General discussion

Ok, let's stir something up. . .

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Ok, let's stir something up. . .
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Ok, let's stir something up. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
LOL

Here's the survey portion of the article:

In a Gallup poll released last month, 53 percent of American adults agreed with the statement that God created humans in their present form exactly the way the Bible describes it.

Thirty-one percent stood by the intelligent design stance that humans evolved over millions of years from other forms of life and God guided the process, while 12 percent said humans have evolved from other forms of life and ''God has no part.''

I probably fall somewhere between group 2 and group 3, though as I've stated elsewhere, I think of God as a ''what'' and not as a ''who.''

That 53 percent is really shocking. I'd have expected that number a hundred years ago but not in 2005.

- Collapse -
I dropped my teeth. . .

metaphorically, when I read that. Agreed on your location, I'm probably, just slightly, maybe a little bit, almost nearly, square in the middle of the 12.

- Collapse -
Ditto.

Put me in the 31%.

I'm not embarrassed that I and all humans have the remnants of a tail bone. Happy I also find the skeletal remains uncovered dating back eons fascinating!

IMO, the millions of years is more miraculous than, "Whoosh!"

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

- Collapse -
I'll put myself between 2 and 3 also...maybe

Do I know enough to make a determination?

I don't think it is really that important OR that most people have the scientific background to fully understand the issues involved. The truth may be far different than what anyone thinks.

And I doubt that poll is an accurate reflection of reality.

Let the museum do as it pleases.

- Collapse -
I wonder

Do this 53 percent believe that God has two arms and two legs and a body and head and looks just like us? Seems like they are creating God in our image.

I wonder if they even think about what "in our image" really means?

Diana

- Collapse -
'God created man in his own

image, and man, being a gentleman, returned the compliment.'

-Inherit the Wind, Act 1, Scene II

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL! Have to agree, about the gods I've seen.
- Collapse -
question

if there is a god, and were all his image howand why white, black yellow ect. plus woman.

seems "gods" got a few screws loose or is stoned?

- Collapse -
Several possibilities. I will give you three

Images don't necessarily mean clones

1. Artsy photography....using out of focus lenses and color filters
2. Hand wrought and not die stamped.
3. (and I think there is ample evidence to suggest this one)
Some of the early prototypes fell into the wrong hands and survived to reproduce.

- Collapse -
Oops? forgot this
Happy
- Collapse -
Steve's reply is good, for a joke.

If you're interested in a straight answer, most scientists will tell you that DNA contains much more than is expressed in any one offspring. Bible's view is that Jehovah is real and intelligent, so why wouldn't he have created Adam and Eve with DNA sufficient for all known human possibilities since?

I think Mark Twain and Ambrose Bierce have some more on your views, but my church won't let me read them. Happy

- Collapse -
Why on earth would

they forbid you from reading Twain???

Dan

- Collapse -
Did you miss the smiley?

As to Twain, I stuck him in there because I think he badmouthed religion, like Bierce, Mencken, many others.

Have I mentioned that Edw. Gibbon didn't like evangelizers, like modern JW? In his day they were mostly those who objected to Established churches monopolizing (legally) any preaching. Bunyan and later the Wesleys went to jail for unlicensed preaching.
Where's Gibbon now that you need him?

- Collapse -
Missed this the first time -- & will probably surprise some.

I'm between 2 and 3 -- probably closer to 2, except I doubt God specifically guided the process. I see Him as a CEO type -- giving nature broad direction, then letting it pretty much take its course, except for the occasional miraculous intervention (such as the One we'll be celebrating in a bit under a month).

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wasn't the intervention 8 months ago?
- Collapse -
We REALLY don't need another thread on this tiresome

and contentious subject. I'll bet most people here know the issues, and are tired of the everlasting debates on the subject.

- Collapse -
it seems to be that if God

created all life from the very beginning that He would have created man at the same time in some type of form in order to have 'intelligent' life that was superior to the rest of the animals, reptiles, birds, insects, fish, etc.

All of those other forms of life have evolved into either similar and newer forms over the millions of years or died out completely.

What's so hard to figure out? "Man" as we know it today has been around the shortest amount of time, and it's difficult to grasp why God would have waited around for so many millions of years since the birth of the Earth to bring forth his 'image'.

Neanderthals (Neandertals..take your pick) were around during dinosaur times; there is evidence that lesser-man was around before them. Were they created by God in His image, at that time? Were they wiped out not because of nature but because God made a mistake and realized they weren't what he thought they would be? Did God create each new version before 'getting it right'? How can God make a mistake with Man and yet not get it wrong with animals, etc. when He is supposedly perfect? Did He realize that he needed to eliminate the first versions because they made bad choices, such as the Neanderthals not leaving their area because they were too stupid to realize they actually COULD and perhaps would have survived longer? Did the Neanderthals actually survive by breeding with newer versions and evolving into an even newer version? Was that God's plan all along to give them enough survival instincts to repopulate into a newer version?

LOL......I'm in the #3 category..........

TONI

- Collapse -
Hi Toni
- Collapse -
Dinosaurs and my idea of them

included evolved species that were around during Neanderthal times....I was 'generalizing' rather than specific in my descriptions/theories only to make the point that I don't believe that God would have waited around for so long to create man in his image, and if He didn't wait that long, then early man, lesser-man wouldn't have been what they were unless God was like a five year old using playdoh and guessing as He went along about what He really looked like.

TONI

- Collapse -
LOL so God didn't have benefit of a mirror?

You'd think He would have thought of that, though then He'd have risked putting all our parts in backwards.

Devil

- Collapse -
Well, since ghosts can't

reflect in a mirror, I would assume that God can't reflect in a pool of water either?

If you can't see yourself, how do you know what you look like in order to do a self portrait or create in your image?

TONI

- Collapse -
I thought that was vampires.

OMG! Do you really think that god is a vampire? How could you? Maybe we're not made in god's image, maybe we're made in the image of something that god likes to suck the blood out of.

Devil

Wink

Dan

- Collapse -
Reflected, not backwards...

and how do you know he didn't?

Actually "In his image" can be interpreted to mean any number of things. I would think any kind of sapient (self aware, intelligent) being oculd be said to be in God's image. You know, like on Star Trek.

- Collapse -
or All in the Family

ARCHIE: I was made in God's image!

MIKE: You mean God looks like you??

and....

ARCHIE: We didn't crawl out from under no rocks, we didn't have no tails, and we didn't come from monkeys you atheistic pinko meathead!!

LOL

- Collapse -
Okay, when you start quoting Chapter and Verse

my eyes glaze over.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) At least he includes the FULL TEXT ! ! !
- Collapse -
Look it up yourself, you prideful meathead!

Oops! Forgot the Happy

- Collapse -
Who's Archie?

Is he on this forum?

Wink

Dan

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Check "Forum moderators" :-)
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i wish he were

CNET Forums

Forum Info