Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ok what happened while I was gone...

by null. / January 15, 2006 4:24 PM PST

to work, generally with this thread
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=150120&messageID=1672033
and more specifically with my reply to Rob which must have been a TOS violation. The only reason I ask is I would like to know how it violated the rules, if for no other reason than to prevent it in the future. I felt it would have passed that test.

Don Erickson
California Republican and very proud of it!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ok what happened while I was gone...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ok what happened while I was gone...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry. That information is not available.
by Dan McC / January 16, 2006 2:45 AM PST
Collapse -
You might try ...
by Evie / January 16, 2006 2:48 AM PST

... emailing the SE mods and discussing it privately. Unless you are among the group of frequent violators constantly asking "why, why, why", they will probably explain.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) On the way
by null. / January 16, 2006 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: You might try ...
Collapse -
Since Don made
by John Robie / January 16, 2006 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: You might try ...

it public with his post, then the reply (answers to his questions) should also be made public in this thread..eh.

Collapse -
I disagree ...
by Evie / January 16, 2006 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: Since Don made

... because although I don't consider Don amongst the troublemakers, it has been long standing policy that such matters are handled privately. Mostly because of the flooding of "why" and "it's not fair" posts a while back. I'm not even sure if I saw Don's post or that others did either. Don knows what he posted and the mods know what was deleted.

It's too bad that the auto-messages from the old forums didn't carry over. The ''your message was removed becasue it was a reply to a deleted post'' was a good notice. So sometimes messages are removed and there is no notice and you have no idea that it was even deleted unless you happen to catch it. I often forget to hit the submit and then don't see my post. Then I'm left to wonder if there was something wrong with what was said and it was deleted. But with the system as it is, the moderators really shouldn't be burdened with the need to notify everyone every time a post is deleted.

That's why I suggested Don just ask by email.

Seeing you around means you're feeling better? Hope so!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
It's a non-issue to me
by null. / January 16, 2006 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: I disagree ...

I just wanted to know if I violated the TOS
I received clarification and I am satisfied with it.

Note: clarification wasn't required or expected just whether I Violated The TOS For the reason I stated - to prevent future Violations.

I've had posts removed before - some bordering the limits and some obviously exceeding them. I take no offence to the removals, it was nice to know the reason this time though.

This thread should be left to fall down the queue now.

Collapse -
I disagree.
by John Robie / January 16, 2006 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: I disagree ...

Since Don asked questions in public, then they should be answered in public IMO.

Moderators are not burden with the need to nofify everyone everytime a post is deleted, and most people know very well why their post is or has been deleted without asking. Some newer people may not yet understand the removal of their post under circumstance that Marcia mentions.

Mistakes are known to happen.

JR
Feeling good, take my last anti-biotic tomorrow. Now to get rid of the oxygen. Wink

Collapse -
Well I just asked publically myself ...
by Evie / January 16, 2006 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: I disagree.

... in another thread becuase it seems there may be a forum bug going around.

Still, if not answered publically I would take it to email if it was important to me. I don't think we should expect the mods to publically answer that which if publically asked. Because then we get into the membership taking sides on what is or isn't offensive, etc. there's no good end to it. We had enough of those knock down drag out threads in the old SE, and although I have had problems with the moderation here, I'm largely sympathetic to the thankless nature of the job they do, and feel it is my place to simply leave if I'm really that unhappy.

JMO

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I'm no expert on this forum, but if I were to take my best
by MarciaB / January 16, 2006 2:52 AM PST

shot at an answer, I would say that the particular thread you refer to had been locked, cleaned up, unlocked, locked again, and cleaned up again.

I'm sure your response (of which I believe was one I read) was not necessarily a violation of the TOS, but merely a "casualty of war."

Just a wild-a$$-guess on my part.

Happy

Take care,
--Marcia

Collapse -
Thanks Marcia
by null. / January 16, 2006 3:11 AM PST

I was confused with this and have as Evie suggested sent an Email to SEMods for some clarification. Thanks all for the assistance
Don Erickson

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!