Mac OS forum

General discussion

OK Apple, you win. I'll be good...

by lampietheclown / May 3, 2006 6:14 AM PDT

AAaarrrgggg!!!

As if the iTunes Minispy wasn't enough proof that Apple is sick of being better than everyone else, now Quicktime, the software I love to hate, has gotten into the act.
Quicktime 7.0.4, which was released the same day as iTunes Spystore 6.0.2 ( Coincidence? I think not.), has a feature that Apple is sure we'll all like. It's called advertising.

Well, it's not really called advertising. I shouldn't say that. It's called the ''Content Guide''. If we don't use bad words there wont be any bad things. Steve told me that.
I promise I wont say anything negative for the rest of the post.

If you look on the Quicktime page they don't talk about it, because they're modest I guess, but you can tell how excited they are about it by the way they describe the new Quicktime experience.

QUOTE:
Just launch QuickTime Player, and there?s no telling where you?re likely to land. The Player may whisk you to the Moon or perhaps to an exotic location on this planet.

They're right too, because just now mine took me to the famous SpyTunes Billboard, and I didn't even have to wait in line!

Here's the part you'll find really cool. If you accidently turn it off (cause who would want to?), it will turn itself back on again! All you have to do is try and open a movie that Quicktime doesn't know how to play, and instead, it turns on the Content Guide!

What? Ahh ... OK. Sorry.
I should have said, a movie that it knows how to play, but thinks you'll like the adver I mean Content Guide more. Of course it knows how to play it, I've got 3 pieces of freeware that play it just fine, and Quicktime is much better than Freeware, because I paid for it.

Freeware opens movies that you won't like, and doesn't take you cool places like the SpyTunes Billboard, and doesn't correct your mistakes by turning stuff back on for you either. Besides, you don't get to pay for freeware.

Here's another cool feature.
Apple knows what a drag it is using an old computer when they've gone to all that trouble to make new ones, so Quicktime 7 will remind you of how old your computer is. When the computer is new, everything works and you wont notice this feature, but as it gets older, Quicktime will turn features off that used to work, just as a friendly reminder that they made you a new computer, but you've forgotten to buy it.
How cool is that!

Oh, and there's just one more thing.
Apple didn't stop with just Quicktime. They've made the Crash Reporter easier to use too!
Remember how it used to ask if you wanted to send a crash report, and ask if you wanted to see it - save it - print it first? Well Apple heard your complaints about to much disclosure, and they did something about it!
Twice today, Little Snitch let me know that the Crash Reporter wanted to phone home, and take care of the whole messy business without even bothering me!
It takes a special kind of mind to make so many improvements in such a short period of time. It would take most people their whole lives and they still wouldn't have made those changes. I know I never would have!

singing ...
You've got to Accent. . .You Ate the Positive, E Limb . . In Ate the negative, Latch on to...

Ah, to bell with it!
AAaarrrgggg!

Lampie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OK Apple, you win. I'll be good...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OK Apple, you win. I'll be good...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nasty
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 9:02 AM PDT

I have not used QT in a while, I'll check it out

P

Collapse -
Little Snitch let me know that the Crash Report
by taboma / May 3, 2006 3:04 PM PDT

Lampie, what is that all about when you can't report a crash until after a crash! How the heck do you report a crash report. The thing just crashed, I don't know how it crashed, I just know it crashed you idiots!!!
Apple: Tell ME how it crashed!?

Crash report? Get the hook!
Might as well as talk to yourself endlessly or join a clown school.
RBB&B has a good one I am told. Sure beats Apple. Auditions start soon.
Keep up your good posts. You have potential?

-Kevin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you're not having a good day, are you Kevin?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 9:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
Not at all!
by taboma / May 4, 2006 2:11 PM PDT

Was doing a prep for a colonoscopy exam.
Would you be having a good day Pete?
It is true about posting to Apple. No return email except from the Pirate Group.

-Kevin

Collapse -
I had a wonderful day when
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 4, 2006 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Not at all!

I was prepping for mine, a couple of weeks ago.
Don't worry, you will not remember anything about the procedure and, despite the implement used, you could not even describe it as a pain in the ***.

P

Collapse -
Wonderful day, but?
by taboma / May 5, 2006 2:39 PM PDT

?slept through it. Next time?five years from now.
What a pain in the you know what!

Reminds me of listening on how the Intel dual Mac is developing problems lately. It is not a virus. Its only from doom-sayers and writers suffering from hemorrhoids of the brain. OUCH!!

ZDNET and other publications should do a thorough research on the subject of Mac viruses instead of jumping on the bandwagon.

Here is how to cure hemorrhoids of the brain using Prep-H:
Take two daily. If discomfort continues see your physician.
The scum-bucket writer says to his doctor ?I have taken two daily as you prescribed and nothing seems to work."
The doctor says "What are you doing, eating them?"
The writer replies "Of course I am, what did you expect me to do, shove them up my butt!?:

Have a nice day Pete. :

Collapse -
Does this remind you of another company?
by simoncroft / May 4, 2006 5:55 AM PDT

Good post Lampie. This kind of "system knows better than the user" attitude reminds me of another software developer. You know, the one that has an animated paperclip that is so much smarter than you, it offers to help you to write letters?

If this is the way the culture is going at Apple, I'm sad about it, because in some deluded way, I've always felt that in buying Apple computers I was supporting the alternative. Let's face it, Apple is still trading on that 'Windows equals corporate and dull/Mac equals creative and cool' ethos. Intruding on users lives doesn't exactly support that notion.

The real shame is that QT was so innovative when it launched and remains a really powerful delivery medium for interactive programming because it supports so many types of media. (For instance, you can put all your video on one layer and have another layer that has you control buttons prgrammed in Flash. By the time you've added a custom skin, you've got something really special.)

Bring back the pioneering spirit and let's have a bit less corporate BS!

Collapse -
Arthur C. Clarke has the answer
by Guido Muldoon / May 5, 2006 4:11 AM PDT

Merge Apple and Windows so they can jointly develope the HAL 9000 computer. You'll never have to make another pesky decision on your own again. HAL will always know best.

Collapse -
Lampie, don't worry about it..
by Gakada / May 7, 2006 4:50 AM PDT

It won't ruin your computer or stealing any private information like in windows based PC.

It just plain advertising, it doesn't matter if you click the link or not... they would not take any information from your PC.

The QT setting that going back to the default setting, is also a good thing, especially like you said, it happened after you play the wrong format... they just fix it for you by making the default again.

As for the crash reporter, it also just making a phone home to report the condition of your PC when it crashes... they didn't ask you about it, because they don't want you to be annoyed by the little dialog box, where you have to tell the PC what to do.

And again, don't worry too much about it.. those stealing, collecting information, Advertising, etc. are only bad for Windows OS based PC, not for MAC OS based PC.

Collapse -
just wondering
by russ666 / May 8, 2006 7:30 AM PDT

Quoting your post:
''It won't ruin your computer or stealing any private information like in windows based PC.

It just plain advertising, it doesn't matter if you click the link or not... they would not take any information from your PC.

''The QT setting that going back to the default setting, is also a good thing, especially like you said, it happened after you play the wrong format... they just fix it for you by making the default again.

As for the crash reporter, it also just making a phone home to report the condition of your PC when it crashes... they didn't ask you about it, because they don't want you to be annoyed by the little dialog box, where you have to tell the PC what to do.

And again, don't worry too much about it.. those stealing, collecting information, Advertising, etc. are only bad for Windows OS based PC, not for MAC OS based PC.''

And you are certain of all this because ?

Collapse -
Russ666
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 8, 2006 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: just wondering

Please refrain from cutting and pasting posts that are not your own. If you wish to advise someone of a thread in a post, just give them the link.
This thread has nothing to do with Yahoo.
Reviving a dead thread does not help the original poster who may only be looking for answers to their own post.

I realize that you may be trying to help but it can get confusing when things get posted out of context.

Thanks

P

Collapse -
To Lampie
by russ666 / May 8, 2006 1:28 PM PDT

His own colonoscopy prepped area now bleeding once again from the additional (but certainly much deserved) reaming, the now thoroughly chastened and publicly humbled and humiliated neophyte tries once again to slip one by the all powerful and ever watchful master moderater of mac. He respectfully (but with great trepidation) requests (once again) a look by the mysterious and greatly skilled clownMaster into an unrelated thread in the apps. and utils forum.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7582-0.html?forumID=28&threadID=173836&messageID=1913859
Should it please the clownMaster to give an opinion (and should the Moderator deign to permit the impudent and unworthy request to remain posted, the neophyte would dearly love to hear it. Perhaps other neophytes might also learn and gain much skill in his opinions.

Collapse -
A little overdone perhaps,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 8, 2006 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: To Lampie

but more in keeping with scheme of things.

One cannot help but wonder that had the supposed "thoroughly chastened and publicly humbled and humiliated neophyte" provided an email address in his BIO, whether there would have been a way for the the above mentioned neophyte to have been informed of his breach of protocol, in a less public fashion.

Perhaps the provision of such an address would have prevented the above neophyte from posting thinly disguised insults in this and other threads.

P

Collapse -
and thanks again
by russ666 / May 9, 2006 12:44 AM PDT

Thank you sir may i have another ?
as you suggest: an addition to my bio, i will try to do that. there may be compatibility issues. i tried it in the past but got nowhere in my failed attempt. i am browsing in Camino. This cnet forum page has a kind of fun and fascinating way to encourage me to feel stoopid. i would have given up entirely but i really do enjoy all the banter. You pros are what give me hope for the next and succeding generation. You are brilliant.

Collapse -
as to thinly diguised
by russ666 / May 9, 2006 1:25 AM PDT

You have me at a disadvantage sir. As insults are not what i am about with you or anyone else in these forums EVER, i am at a loss. Thinly disguised or otherwise, i meant no offense. Call me a wiseguy,3stooges style and poke me in my eyes, i swear this to you on my honor. If you tease me a little and i enjoy it and i tease you back a little, it is banter nothing more. In my poorly grasped only partial understanding, i may attempt (in error)to mimic my betters. When for example, i saw you quote a partial post it seemed to me it was ok for me to do that also. Thankyou for setting me straight as always. As you have suggested, i have again tried to put my email into my bio and this time i hope i may have gotten it right. Wonder of wonders!

Collapse -
The email is there now.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 9, 2006 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: as to thinly diguised

Posters may email you but will NOT know what email address they are sending to.
You may reply, or otherwise, using a real address or a junk mail one.

Tease and banter should be left to those that are reasonably well acquainted, lest the jest be considered something else.

PAX ?

P

Collapse -
pax
by russ666 / May 9, 2006 6:22 AM PDT

as the 3nd stooge would say: "sointenly" The pleasure was all mine.

Collapse -
Pete, I like to email Lampietheclown?
by taboma / May 9, 2006 2:04 PM PDT

?Give him a little encouragement for his theatrical lighting effects and his performances that I want to view with RBB&B Circus. I think Lampie has potential to be a great writer as well. That is how I like to use email.
Pete, I agree with you.
One of my favorites to email is Bob Proffitt. Bob is my hero when it comes to everything serious that I need to know on just about everything! Bob is one very smart person! I wish I knew half of what he knows.
Another favorite to email is a husband a wife team that grows roses. The wife does all the work and the husband just sits back and takes the credit for their beautiful garden. Figures.
However, the man does know his roses.

Pete, how did Russ666 get our colonoscopy tests mixed up with Lampie's post? What a pain in the ***! Russ lost me on that post.

I thought Russ666 was from England. Not the north Pacific coast.
Very confusing trying to follow Russ's posts for the last two days.
Seems to be on a duel with you. Not as a dual processor sort of thing.

Pete, you left off the full term with Pax. Should have been
Pax Vo Biscuits! (Peace with you also, in baking terms)

Am I the only one confused here? :

Collapse -
If i may be permitted
by russ666 / May 11, 2006 1:20 PM PDT

If you will permit me to try to explain the mixup:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=10&threadID=173896&messageID=1917241
It was four down from Lampie's original ''i'll be good.'' post. Well Kevin, if i may clarify also that had there ever been any kind of dual i would have automatically lost. Sorry, my apologies also to you and any other members that i may have inadvertently given the wrong impression to. Like you, my heros are Peter, Bob, Lampie and the WOZ. So we have that much in common at least.
russ

Collapse -
Pernitted
by taboma / May 11, 2006 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: If i may be permitted

Russ, Thanks. Those are people I have a lot of respect for also.
Who is WOZ? Wizzard of Oz? :

Collapse -
WOZ
by russ666 / May 12, 2006 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Pernitted

WOZ, whose real name i can never pronounce nor spell, was the real tech genius to (along with Jobs) create this graphics based tech-toy we are all so fond of. How are you and your colon getting on? Happy
russ

Collapse -
WOZ
by taboma / May 12, 2006 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: WOZ

Russ, Thank you. Better with the wonders of Prep-H.
I slept through the exam. No findings except a pain in the you know where.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Not much of an opinion
by lampietheclown / May 10, 2006 6:10 PM PDT
In reply to: To Lampie

I gave up on trying to get my Mac to do the video chat thing a while ago, and can honestly say I've never been in a "chat room". Everyone involved in chat seems to want to keep Mac's out, not just Yahoo.
It might be because Apple isn't willing to help by giving up the needed code, or because it's not worth the time when most will use iChat anyway, or because we'd be a drag on the party by slagging Windows every third post.
Yahoo probably feels a little snubbed that iChat took the AOL model, and that might have something to do with it.

Just guessing,

Lampie The Clown

Collapse -
Thank you for your insights
by russ666 / May 11, 2006 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Not much of an opinion

You are clearly a gentleman, a scholar and a master of 7 dead languages. Plus like others i enjoy your posts.
russ

Collapse -
Lampie, RIGHT ON! from Kevin
by taboma / May 10, 2006 6:56 PM PDT

I have to start over. Peter shut down your post. All 20 links.
Wow, that is a lot!!!
That is lame to do on Peter's part.
Will post to you later. Will this open it up again?

-Kevin

Collapse -
Kevin, you are becoming very close
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 10, 2006 9:57 PM PDT

to being an EX member.

Calm down, take another pill and STOP blaming me, my country and anything else you happen to think of, for you inability to comprehend.

I did NOT appreciate the email

P

Collapse -
Peter, You could have sent me email?
by taboma / May 11, 2006 3:57 PM PDT

?in place of your post on the CNET Forum. Not good to do.
Not professional at all to do.

? I take my adult low strength aspirin once a day thank you.

? I also have to take a Prep-H once a day since my colonoscopy exam last week. Kind of a pain as I explained to Rus666 recently.

Following your verbal bantering back and forth with Russ666 is what I was referring to with my inability to comprehend.
I am sure other CNET members were lost also. No replies.

Enough said!?

-Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?