Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ok, I have to ask. .

by Coryphaeus / March 14, 2008 11:00 AM PDT

When you're out in public, at work, in a restaurant, etc., and you are in the restroom, and your cell phone rings, do you answer it?

Not me, that's what voice mail is for!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ok, I have to ask. .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ok, I have to ask. .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a problem for me
by Steven Haninger / March 14, 2008 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok, I have to ask. .

I don't stay tethered to a cell phone at all times as many people do. In fact, I've seen plenty of folks who I only know what one of their ears looks like. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) it depends on whos calling
by willeiy / March 14, 2008 11:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
"At a restaurant" means mine is off.
by drpruner / March 14, 2008 12:02 PM PDT

Not on vibrate, off!

Collapse -
No
by James Denison / March 14, 2008 5:08 PM PDT

I hate cellphones, but they are at times a necessary inconvenience. Mine stays in the van all the time, never in the house, and is always off completely unless I go somewhere. Doing so means I charge it maybe once every 3-4 weeks. I have it ONLY for on the road use and turn it on and leave on when driving in case someone needs to contact me. Since it keeps a record of incoming calls, I can return a call later when convenient, which includes when driving anywhere, except on an interstate. I will answer when on the interstate since it's safer than town driving. I use it so rarely I use a TracFone and just buy minutes and time. Often I find I'm just adding service time and rolling forward minutes. Phone $20, year service time $99 and probably less than 400 minutes in a year which is about $80. Most use it gets is when I have to take a road trip out of town. I don't usually carry it into a store with me since I can check it later back at the van to see if an incoming call needs to be returned.

Collapse -
much the same as James
by jonah jones / March 14, 2008 5:52 PM PDT

hate 'em like poison!... i have one (my son called it his "poppa turned 60 and is in that 'i got lost' period of his life" present)
and i have to be reminded to take it otherwise it stays at home Wink

personally, i'm waiting for a pocket sized 'cell phone killer' that will give me a 20 foot radius of peace and quiet wherever i happen to be...

Collapse -
(NT) http://phonejammer.com/
by C1ay / March 15, 2008 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: much the same as James
Collapse -
Oh, I so want one of those too!!!
by James Denison / March 15, 2008 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: much the same as James

I'd love to be able to zap madam Gabby as she loudly reveals her family history over the cellphone to everyone else in line behind her, as the cashier is wondering when will ms. Gabby realize it's her turn to check out, the person in front having already moved on. Or the person who nearly took off my front end while gabbing on his cellphone, blissfully unaware of what he'd just done, or the idiot who went sailing through a red light not even realizing a light was there, while yakking away on his cellphone. Most especially in a nice restaurant where someone isn't content enough with their surroundings and table companion they have to chit chat with whomever on the phone also. In church they allow cellphones to be brought in, but must be on silent vibrate only. I love the disapproving looks when someone has violated that one, as they hurriedly try to kill the very unchurchlike sounds emanating from it. Thankfully that's rare, most remember when they see the sign on the doors to the auditorium though. If it wasn't for some emergency people who are on call, I'd love to have the entire inside of church jammed against cellphone frequency range.

Collapse -
I love listening to cell phone conversations
by Diana Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 4:04 AM PDT

I usually join in with my opinion or thoughts on what I hear. It's surprising the dirty looks and how quiet people suddenly get. Also get nasty comments that I think are funny.

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) LOL, pick your targets carefully.
by James Denison / March 15, 2008 5:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Always
by Diana Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 12:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
I believe the law is,
by drpruner / March 16, 2008 1:22 AM PDT

"No reasonable expectation of privacy."

And tell 'em I said so. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) People actually take them to the restroom?
by C1ay / March 15, 2008 12:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, unfortunately they do ...
by Bill Osler / March 15, 2008 7:11 AM PDT

I can't imagine what the person on the other end thinks of the background noise during the conversation. Also it can be a little bit weird for the person in the stall 'next door' to the conversation. I don't have an example readily at hand, but I've seen jokes about that problem.

Collapse -
off
by Frattimonde-2221833054797 / March 15, 2008 3:55 AM PDT

Usually have it turned off when somewhere "nicer".

Collapse -
Now cellphones have cameras in them too.
by James Denison / March 15, 2008 9:39 AM PDT

Maybe there should be a law against their use in public restrooms?

Collapse -
Cell phones with cameras
by Steven Haninger / March 15, 2008 11:01 AM PDT

It seems fewer and fewer come without them now. As well, there are many facilities with security and privacy policies that don't want them used or even in their buildings. It's just too easy for them to be used abusively rather than for fun and recreational use. These are the spy cameras we'd see in old B & W movies of old...except they really work.

Collapse -
me
by mementh / March 15, 2008 11:01 AM PDT

I turn the ringer off and check the caller id and leave if i absolutly have to take the call

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?