I have a dial up connection, I use the Lucent Win Modem. My connect rate was a lousy 19,200bps on my ME machine. The new XP machine I have now has the exact same thing except it connects at 21,600bps. Haveing reviewed alot about modems and etc ... I had an Init string I wanted to add and wanted a 2nd opnion before I did this. Soon as I figured out that if the Init didnt work and now I have no connection at all, I need not to worry. Simply clear the string, reboot, and its back to normal. WOW, a computer task even I cant mess up. In my excitement of looking through my fumbled mess I accidently added in my donor card number by mistake and it cost me an arm and a leg just to tell you this. lol. I settled on +MS=V34,0 (thats a zero, not an o) and now I always connect at 31,200bps impressive, unless I stop at a forum and have to type something seems about the same haveing lost the arm. Then again, I could be lying. lol
By the way that was/is actual bps and is a great init string should anyone wonder.