Speakeasy forum

General discussion

OK folks, let's be nice today

by jonah jones / September 10, 2006 8:30 PM PDT

families around the world are remembering loved ones who were senselessly murdered 5 years ago...

it's a time to say "there but for the grace of god go i"

i hope that the families and friends of the victims will find solace in the knowledge that good people of all races and religions will be thinking of them and praying for there well being...

jonah

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OK folks, let's be nice today
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OK folks, let's be nice today
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lest We Forget
by Catgic / September 10, 2006 8:59 PM PDT
All 9/11 Attacks:

Total Deaths 3,030
Total Injured 2,337

Iraq and Afghanistan War:

U.S. & Coalition Total Deaths To Date: 2900
U.S. & Coalition Total Wounded To Date: 19945
Collapse -
Best wishes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 10, 2006 9:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Lest We Forget

My Best Wishes to all Americans today.

Mark
UK

Collapse -
Thanks Jonah
by Josh K / September 10, 2006 11:15 PM PDT

I was going to make the same request. What say we agree to a one-day moratorium on political posts, and give this day the dignity it deserves.

It's going to be hard getting through the workday today. My heart is heavy.

Collapse -
Amen.
by Angeline Booher / September 10, 2006 11:28 PM PDT

I heard a deployed soldier on TV say that we should remember that the World Trade Center was one of the targets, and that there were victims of many countries.

May God be with the souls of those who died at the WTC, the Pentagon, and the field in Pennsylvania.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Amen to Jonah, and to your prayer, Angeline.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 10, 2006 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Amen.
Collapse -
Amen
by MarciaB / September 11, 2006 1:02 AM PDT

and may God bless us all

Collapse -
Yes...Amen, and thanks to..
by Rolway / September 11, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

all of you who are contributing your thoughts and prayers to make this a special day of remembrance.

George

Collapse -
I have no tv on today
by TONI H / September 11, 2006 1:30 AM PDT

I don't even know what tributes or memories types of programs are running....I would rather read quietly and have my own thoughts and prayers be with all those families instead of listening to spins by the media.

Bless them all...

TONI

Collapse -
MSNBC is running NBC's "Living History" ...
by Evie / September 11, 2006 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I have no tv on today

... coverage from that day. I wish I had though to tape it Sad It is bringing me back to how I felt that day -- all the uncertainty. I was working on an online course that day with MSNBC on in the background and was basically glued to the TV the entire day. Rewatching this vs. the tributes and retrospectives is bringing it all back home again Sad

Collapse -
Amen,
by Roger NC / September 11, 2006 1:34 AM PDT

whatever and wherever they are now, may they be at peace.

May their family and friends remember the good times they shared, not just the terrible loss.

Roger

Collapse -
Thanks Jonah, just now
by John Robie / September 11, 2006 2:04 AM PDT

reading your thread.

I watched ABC's TV program 'The Path to 9/11' last night. I believe that is the program that President Clinton is objecting to. It lasted exactly 2 hours and 40 minutes. What surprised me is that they had no commercials or interruptions the entire time. They were paying respect, just like the days of no commericals from the networks during 9/11 and when JFK was assassination.

The second and final ABC program will be on tonight.

Collapse -
I only saw around two minutes of it
by Josh K / September 11, 2006 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Jonah, just now

Then my wife came into the room and I changed channels out of respect for her feelings. She was diagnosed with PTSD due to 9/11 and simply cannot bear to watch anything related to it.

What little I saw looked well done.

Collapse -
For the first hour
by John Robie / September 11, 2006 2:23 AM PDT

I had to keep looking away because of the horrible (IMO) way current cammeramen were jerking the camera around, and cutting room editors kept the pictures flashing so fast from one scene to another.

The program was quite detailed. At the end they did have a printed statement that it was not a documentary, but material was obtained from the 9/11 commission and other government sources, and I believe news reports.

Collapse -
Understand your wife's concern...
by John Robie / September 11, 2006 2:37 AM PDT

as I recall she working and on a flight at the time of 9/11.

My wife also refused to watch, but we have several TV's, and I usually keep a 25" on right next to the PC.

Collapse -
She was
by Josh K / September 11, 2006 3:00 AM PDT

I tried looking at a few minutes of CNN's ''As it happened'' webcast but I had to turn it off. It was just too unbearable, not just as an American but as a New Yorker (and I always will be one, no matter where I may be living).

I remember the following spring, when the city had those two searchlights pointing straight up near Ground Zero (not in the actual site). My wife and I were on the Jersey side of the Hudson, in Weehawken, on a clear spring night looking across the river at the city and those lights. I just could not imagine why anyone would want to hurt such a beautiful place. Still can't.

Collapse -
I had my TV on
by John Robie / September 11, 2006 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: She was

when the program was interrupted for the 1st flash of the tower on fire. I turned off my PC and turned on every TV in the house to different stations, getting the horrible shock of events that followed.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Err... spelling..assassinated.
by John Robie / September 11, 2006 2:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
John, I wonder if that time reflects last-minute deletions
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 11, 2006 2:49 AM PDT

in response to the criticisms? The TV guides (even the one on my DDR, which is supposed to be completely up to date) all showed it as being three hours long. The finale tonight will unfortunately be broken into two parts by the President's speech.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I looked
by John Robie / September 11, 2006 3:07 AM PDT

at the clock, and the program was actually 2hrs, 40 minutes. The other 20 minutes were filled in with ABC news and interruptions from our local channel about the news coming on (after the 20 minutes).

Not sure if I detected any deletions, perhaps I missed something when I went to the bathroom a couple times. I did catch, however a short showing of Pres Clinton addressing the nation, but it didn't indicate to me something that they were critical of, and they later had him playing on TV in the background. Perhaps tonight..

Collapse -
Meet Sharon
by Josh K / September 11, 2006 2:53 AM PDT

Sharon was the older sister of a school buddy of mine. She was in the North Tower above the point of impact.

The page may take a few minutes to load, slow server I guess or a lot of people visiting the site today.

http://www.legacy.com/Sept11.asp?Page=TributeStory&PersonId=117363

If you know anyone who was killed on 9/11/01, you may be able to find a tribute at this site.

Collapse -
Thanks Josh...Good link. Meet a friend, The Capt.
by Rolway / September 11, 2006 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Meet Sharon
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you, George
by Josh K / September 11, 2006 3:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
At the risk of being misunderstood ...
by Evie / September 11, 2006 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Meet Sharon

... sometimes I think 9/11 gets too personalized. There is a blog ring that has even been established for each to remember one of the victims, thus I'm familiar with the legacy site from one such blog entry.

However sometimes that individual loss prevents us from remembering the enormity of what happened to the COUNTRY on that day -- all of us, whether touched personally or not.

Perhaps a comparison of how we all felt after the OKC bombing and 9/11 can help explain what I mean. Surely the lives of those lost in that bombing are no more or less important than those lost in 9/11, or even those lost to any number of tragic circumstances (the list could be endless).

But, as one reporter put it this morning, 9/11 was the first time in his life that he felt scared for his safety at home. Once the dust settled on OKC, most went back to daily life seemingly unscathed. Homespun terrorist whacko, caught, prosecuted, justice delivered, end of story.

With this, the threat that had been manifested abroad and out there for decades, finally hit home. All this time most of us felt safe that if we didn't travel abroad to "hot spots" or choose high risk professions, we were safe. Not so anymore.

Collapse -
I think that personalizing it....
by Josh K / September 11, 2006 7:20 AM PDT

...is the biggest thing that separates civilized people like us from the terrorists. Depersonalizing their victims is part of their training. Reminding ourselves that the victims were people with families, personalities, etc. helps keep us civilized IMO.

I know what you're saying but I don't think that personalizing it is mutually exclusive with the greater scope of the attacks.

I barely knew Sharon -- I only met her a couple of times -- but knowing that there was someone I had met, someone who was the family member of a friend of mine in that building, added a dimension to the already overwhelming shock of it all.

Collapse -
Ok. "Be nice" day is over
by Steven Haninger / September 11, 2006 12:09 PM PDT
BATTLE STATIONS! BATTLE STATIONS! Devil

No, just kidding. Happy
Collapse -
Steven.........
by Glenda / September 11, 2006 12:33 PM PDT

Go to your room now!!! You are a very bad boy!!!]:) LOL

Collapse -
Is it?. I was waiting for it to start.
by Rolway / September 11, 2006 12:35 PM PDT

Too bad theres a few on here that don't know the meaning of a nice day. At least its only a small few that lack respect.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Note: I was not referring to you Steven.
by Rolway / September 11, 2006 12:39 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?