General discussion

OK. What am I missing?

AMD K6 II, 350Mhx
Win98SP1
IE6SP1
OE6
Screen Resolution 1024x768

I just upgraded from IE5.01SP2 to IE6SP1.
Prior to the upgrade, whenever I set up a folder to 'view as thumbnails', the thumbnail size was 120x120 pixels (28 thumbnails to a full screen).
After the upgrade, the thumbnail size dropped to 80x80 pixels (approx 55 thumbnails to a full screen).

How do I get back to the larger thumbnails? I've looked at all my 'windows tips' sites and googled 'til I'm blue in the face but no luck. My eyesight is not what it used to be and I'd really like to get back to the larger thumbnails.

TIA

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: OK. What am I missing?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: OK. What am I missing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A handy utility

from Microsoft is TweakUI. It will allow lots of small changes including changes to thumbnail size. The link is
Here

- Collapse -
Mistake

That was for XP. This one is for 98.Here

- Collapse -
Thanks Steve

I've been using TweakUI for a long time and cannot find a tweak anywhere for thumbnail size. If you can bear with me and point me in the right direction (?)

TIA

- Collapse -
Maybe I am wrong but

I remember thumbnail size to be changed under "Explorer" with TweakUI. It's there with the XP version which I have and use. I believe there is also a registy setting that will change this under HKEY_Current User/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer. I don't have a 98 machine handy at home but my curiosity has got me because I remember doing this. Don't give up yet.

- Collapse -
Ignore last message

You're right. That version does not work w/thumbnails.

- Collapse -
Ok, this should do it

I cannot guess how the size got to 120x120 the first time but there are utilities out there for this. You can, as I mentioned, changed this in the registry and here's how.
From Start/Run type "regedit" (without quotes) and navigate to;

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "ThumbnailSize" and set it to the size of the image in pixels. You will be in the right area if you see the # 80 for this value. This will be done using the "Edit" function. Now, once completed, you may need to delete the "Thumbs.db" in folders which you want thumbnails to be displayed. Change the view to something else and delete this file. Then change the view back to thumbnails so they can be created again. Hope this has it right this time. Otherwise, we'll need to find a free util to assist. Good luck.

- Collapse -
Re:

OK. Tried the reg fix and still no joy although I think your suggestion is on the right track. I'll keep looking. Thanks for taking the time to help out.

- Collapse -
If you run out of important things to do

search the registry for other references to "ThumbnailSize". I don't think think it's probably but I wonder if some non Windows program could have taken over the thumbnail view.

- Collapse -
re:

Thanks. It appears from all I can find, that the registry tweak works for win XP and NOT for any OS's below that. I've been trying to find the .ini file for the Windows default imaging program in the hopes that that could be modified.

I suspect that the installation of IE6 did something to Win98 and that the problem is with Win98 and not IE6 since winXP also uses IE6 and the thumbnail size CAN be modified.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

- Collapse -
Thumbnails

? ThumbnailSize ? Double Word, decimal value between 32 and 256

? ThumbnailQuality ? Double Word, decimal value between 50 and 100

CNET Forums

Forum Info