HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

ok admin privledges on wimdows 7 i disabled them !! HELP

by mikofox73 / June 3, 2011 4:46 AM PDT

ok i wanted to see if i could lock out files and stuff on my computer i was leaving for the holidays and didnt want anyone getting on my comp so i disabled all the administrative privledges on the C:\ drive i just right clicked the C drive went into security and clicked deny for all users including the adfmin now i cant even get back into the admin settings to change it back because i have to run it as a administrator could anyone please help im locked out of it the c drive doesnt display how much stoage it has left and i dont know what to do somone please help the D;\ drive is totally fine with administrator privledges.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ok admin privledges on wimdows 7 i disabled them !! HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ok admin privledges on wimdows 7 i disabled them !! HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I have a question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 9:24 AM PDT

Given how users have changed over the years, do you think the next Windows should never allow this?

Is it time to turn the PC into something like a Windows Phone or XBox 360 or "tablet"?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not Sure Why You Would Do That...? But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 8:45 AM PDT

..here we fix it by using the Recovery Partition (D:) drive to attempt a "repair" reinstall of the operating system, if it's an option on your computer. That should allow your personal documents and files to remain but should take the system back to its original settings..

If that doesn't work, then a full, destructive reinstall using the Recovery Partition or Recovery Discs will be necessary.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
well
by mikofox73 / June 5, 2011 11:14 AM PDT

i mean no it is a great feature it allows me to have total control over my computer in administrative mode if i dont want people to view my files lock out pretty much all access to anyone interfering with my computer actually i think it would be a great anytivirus feature to implemnt to outside computers trying to access my computer anytime they would try to do something it would say access denied, all i have to say is the powerful ability it has on the computer. i think they should keep the feature so i could lock it out but make a way to access the administratar privledges bar so i could change it back(password feature). but so far it wont display my C:\ drive memory usage and wont let me add anything that would take any memory to the computer i guess i didnt know how powerful the operating system was and i wish i could find a simpler more effective solution i mean the computer is new and once you start using restore points things get kind a tricky slowed lagged i wish i wouldnt have to resort to a restoreI love windows 7 its something else seriously..

Collapse -
Answer
thanks btw
by mikofox73 / June 5, 2011 11:28 AM PDT

i was thinking of going the approach of just deleting the user start a new user account changes could be reset but im worried about the data dump that would be involved it seems in concept the programs will be there everything to make it run. with a brand new user and name when you acces at the startup. but if i dont i mean my user is administrator and if it dont delete the settings theres nothing over administrator to use the computer again im gonna give it a try thogh but before i do do you think i could have your opinion id really appreciate it im no wiz at all just thinking of a idea.

Collapse -
Answer
nope
by mikofox73 / June 5, 2011 11:52 AM PDT

no i mean everything that could be of assistance cant be access its all restricted i guess i shoulda freaked and turned it all back immediatley i didnt think it was locked up this badly it wont restore using the traditional restore methods now im thinking im screwed i was leaving for the weekend and didnt want anyone messing with my system i didnt realize it was this bad i was waiting for feedback on here b4 i touched anything.

Collapse -
Yep, A Reinstall Seems To Be The Best Fix
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: nope

There is a hidden "administrator" login but such must be enabled using an admin account prior to the issues you're having. But default it has a blank password but if you can't access an account with admin rights, then you can't enable the hidden administrator..

If you have the ability to access the hidden administrator account, then type the text below into a Run line window:

Click on Start-Run, then type: cmd then press "Enter" At the command prompt, type: Net user administrator /active:yes
Press the "Enter" key..
An unpassworded Administrator account will now show up on the Welcome screen.

To disable it: Open the command window again, and type: Net user administrator /active:no
Press the "Enter" key.

Unfortunately, if you've disabled access by ALL administrators, then this may not help either, but it's worth a try.. As stated in the title: A Reinstall Seems To Be The Best Fix

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Microsoft writes about this at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 1:39 PM PDT
In reply to: nope
Collapse -
Answer
YESSS
by mikofox73 / June 7, 2011 3:18 AM PDT

OK I FIXED IT STARTED IN SAFE MODE WENT TO ADMIN RIGHTS CHANGED BACK ALL PRIVLEDGES RESTARTED AND YEP GOOD TO GO .! WINDOWS 7 IS THE OPERATING SYSTEM OF THE FUTURE NO DOUBT ABOUT IT I LOVE THE PROGRAM ITS SERIOUSLY THE BEST THING SINCE DOS THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS ITS HERE ITS A GOOD TOTAL LOCK OF ALL YOUR FILES IF YOU GOT PEOPLE MESSING WITH YOUR CPU TOO THANKS AGAIN YOU ROCK!!

Collapse -
help again.
by mikofox73 / August 28, 2011 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: YESSS

wow ya know i loved this feature on windows 7 but now as of aug 20th i think my dad messed up everything this feature is deleted and now everytime i download anything from the internet its a new downloader it takes like 3 hours to download something then it says retry then nothing downloads ill download a movie from online and it downloads some weird webpoage thing im hoping i can still do a reboot the comps not even a year ol and im treally pissed i have an asus dual hardrive 3 terrabytes of memory on a 2 ddr ram and now its jacked cost me a shiton and im pissed off if anyone can help pls let me know i think it might be something to do with malaware antibytes mbam setup or something but im pissed i takes all day to download its like dial up and its super slow now. so anyone know how to get all my old windows 7 features back its running like hell now im so pissed off it cost a fortune pls help.

might get another windows 7.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.