Cameras forum

Question

Ok , New Question ..what DSLR would be the best camera for m

by jenne3 / June 2, 2011 10:47 PM PDT

I posted before about finding a point and shoot would take great action shots and pictures.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ok , New Question ..what DSLR would be the best camera for m
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ok , New Question ..what DSLR would be the best camera for m
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Choices

There aren't any bad DSLR cameras, but some are a bit better than others. There are four manufacturers: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sony. Canon and Nikon are the two most common. Pentax and Sony are often a bit better value, but harder to find in stores. With you budget, you are looking at the entry level mostly, unless you buy an older camera, used, or refurbished.

The D3000 is last year's model, the replacement is the D3100. Same with the D5000; the new model is the D5100. With Canon, the T3i is the current model; the T2i is the older one. Of those, the T2i is probably the best value. Every professional review has been good, ranking it at the top or near the top for its class...you could say it is the Honda Accord of DSLR cameras.

All DSLR's are sold either as a body only or with a "kit" lens. Buy it with the lens because it is cheaper than buying a body and specialized lens separately. The kit lens is almost always a 18-55mm, which is fine for general photography. But for sports, you would want a longer focal length. Usually you can get a two lens kit; the T2i can be had with both 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses (but that would be approximately $1000).

Canon T2i review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/

If you want a body and two lenses for $700, a best buy would be the Pentax K-x with 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PKKXKT255300K

Pentax K-x review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

Collapse -
How different are the newer models?
by jenne3 / June 3, 2011 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Choices

If I went with the D3000 ..how much different would the D3100 be?

Collapse -
D3000 vs. Everthing Else
by PistonCupChampion / June 3, 2011 5:48 AM PDT

The D3000 will take nice photos. It's pretty bare bones though...it does not offer Live View (you can't shoot using the LCD, only the viewfinder), and it has no movie mode at all; it's strictly a photo camera. That's why the Pentax K-x is a better value, because it has those features for the same price.

Unless you can get the two-lens D3000 for less, I'd probably spend the extra $100 or so for the two-lens D3100...$100 for HD video and live view (and a few other things) is worth the money, IMO.

Collapse -
Thank you
by jenne3 / June 4, 2011 10:57 AM PDT

for all your help..I didn't realize that it didn't have a movie mode. I went today and checked them out. ...My friends were there at the same time and were considering the D3000 ..I told them that they couldn't use the lcd to shoot which they didn't know..Thanks pistoncupchampion!! ha.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.