PC Hardware forum

Question

ok got an older system i wanna rebuild a little

by thorlof / October 4, 2012 3:35 PM PDT

ok so i have an older ccore due system i would liek to upgrade toa core quad this machine was compleatly a custom built i wanna see if i can upgrade the processter toa core quad or just get a new mother board for it

here is the specs of the cpu and board
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Cores 2
Threads 2
Name Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Code Name Conroe
Package Socket 775 LGA
Technology 65nm
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz

Motherboard
Manufacturer http://www.abit.com.tw/
Model AB9/AB9RPO(Intel965+ICH8) (Socket 775)
Version OEM
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P965/G965
Chipset Revision C2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801HB/HR (ICH8/R)
Southbridge Revision B0
BIOS
Brand Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version 6.00 PG
Date 04/02/2007
PCI Data
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI0
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI1
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI2
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI3
Slot Number 3

can anyone help i would apreachate it

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ok got an older system i wanna rebuild a little
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ok got an older system i wanna rebuild a little
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Very possible
by Willy / October 4, 2012 11:03 PM PDT

You know the mtrbd. info, now check its support website and see the cpu listing it will support. Further, since I see "OEM" stated here that may reduce full user interaction as in super-tweeking the PC. You may be able to do something but usually you're limited. You didn't state the actual PC model#, that too may limit upgrades if you plan to keep the same case, not all are flexible to accept new mtrbds.. Keep the old mtrbd. it should accept new "E-class cpus" with ease, again depending on the model#. if you currently have a working PC, then be 100% sure to check the bios level. Doing this allows full range of cpu upgrades, thus get the bios update and understand the instructions to install.

You're better off getting a custom generic case and then DIY whatever you plan to do. Since, you seem to want to stay with LGA775, that's usually wide open to cpu upgrades. Otherwise, if you buy all new mtrbd. you'll want to totally accept what's really new out there.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
ok so
by thorlof / October 5, 2012 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Very possible

is there and easy way to find out the modle # for the mother board or computer like i said this was basically built from the ground up

Collapse -
Choose
by Willy / October 5, 2012 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: ok so

Manufacturer http://www.abit.com.tw/
Model AB9/AB9RPO(Intel965+ICH8) (Socket 775)
/////////////////////////////////

The above is the info you supplied. You have the website of the mtrbd. maker and the model#, thus you use that to check. the mtrbd. itself should have a label/decal on to provide basic info too, again the support website you cross check.

quick reference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127004

Only duo-core supported(best) but no quad support. The manual should provide cpu support details and/or any latest from the website.

CPU list: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/26547

Now compare the E6600 to those above it for possible install. If your PC was an OEM like Dell, HP, etc., it will accept better cpus but it won't allow you to fiddle with it which a more user friendly mtrbd. would. Basically, OEM is a "go or no go" operation. Plus, you need to find anything better and a decent price. Now, its in your court...decide.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Cpu support
by Bob__B / October 5, 2012 1:10 AM PDT

The max cpu that mobo will support is the core 2 duo.

If you want to go to a quad core your looking at a mobo swap.

Collapse -
Answer
See link below.....Abit is no longer in the retail
by VAPCMD / October 5, 2012 10:35 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.