TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Oh NOOO my SXRD got a little Green Blob now :(

by givemeaname / September 27, 2008 9:11 AM PDT

It is roundish, 2 1/2" on the left bottem side. Just started yesterday & it is only visible when the area is black. I got the 5 year extended warranty (Sony's), so I am covered BUT I have read sometimes that it never gets fixed right & in some cases it is worse after the "Fix".
I did have a Green Blob before but it went away the very next day & that was 6-8 months ago... untill yesterday.

Anyone here have had this trouble????
Does it get worse over time??? (weeks or months)

What happens if Sony can't fix it?? do I get my money back or do they put that $$$$$ to another Sony tv (I don't want an LCD tv)??? What happens to the SXRD if then??.. do I have to (pay) ship the tv back to Sony????

My concerns:

1) I get it fixed it is worse.
2) Sony can't fix it & I have to get a Sony LCD (they don't refund my $ but credit it), there LED LCD are too much $$, I'd rather have a 60" pioneer elite for the same price.
3) What happens to the SXRD, do I have to pay for the return or they do or what?

getting it 'fixed' opens a pandora's box of "what ifs"

I am probably going to get an Panasonic TH-58PZ850U next year when I can pick one up for about $2k'ish or wait for the next gen Plasmas, but untill then....

bought the tv in March 2007, TV build date Feb 2007

Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Oh NOOO my SXRD got a little Green Blob now :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Oh NOOO my SXRD got a little Green Blob now :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sorry
by jostenmeat / September 27, 2008 9:38 AM PDT
My concerns:

1) I get it fixed it is worse.

Its a warranty. Get it fixed. Whether it gets worse or not, you will never know till you try. And if its blobbed now, its not going to necessarily heal itself.

2) Sony can't fix it & I have to get a Sony LCD (they don't refund my $ but credit it), there LED

I bet they can fix it. Their SXRD tech is alive and well, with a new line of very nice PJs. In fact, get a PJ! Add 100-120" High Power screen for $300. Get a $799 42" Panasonic for overcompressed TV signals. Use the PJ for Bluray.

LCD too much $$, I'd rather have a 60" pioneer elite for the same price.

I hear ya, and I agree.

3) What happens to the SXRD, do I have to pay for the return or they do or what?

Don't know.

I wish you the best, and keep us updated.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / September 30, 2008 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: sorry

I am going to wait until after the new years to get it fixed, I have lots of time on my warranty left, so no rush. In the day time or if I don't have my glasses on I don't see the green blob in the black areas away.

I have decided on getting the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6100 ($1999 MSRP), I know that it is not the UB, but for a 1st projecter it should do what I want, as long as it has 'lots' of things to calibrate. I will never really be happy with any tv until OLED realy comes out & in sizes people wants.
I will get the projector next year (end of march) for a birthday present to my self & the price should be around $1800 or less then. I always get something for my self on my birthday & X-mas (this x-mas is going to be a Canon Rebel XSi & Ipod touch gen2 Happy ) Also there should be a few reviews out by then on this projector, hopefuly one from Cnet.
I thinking 92" at 9ft will look nice

Collapse -
for someone who enjoys video as much as you do
by jostenmeat / October 1, 2008 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: .....

I say don't skimp. This is a total ASSumption, but I believe that 99.9% of folks don't know how good a PJ looks. I Am Dead Serious.

This includes the AV stores. I've checked out some PJs, and with all the ambient lighting, and old bulbs, without black out or light control, it never ever looks impressive.

The best way I describe my HT experience, in fact they way I describe it, is "you simply won't believe it. It's the best picture you have ever seen in your life, whether IMAX, the theater, the AV store".

My PJ was 3k, granted I got a steal, but so can you if you keep your eyes peeled.

So, I daresay, you have no idea givemeaname. No offense meant. Its really that amazing.

I've been to a Pioneer store. Yeah, their Kuros fed with BD are pretty stellar. But, IMO, my pic blows theirs away, with multiples times the screen area, with money in the pocket.

JMO.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!