Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Oh crud !

by duckman / February 1, 2006 9:18 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Oh crud !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Oh crud !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You didn't mention
by TONI H / February 1, 2006 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: Oh crud !

what actually has happened? Did the scanner just quit...did the software for it become corrupt somehow....any error messages when you try to use it? What version windows? What software program is being used?

TONI

Collapse -
In the middle of a scan,
by duckman / February 1, 2006 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: You didn't mention

It stopped like the light bar was stuck and sounded like it was grinding.

Collapse -
Scanners are cheap these days.
by EdH / February 1, 2006 9:32 PM PST

Rather than waste time trying to fix it, I'd hie myself out to the elecrtronics store and pick up another one and continue the project.

When you're done you can decide whether or not it's worth it to fix the first one or give it a proper burial.

Collapse -
Scanners may be cheap,
by duckman / February 1, 2006 10:00 PM PST

but I am cheaper!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Right. But usually aggravation is costly.
by EdH / February 1, 2006 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: Scanners may be cheap,
Collapse -
Duckman ...
by Evie / February 1, 2006 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: Scanners may be cheap,

... that happened to a scanner of mine. I opened it up and manually pushed the light bar back. It "reset" after it was powered back up. Lasted a while longer anyway!

If it's anything more than that, it's not worth it!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
The good news
by duckman / February 2, 2006 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: Duckman ...

is I opened it up and pushed the light bar back and it started up OK so far. 999 more scans to go

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ah Ha! Congrats. ;-)
by John Robie / February 2, 2006 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: The good news
Collapse -
Do you have the negatives?
by kmarchal / February 1, 2006 9:53 PM PST

If so buy a scanners that allows you to feed it the negatives...

Just remember to clean your negatives unless you have a fancy for dust bunnies

Collapse -
I would LOVE to be able to
by duckman / February 2, 2006 12:03 AM PST

buy a negative scanner. Way too much $$$$$$ for me though

Collapse -
Hmm.....
by John Robie / February 2, 2006 12:53 AM PST

You say you are 'cheaper' and can't afford a new one, then Hey, even if you can't tell the difference between screw drivers, just wade in like Evie suggest and attempt to fix.

As a kid, I used to take broken alarm clocks apart attempting to fix, but never did fix. I still attempt to fix almost everything that breaks, qualified or not...me also 'cheaper'. Trial & error works fine. Sometimes just banging works..like my 19'' PC monitor needs to be slapped every so often when a short acts up. I can't think of any kind of mechanical/electrical thing around the house or garage that I haven't tried to fix. Wife bought me those "Time" fixit and other books, and is always bringing me 'How to do' pamphlets from Builders Square. Usually have about 70% success. Bought the Chilton repair books for my auto & truck, doing the easy stuff, even replacing brakes, rotors, tie rods, etc..

Fixing all relatives Computers and 3 of my own...self taught with the PC for Dummies book and watching/reading the ZDNet/CNet 'Help' forums, only asking 2-3 questions in 7 years.

So, unplug that broken scanner then plug back in...that works on a lot of things, even a PC....something like doing a reboot will restore resources with my Win98, and many times will cure a slight problem with my WinXP and WinMe PC's. Wear rubber gloves when inside the scanner and it is plugged in, along with the wife standing next to the fuse box.;-)

Collapse -
I can afford a new scanner
by duckman / February 2, 2006 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm.....

Just don't want to pay for a new one.

Collapse -
Too bad the shipping would cost more than a new scanner ...
by Evie / February 2, 2006 2:37 AM PST

... I have a perfectly good HP G85 that has awesome scanning capabilities but the printer is busted. It got replaced by a smaller, lighter, perfectly acceptable all-in-one for around $100. The G85 wasn't cheap, and I tried to fix the printer part which is a paper feed issue Sad but to no avail. There were enough advantages to the new one to make paying for the fix not worth it.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I was going on what you said...
by John Robie / February 2, 2006 3:02 AM PST
Collapse -
I've got that same scanner
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2006 2:34 AM PST

It doesn't look that hard to get into though I haven't tried it. If it ever jams I won't hesitate to open it. My old 6200 would get a film on the glass underside. Getting it apart was easy. This one looks like more of a challenge. If something of mine acts up I tend to either fix it or make it impossible for anyone else to do so. You've nothing to lose...yank it open.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.