Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ok, Ok...I know it's political but it's also funny

by Steven Haninger / October 4, 2012 12:22 AM PDT

Personally, I don't care for the term "Obamacare" but, since the president said last night that he's starting to like it, it's fair game. I hope he saw and enjoyed this too. You'll need to scroll down a bit to watch it.

Obamacare defined in one sentence

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ok, Ok...I know it's political but it's also funny
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ok, Ok...I know it's political but it's also funny
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LOL
by Josh K / October 4, 2012 12:39 AM PDT

I'll grant her some license for the factual errors; I got a chuckle out of it.

Collapse -
It was pretty funny
by TONI H / October 4, 2012 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL

but I'm wondering what factual errors you found in it?

Collapse -
There was the one about gutting Medicare...
by Josh K / October 4, 2012 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: It was pretty funny

....for example. Romney kept trying to push that point last night even though those nasty fact-checkers had already informed him it isn't true.

Well, actually it would be true.....if Romney gets elected.

Collapse -
Romney didn't say BO
by TONI H / October 4, 2012 4:32 AM PDT

was gutting Medicare. He said BO took $716B out of Medicare to help pay for Obamacare....and that is true. And BO never denied it last night.

Collapse -
That is also false
by Josh K / October 4, 2012 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Romney didn't say BO
Collapse -
well, it is like the cuts to defense Romney keeps blaming...
by grimgraphix / October 4, 2012 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: That is also false

... on Obama, when the cuts are actually part of a blanket cut in funding due to the failure of the bi-partisan committee to create a budget for a larger blanket cut in funding forced upon Obama by those who refused to approve national budgets unless massive cuts were put into place.

BTW... are any of those guys that were on that committee up for election? Shouldn't their failure be enough to get them replaced?

Collapse -
In this country we reward failure
by Josh K / October 4, 2012 5:35 AM PDT

Just ask the top executives at AIG.

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) lol
by grimgraphix / October 4, 2012 5:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Or Condoleeza Rice
by Josh K / October 4, 2012 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: lol

She was in charge of national security when someone managed to fly a jet into the Pentagon, and her punishment for failing to keep us safe was a promotion to Secretary of State.

Collapse -
Obama rewarded them well
by James Denison / October 4, 2012 6:18 AM PDT

since he bailed them out.

Collapse -
Actually it was Bush who bailed them out
by Josh K / October 4, 2012 11:31 PM PDT

That $700 billion blank check, that AIG then used to give their top execs big bonuses for......what, exactly?

Collapse -
Yes we do......
by lylesg / October 4, 2012 9:51 AM PDT

just look at the people who want to reward Obama for his 4 years of failed policies. Amazing!

Collapse -
RE:4 years of failed policies.
by JP Bill / October 5, 2012 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes we do......
US unemployment falls to 7.8 pct., a 44-month low

"An overall better-than-expected jobs report, consistent with most recent data that suggest the economy is gaining some momentum," Guatieri said in a note to clients. "The sizeable drop in the unemployment rate could lift the president's re-election chances following a post-debate dip."

Labor Secretary Hilda Solis was asked on CNBC about suspicions that the Obama administration might have skewed the jobs numbers to aid Obama's re-election prospects.

"I'm insulted when I hear that because we have a very professional civil service," Solis said. "I have the highest regard for our professionals that do the calculations at the (Bureau of Labor Statistics). They are trained economists."

After the jobs report was released, stocks rose. The Dow Jones industrial average gained 60 points in the first hour of trading before trimming some of its gains. Broader stock indexes also rose.

The yield on the 10-year U.S. Treasury note climbed to 1.73 percent from 1.68 percent just before the report. That suggested that investors were more willing to take on risk by shifting money from bonds into stocks.

The job market has been improving, sluggishly but steadily. Jobs have been added for 24 straight months. There are now 325,000 more than when Obama took office.
Collapse -
You do realize
by TONI H / October 5, 2012 4:24 AM PDT

that the numbers are actually skewed in that it reflects over 800,000 PART TIME jobs and that 114,000 actual full time jobs is still in the crapper AND that a good majority of those 800,000 part time jobs are GOVERNMENT/FEDERAL jobs that were timed for just this occasion? You don't go from 200,000 part time jobs in the July and August numbers to QUADRUPLE that number in ONE month without something being hinky......can you say "October surprise" in order to give BO something to brag about again? Those numbers had to hit at just the right time in order to give early voters a big bounce because the 'adjustment' numbers (which ALWAYS happens one month later) will hit only four days before the votes are tallied and the people who wait to vote on election day might be less than the early voters.

Collapse -
AND they've changed the method of calculations
by JP Bill / October 5, 2012 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: You do realize

FOR Obama OR have they been using the same method for years?

Collapse -
I should have typed TEMP or
by TONI H / October 6, 2012 3:54 AM PDT

PART-TIME

Many of the calls that were made to individuals, where people stated that they worked a day or a week (lots of part-time jobs here are also only temporary ones) are counted as being fully employed in the numbers, so it's not a truly reflective aspect of the unemployment rate. People who sell items on Ebay and report that income on their taxes are considered to be 'self-employed'......that doesn't mean they are actually earning a living doing this....they are selling off their belongings to make ends meet but the income has to be reported. There is a huge difference between what is actually work and the labor numbers being reported.

Are you calling me a liar, JP? I know that a news reporter or opinion person on one of the news shows flat out called Romney a liar.......is that the new liberal strategy being used now?

Collapse -
RE: Are you calling me a liar, JP?
by JP Bill / October 6, 2012 4:09 AM PDT

is that the new liberal strategy being used now?

Are you calling me a jerk, Toni?

is that the new conservative strategy being used now?

Collapse -
RE: the numbers are actually skewed
by JP Bill / October 5, 2012 1:14 PM PDT
Steep drop in unemployment rate spawns conspiracy

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sasquatch might as well have traipsed across the White House lawn Friday with a lost Warren Commission file on his way to the studio where NASA staged the moon landing.

Conspiracy theorists came out in force after the government reported a sudden drop in the U.S. unemployment rate one month before Election Day. Their message: The Obama administration would do anything to ensure a November victory, including manipulating unemployment data.

The conspiracy was widely rejected. Officials at the Labor Department said the jobs figures are calculated by highly trained government employees without any political interference. Democrats and even some Republicans said they also found the charges implausible.

"Stop with the dumb conspiracy theories. Good grief," Tony Fratto, who worked for President George W. Bush, weighed in on Twitter.

Underlining is mine.
Collapse -
The BLS makes
by TONI H / October 5, 2012 11:33 PM PDT

thousands of random calls......some to businesses and the rest to individuals. Businesses have all indicated that they aren't doing any hiring at all, even part-time jobs. Individuals are indicating that they are taking ANY kind of job........part-time since full time isn't available, and TEMP jobs that last only a day or a week or so. So if somebody makes $200 in a month on a TEMP job, that is counted as part-time, skewing the numbers upwards from 200K on average per month to all of a sudden 800K? From what I understand, those individual calls made were considerably higher in the NUMBER of calls they made than in the past. BO needed big numbers for an October surprise and he got what he wanted. It doesn't make the numbers good, no matter how many ways they try to spin it.

Is the new normal now going to be that the 7.8% unemployment number has, after four years, actually back at the beginning of what it was when he was elected and NO better? If you add back in all the people who have given up looking for work or people who were facing layoff and took early retirement instead, the unemployment rate is closer to 14.5%

Collapse -
RE: Businesses have all indicated
by JP Bill / October 5, 2012 11:58 PM PDT

Businesses have all indicated that they aren't doing any hiring at all, even part-time jobs.

You do realize - New!

by TONI H - 10/5/12 11:24 AM

In Reply to: RE:4 years of failed policies. by JP Bill

that the numbers are actually skewed in that it reflects over 800,000 PART TIME jobs

have your pants ever caught fire?

Collapse -
regarding business, hiring, and elections
by Roger NC / October 6, 2012 5:58 AM PDT

As I recall working in industry, and the news about it, any presidential election year that the race is too close to call, industry tends to go into a holding pattern for about 90 days before the election, give or take.

That happened even without a recession of this side. And it seemed much more prominent in years where there was a huge difference officially in the two candidates stance on business regulation, environmental regulation, and income tax calculation and credits

The more uncertain the economy, the more strict the holding pattern. I remember a couple of times business was actually increasing, but the company worked people overtime rather than hiring until the election was over, then decided how much they would expand.

Given the drastic changes the Republicans are announcing they will make if they win verses what is expected if the Democrats win (representatives and senators as well as presidential race), any business probably is delaying making investments. They may expand either way, but who wins may determine in what way or even where.

Roger

Collapse -
temporary seasonal workers
by James Denison / October 6, 2012 9:32 AM PDT

they will be laid back off after the holidays, if not before.

Collapse -
(NT) Not true. The $716 Billion was actually savings in costs. R
by Ziks511 / October 6, 2012 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Romney didn't say BO
Collapse -
Yep. Any questions? ^_^
by grimgraphix / October 4, 2012 5:21 AM PDT

To be fair though, some of the problems mentioned in the "long sentence" have been around for years, and should have been solved by previous administrations.

Collapse -
Since he's kinda liking the term....
by lylesg / October 4, 2012 9:55 AM PDT

Obamacare, just imagine the happy dance he'll be doing as he bonds with the term *Obamaphone.* Happy

Collapse -
"Barack Obama's adopted home state" !!???
by Ziks511 / October 6, 2012 11:29 AM PDT

a slur, plain and simple.

Let's see, Rand Paul represents a different state than his Dad, does that make it his adopted home state?

George W. Bush was born and raised in Connecticut, and summered in Kennebunkport, does that make Texas his adopted home state? I don't think he went near Texas until after he finished Yale, and went down to Texas where Daddy was working in the Ohl Bidness, so he could do his National Guard duty close to his parents.

Lots of politicians end up in states other than those where they were born, Jay Rockefeller was West Virginia, wasn't he? though the Rockefeller family were all New York state.

Bobby Kennedy was a Senator for New York, Hillary Rodham Clinton while born and raised in Chicago, and then resident in Arkansas, was a Senator for New York too.

Rob

Collapse -
Excellent! I especially enjoyed the "punch line".
by drpruner / October 8, 2012 10:59 AM PDT

'Hey, what could go wrong?'
Can the Surgeon General order firing squads?

Of course, I agree with the sentiments ...

insofar as they apply to 'most every action of man's governments. Happy

Collapse -
"Ok, Ok...I know it's political but it's also funny"
by drpruner / October 8, 2012 11:02 AM PDT

and incendiary. Congratulations, Steven! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?