Speakeasy forum

General discussion

OK gang, fess up: So after all this talk about "The Passion",

by Paul C / February 24, 2004 9:37 AM PST

who here's going? I am - tomorrow night. Let you know later...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OK gang, fess up: So after all this talk about "The Passion",
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OK gang, fess up: So after all this talk about "The Passion",
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Maybe this weekend ... I'm not sure when yet
by Bill Osler / February 24, 2004 9:43 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:OK gang, fess up: So after all this talk about
by Mary Kay / February 24, 2004 9:53 AM PST

I will definitely see this one. Don't know how soon though.

Collapse -
Definitely. (NT)
by Kiddpeat / February 24, 2004 9:55 AM PST

Collapse -
Re: OK gang, fess up -- definitely not.

Hi, Paul.

I know and accept that He suffered and died in agony for me and my sins (along with everyone else), but I don't need to submit myself to the excruciating (word carefully chosen!) detail.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:Re: OK gang, fess up -- definitely not.
by Andrea B. / February 24, 2004 8:04 PM PST

I don't know..... you KNOW and ACCEPT that He suffered and died for YOU, but you maybe watching a movie of it (movie, Holiwood, make-believe) is more than you can submit yourself to?

Kind of reminds me of an old joke: "Mother, I just cannot stand watching you work so hard over our dinner all by yourself! Please close the kitchen door!!"

Collapse -
Re: OK gang, fess up -- definitely not.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 24, 2004 9:42 PM PST

Hi, Andrea.

There are lots of unpleasant things I intellectually know and operate on the basis of but don't want to subject myself to. I've never seen "Schindler's List" or "The Killing Fields," either.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
by C1ay / February 24, 2004 11:37 AM PST

If I don't make it to the theatre I'll catch it when the video comes out.

Collapse -
I want to. Not sure if the wife does. She seemed reluctant about it tonight.
by James Denison / February 24, 2004 2:39 PM PST

Some church members dropped by and among other things we started talking about the upcoming Passion movie. They seemed very interested in seeing it, but my wife is concerned over the graphic quality. She's always been squeamish when it comes to things like that.

Collapse -
NT - I will probably go see it, but I will wait a few weeks...
by Blake Cook / February 24, 2004 3:15 PM PST
Collapse -
by Josh K / February 24, 2004 10:05 PM PST

We're strictly renters these days, with the rare "treat" for one of us. When it comes out on video, we'll see. I haven't given it much thought.

Collapse -
Nope
by Dan McC / February 24, 2004 11:03 PM PST

It's a story that's been done time and again. The level of violence doesn't add to the appeal.

Dan

Collapse -
Yep
by Cindi Haynes / February 25, 2004 12:55 AM PST

I sure hope to. Looks like we might have sold our house (we find out by 6pm tonight) to a cash buyer, so we may need to be moved and in North Carolina within the next 3 weeks or so.

I do want to see it though!

Cindi

Collapse -
Yeah! ....
by Mosonnow / February 25, 2004 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: Yep

I haven't a clue who you are replying to, but please do let us know tomorrow if your "6.00 pm this evening" means that you Did sell your house. Fingers crossed (meaning "good luck").

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
(NT)Still heading for center area of NC?
by Roger NC / February 25, 2004 5:35 AM PST

Collapse -
NT Mt. Airy. Good ol' Mayberry. :-)
by Cindi Haynes / February 25, 2004 6:15 AM PST

Collapse -
I liked the area when I was there for a couple of days on vacation not long ago
by Roger NC / February 25, 2004 7:21 AM PST

Didn't spend a lot of time there, it was the first night stop after leaving eastern NC and travelling west. Spent two nights there. Is very close to lots of very beautiful mountain views. And it's not very far from Winston-Salem as far as getting to the 'big city'.

Have several pictures from Mount Pilot on the way there. So much in the area for visiting, what spare time (when you have some spare cash Wink also) can be spent close by for a while.

Hmm I think that's less than two hours from Toni H. also.

Collapse -
Re:I liked the area when I was there for a couple of days on vacation not long ago

Hi Roger,

Yep, I love seeing the mountains, and Pilot Mountain can be seen from Mt. Airy, though it's about 20 miles away. Winston's not bad as far as big cities go, and is close.

Toni is nearby, we tried once to get together while Greg and I were down visiting, but something came up. Maybe we'll have a big NC SE get together if we move!

Cindi

Collapse -
(NT) Welcome (I hope) to the Piedmont area.
by Bill Osler / February 25, 2004 9:06 AM PST

Collapse -
NT Thanks, Bill! I hope so too!
by Cindi Haynes / February 25, 2004 10:58 PM PST

Collapse -
Re: Yep -- congrats on the house sale! (NT)
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 25, 2004 12:36 PM PST

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Cindi Haynes / February 25, 2004 10:57 PM PST

My realtor says the other folks are getting together this afternoon to sign the papers. They weren't able yesterday when they were supposed to, they got hung up at a hospital in Ann Arbor with their daughter. I'm gonna feel a LOT better once those papers are signed!

Cindi

Collapse -
I'm going...
by Pat S / February 25, 2004 12:58 AM PST

I need to get a refresher in Latin. It's been a long time since I used it. The Arameic will be tougher - I guess I'll have to resort to the subtitles.

Collapse -
Nope and shouldn't they be speaking greek not latin?* or NT or whatever
by Rick S / February 25, 2004 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: I'm going...

Collapse -
Yup -nt

Collapse -
NT Yup, Greek and Hebrew. Latin came later.

Collapse -
Greek and Aramaic, mostly.
by Dan McC / February 25, 2004 2:32 AM PST

From what I've read and heard in interviews it was mostly Greek and Aramaic. Apparently, there was a practice of translating the Hebrew into Aramaic during worship.

Dan

Collapse -
You're right, Dan, I misspoke.
by Cindi Haynes / February 25, 2004 4:20 AM PST

I don't know where my brain is today. Greek and Aramaic.

I'll go sit in the corner now! Wink

Cindi

Collapse -
Ain't no big thing, Thanks. -nt
by Dan McC / February 25, 2004 4:34 AM PST

Collapse -
Huh???
by Bill Osler / February 25, 2004 9:05 AM PST

Granted, the New Testament was originally written in Greek (with a few minor phrases in Aramaic or Hebrew), but my understanding is that the movie was in Aramaic (because that was the language Jesus probably used most of the time for normal conversation) and in Latin (because that was presumably the language used by Pilate and the Roman army).

Hebrew was not used much for day-to-day interaction in Palestine at that time. Greek was the 'Lingua Franca' of much of the empire. I suppose Pilate might have used either Aramaic or Greek for contact with the Jewish populace but unless there is good documentation from somewhere I don't think that use of Latin for the movie was terribly unreasonable.

Collapse -
Re:Huh???
by Dan McC / February 26, 2004 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Huh???

I've heard the same objection to the use of Latin. You're right that Greek would have been a better choice. It's a fairly academic point, so we'll be hearing debate about it on NPR, no doubt. Wink

I remember they had their 'classics correspondent' on Weekend Edition when 'Gladiator' came out. They discussed the pretty good job of historical accuracy of some of the details of the film.

Dan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?