Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

Rant

Oil Rigs in the Gulf

by TONI H / July 22, 2011 6:30 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Oil Rigs in the Gulf
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Oil Rigs in the Gulf
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Ten rigs are leaving the Gulf and another 8 have veered
by JP Bill / July 22, 2011 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Oil Rigs in the Gulf

Ten rigs are leaving the Gulf and another 8 have veered off to other locations....

ARE?...tomorrow? today? yesterday?

THEY move for lots of reasons....Cause and effect?

From your link

Ten oil rigs have left the Gulf of Mexico since the Obama Administration
imposed a moratorium on deepwater oil and gas drilling in May 2010

10 have left?...one year ago there were 122 rigs now there are 121.

Were they the ones that moved because of the storm and didn't return? When did they leave?

The US Gulf of Mexico offshore drilling
rig supply is down one from last week to 121 units following the
mobilization of a rig to Mexico. However, the contracted rig count is up
two from last week to 65 units.

1 leaves 2 come in?

Down 1 Up 2...business as usual?

Collapse -
Contracted doesn't mean
by TONI H / July 22, 2011 10:48 PM PDT

they have been issued permits yet and no construction or drilling has happened.

The 122 rigs have not been given permission yet to resume drilling, one left to go to Mexico (that was a deal set up with BO BTW). I haven't seen any report of any leaving because of the storm...but the one that leaked already moved out of the area months ago after waiting forever for BO to give them the okay to start back up, so they won't be back because they are already leased out somewhere else. If you read the article, you would know that the 10 are making arrangements to leave because they weren't waiting around anymore for BO to let them go back to work.

A couple of links for you.......

http://www.energydigger.com/rig-counts/u.s.-rig-counts.aspx

Gulf of Mexico Historical Rig Counts
The chart to the left, 1990 to present, shows the total number of offshore rigs (Texas & Louisiana) drilling in the Gulf of Mexico at any given time. With little effort, one can easily see the effect of the BP Deepwater Horizon disaster and the Obama Offshore Drilling Moratorium.

A close up picture of the graph......

http://www.energydigger.com/imageViewer/pub/graphs/rig-counts/us/2011-07-22/us-gom1

Collapse -
HEY!!!Don't bite my head off.
by JP Bill / July 22, 2011 10:58 PM PDT

If you read the article, you would know that the 10 are making arrangements to leave

IF YOU had read the article

Ten oil rigs have left the Gulf of Mexico

Collapse -
Sorry
by TONI H / July 22, 2011 11:03 PM PDT

again, my brain got ahead of my typing....Yes...ten have already left, but there are ten more supposedly making arrangements to leave. I closed the window to that article and forgot to copy/paste the URL. I'm looking for it again, and will post that additional link. So tht would make a total of 22 gone.

Collapse -
I can't locate that other article but
by TONI H / July 22, 2011 11:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / July 22, 2011 11:22 PM PDT
The U.S. land rig count was up 0.48% this week, up 9 rigs from
last week to 1,879 total rigs running representing an annualized change of 19.68%

Oil from land rigs cheaper and safer to extract that sea rigs?

Increase in 1 sector decrease in an other.
Collapse -
First
by TONI H / July 23, 2011 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Response

The topic was about oil rigs in the Gulf, not rigs on land.

Are you suggesting that 9 land rigs (which are nothing compared to offshore rigs in size and personnel) makes up for all the lost jobs in the Gulf with the moratorium that shut down everything at one time?

Collapse -
RE: makes up for all the lost jobs in the Gulf
by JP Bill / July 23, 2011 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: First

And here I thought companies drilled to make the biggest profit (with as few workers as possible) and a countries MAIN concern was having enough oil., and another concern would be the environment AND safety.

It all started after the BP Blowout....They brought it on themselves (lost their own jobs)?

NOW they have to earn them back.

Collapse -
Do you even pay attention to yourself
by TONI H / July 23, 2011 4:04 AM PDT

when you speak? Over a hundred rigs in the gulf and they 'brought it on themselves' and lost their own jobs????? They don't have to earn anything back, JP....what you said is like saying that because there is one accident on Highway 101, every vehicle should be parked forever until the auto industry can prove it will never happen again.

OK...I'm going back to not giving you the benefit of the doubt about being serious in a conversation.

Collapse -
RE: every vehicle should be parked
by JP Bill / July 23, 2011 5:15 AM PDT

That's what some said to Toyota didn't they?

Over a hundred rigs in the gulf and they 'brought it on themselves'

They left the oil rig operators to "police" themselves (with minimal gov regulations) look what happened.

IF they let 1 oil rig company do it's own policing all the others would cry Foul.

Remember when the Shuttle exploded...did they just build a new one OR did they review every aspect of the operation?

I'm going back to not giving you the benefit of the doubt about being serious in a conversation.

That's your prerogative. I won't be devastated or offended.

Collapse -
No
by TONI H / July 23, 2011 5:59 AM PDT

>>>That's what some said to Toyota didn't they?>>>> THEY didn't..TOYOTA made that decision voluntarily and it cost them a fortune just to find out that there wasn't a major problem with their vehicles all along.

We have THOUSANDS of oil rigs without incident and you claim, like BO, that because of ONE disaster, ALL should be punished and shut down, and new EPA regulations prevent permits from being issued in a timely manner. HIS agenda, just like with the coal industry, is to shut down ALL fossil fuels and go green NO MATTER WHAT THE COST TO THE JOBS MARKET AND THE ECONOMY, and ONE spill was all he needed to effectively slit the throats of the American people.

As for the Shuttle....it's not like we needed to have it up and running quickly or it would ruin our economy...they had TIME to review before another launch would be scheduled. How often were those shuttles lifting off...once every couple of years???

Collapse -
Don't forget
by Mike_Hanks / July 24, 2011 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Oil Rigs in the Gulf

The contempt citation ordered over the illegal moratorium.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!