Speakeasy forum

General discussion

OK, Navy people, Clue Me In

by TONI H / March 16, 2005 5:56 AM PST

Derek just recently made E5, and today he emailed me to tell me he's been made OPS YOEMAN on his ship. Can anybody tell me what this is? He seems to be really pleased about it so I'm guessing that's it's a move further up, but I haven't the foggiest.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OK, Navy people, Clue Me In
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OK, Navy people, Clue Me In
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OPS YEOMAN (spelling correction)
by TONI H / March 16, 2005 6:05 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i did a google search not find
by Mark5019 / March 16, 2005 6:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Try these...
by Angeline Booher / March 16, 2005 7:14 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks, Ang
by TONI H / March 16, 2005 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: Try these...

I knew what the OPS stood for but didn't know what a yeoman is/does. Derek briefly told me the following:

"I have a new job in my department, I am the OPS Yeoman, so that is going to look good on my eval. Pretty much, I route messages and set up for briefs in the officer?s ward room, so I am getting a lot of attention from our Captain and Executive Officers as well as all of the other department heads."

He mentioned a few other vague things without details, but I'm not sure if he's even supposed to tell me those things so I won't post it here. I know he has a high level security clearance (it keeps getting higher)...but I wasn't sure if this was 'just' more authority or if it also included another move up in rank. It appears to be more authority more than anything else.....

The good thing is that he's happy with this, and appears to feel that this was his officers' way of making up for not getting him the medal recommendation a month ago. heheheh

TONI

Collapse -
The...
by Angeline Booher / March 16, 2005 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Ang

... Air Force is happy to help. Happy

I sent you an email re: my writing a Navy person who will know the facts!

Having a high profile position is very good for a career!

Angeline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Not old Navy but old Air Force....
by John Robie / March 16, 2005 9:55 AM PST

E-5 was like a S/Sgt in the USAF.

Ops Yeoman, well "Ops" always means Operations in the services. Yeoman from the old days in my association with the US Navy meant "Administration" or "Clerical".

Gee, they promote fast now-a-days.

Collapse -
Yeoman is a designation borrowed from the English
by Ziks511 / March 16, 2005 10:04 AM PST

armies of the time of Crecy 1389 and Agincourt 1415 when the English bowmen shot the flower of french nobility to pieces and enabled a much smaller force to conquer major sections of France. Bows were made from yew trees and hence bowmen were men of the yew or yeo, hence yeomen. Thewe were mostly farmers with small holdings who did not qualify for the nobility (ie the officer class). It moved into the Royal Navy and then into the American Navy as a designation for a middle ranking NCO position I believe, sort of like corporal. Corrections will be gratefully received.

The Ops part is as previously indicated something to do with Operations. What kind of ship is he on. I assume it could be Gunnery Ops or Aircraft Ops or Radio Ops or something else.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
Oh yeah, and you know the English hand sign that stands in
by Ziks511 / March 16, 2005 10:34 AM PST

for the raised middle finger, the one that involves the raised index and middle fingers as a V? Well the French, when they caught English or Welsh archers, used to amputate those two fingers, so the two finger sign became a kind of "up yours" to their French opponents. Churchill consciously turned it into the symbol of resistance in WW2 by turning the palm to face the audience rather than turning the back of the hand and gesturing upwards as had previously been (and still is) the practise.

Rob Boyter all things historical explained to the best of my ability.

Collapse -
He's a clerk, and a fairly senior one,
by drpruner / March 16, 2005 11:01 AM PST

and gets to pass messages between Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman. Happy
Except he isn't on a sub, which is a boat, not a ship.
E7 is Chief Petty Officer, which is a big jump in responsibility from E6; in many cases a virtual officer.
It has been the experience of many that a medal and a dollar will get you a ride on any bus in town.
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
USS Cleveland
by TONI H / March 16, 2005 8:24 PM PST
Collapse -
LPD is an amphibious personnel carrier that can serve as a
by Ziks511 / March 16, 2005 8:43 PM PST
In reply to: USS Cleveland
Collapse -
Ohh Ohh Mr. Kotter, I know.
by Jerry562 / March 16, 2005 8:38 PM PST

A Yeoman (secretary) is a guy with clean hands and knows more about typing than fixing or operating machinery. And OPS is the Operations department where he types and files said typed papers. Like cooks, storekeepers and corpsmen, they support the people who operate and fix machinery.

How'd I do? (Can you tell what I did in my 20 years in the Navy?)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!