PC Hardware forum

General discussion

OK, I've decided to build a new server..

...to replace the NT 4.0 dinosaur that Sensei Proffit has helped me keep alive. SPECS: Pentium Pro200(two of them) 512K EDO RAM, Running Windows NT, Microsoft Backoffice Server and Microsoft Exchange to provide a smooth running, reliable machine that works 24/7 on our small, 8-workstation network.

We get around the 5-user thing with Exchange 'cause not all 8 folks are in the office at the same time.

I want to upgrade the machine, that part I can handle. I'll use Win2K,(maybe XP but I don't see alot of difference) a Pentium D or HT 3.0 GHZ, Intel Mobo, 2 SATA 36GB raptors striped and at least 2GB of RAM. Backup will be Veritas BE 9.1 daily to tape, Sony SCSI 11000.

So, how do I ''move in'' to the new machine? Should I use the NT SCOPY feature then upgrade the OS, or should I start from scratch and install Win2000, Microsoft Backoffice and Microsft exchange then just drag and drop the appropriate folders? What would you do? Thanks!

Tony

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OK, I've decided to build a new server..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OK, I've decided to build a new server..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
D.O.A. ?

In reply to: OK, I've decided to build a new server..

XP and Windows 2000 Pro will not host your server applications and the install should fail.

Microsoft's Server OS map looks like this:
NT (various) Server -> 2000 (various) Server -> 2003 (varous) Server.

If you need more storage, split that onto a new machine and leave the Dual Pro with what doesn't move.

Bob

Collapse -
OK, how about keeping NT 4.0

In reply to: D.O.A. ?

...on the new machine, reinstalling all apps and then doing SCOPY or recovery from backup tape? I think it's time to make plans toward decommissioning the old PPro girl.

Tony

Collapse -
OK, how about keeping NT 4.0

In reply to: OK, how about keeping NT 4.0

Well make sure that there are NT drivers for the new MB and video card and any new hardware.
W2K server or W2003 server would be better. but it's $$$$$.
If your makeing a new server PC this would be the time to do the change over. Bring the new one online with the NT server and do a change over then take the NT offline. John

Collapse -
Yes, and if I upgrade to 2000-2003 Server...

In reply to: OK, how about keeping NT 4.0

...then I will need to buy a newer Exchange Server than my present 5.5. Funny how Microsoft makes you buy the whole suit, not just the pants or jacket...

I will be sure the MB supports NT, I hope I can find one w/ SATA. I'll be back when it's built, you can count on that! Thanks all...

Tony

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.