings for third-party cookies in FF. Try experimenting. The selective cookie delete in FF is quite useful, but it can take rather a lot of time if you have a lot of cookies.

Kees

Collapse -
RE: Using FF4, which if you've not upgraded to
by JP Bill / October 11, 2011 10:53 PM PDT

I take it you disregard any update notices.....I'm using FF7.0.1

Collapse -
Update notices?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 11, 2011 10:59 PM PDT

My latest three were from 3.6.20 to 3.6.21 to 3.6.22 to 3.6.23 now. And, as you see, I always do. It's even set to "automatic download and install" for FF itself and add-ons.

I might have forgotten to say yes to 4.0, however, long ago.

Kees

Collapse -
FF 4 and beyond
by James Denison / October 12, 2011 1:37 AM PDT

After upgrading to version 4, and having the problems it caused, I made sure on all other computers for me, wife, kid, to turn off the automatic upgrade option and have them all remain at 3.18 for now. It was some amusement to note how it went so quickly from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7, which indicated to me all of them are probably still nothing more than beta versions like 4 should have been. Is 7 better than 4? I have no idea, but I know 3.18 is better than 4 and I know instead of fixing 4 they kept claiming new complete versions faster than most new beta releases come out, so I've not tried anything that might even be worse, yet. My biggest complaint is how v4 gets stuck on a page while it's loading, even if you want instead to go back and look at some other page already downloaded. It could be the flash ads on the pages, which often have been problematic in the past in all browsers.

Speaking of flash; Anyone have an idea on how to force flash ads to remain silent when the page is in the background, or even silent all the time except when accessed? Even a rollover starts talking or music which is distracting when you aren't even on that page at the time, having let it download in the background. I'm really starting to hate flash almost as much as I refuse to use Real Media anymore.

Collapse -
Re: flash
by Kees Bakker / October 12, 2011 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: FF 4 and beyond

There's a flashblock add-on for FF. Replaces all of the flash one simple 'play button'. That's the other extreme that you might not like either. Anyway, it's free to try.

Kees

Collapse -
Some new info
by TONI H / October 11, 2011 10:32 PM PDT

Deleted all my cookies, history, TIF's....reopened IE8 (can't get IE9 because it doesn't work with XP), and still crappy fonts and no right click, open in new window option. But I can press CTL/SHIFT and left click and it opens the topic in a new tab without losing the original topics page. This is only happening at CNET in the forums themselves....other links on CNET's pages all work with a right click, open in new window option showing in the menu. So what's the deal with the forums change and why doesn't it conform with the rest of the CNET site and why do the web designers at CNET continuously mess with the forums when it doesn't seem to be necessary?

Collapse -
Re: more info
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 11, 2011 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Some new info
Collapse -
By crappy fonts
by TONI H / October 12, 2011 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: more info

I mean they show as something tiny and more like default Times New Roman with Courier New but very small compared to what it was a week ago. If I recall, it was orginally closer to Tahoma/Lucinda and easier to read. Cleartype would clarify fonts but not change them entirely like what seems to have happened here.

As for right click, open in new window, the links that don't work anymore are the actual topics listed. If someone lists a link in their post, like you just did, I can right click, and get the option to open that link in a new window as happens with any other 'link' on the CNET pages. It's only the topics list that it doesn't work for anymore. This happened once before for me about two months ago or so and someone here suggested something I could do to fix that in IE8 and it worked, but I can't find that post anymore even after a search. I think it had something to do with the Tools drop down options but looking at those options doesn't ring the right bell for me to know what to 'fix'. I thought it had something to do with Compatibilty View but that's greyed out for me and the Compat View Settings already has cnet.com listed. However, I cannot add forums.cnet.com to the list for some reason.

Collapse -
Wow.....now I'm really confused
by TONI H / October 12, 2011 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: By crappy fonts

Just for the hell of it, I refreshed the forums list page for SE....again tried to right click the topic link for my post and again didn't get the option to right click and open in a new window. BUT, I CAN right click the DATE column for that topic, get that option in the right click menu and get to the thread easily. This makes NO freaking sense to me but it's do-able. LOL

Collapse -
I have an idea
by James Denison / October 12, 2011 12:43 AM PDT

Turn off your pop up blocker to check and see if the pop up box showing part of the post is interfering with the link ability. Maybe they have the code for the pop up box in front of the link in the html and that's blocking both of them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.