Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Oh boy.

by Kiddpeat / November 11, 2008 2:43 AM PST

I was glad to see Mr. Obama meeting with President Bush in an apparently friendly and gracious manner. Last night it seems that the Obama organization leaked Obama's version of what went on in a private meeting with the President to the press. Obviously, there was no agreement on the President's part that a one sided version of the conversation be leaked. That means that every national leader in the world has now learned that Mr. Obama cannot be trusted. This looks like a huge blunder.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Oh boy.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Oh boy.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh boy.
by JP Bill / November 11, 2008 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Oh boy.

It looks like Obama isn't in control of the press.

Collapse -
(NT) Nope....He's just feeding them.
by C1ay / November 11, 2008 4:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Or maybe....
by Josh K / November 11, 2008 4:47 AM PST

....nobody specified during the meeting that the topics were to remain private, and now Bush is complaining after the fact.

Collapse -
Somebody
by oldie and goody / November 11, 2008 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Or maybe....

should have clued in the President Elect that the meeting results are not usually shared with the press!

Collapse -
and maybe someone from Mars was listening in, and
by Kiddpeat / November 11, 2008 7:21 AM PST

spilled the beans. You seem to suggest that Mr. Obama needs to be told how a private meeting between two political leaders should be conducted.

Collapse -
Or maybe,
by critic411 / November 11, 2008 10:27 PM PST

the incoming administration has no clue about protocol.

Collapse -
in an apparently friendly and gracious manner.
by JP Bill / November 11, 2008 5:21 AM PST

I saw a talking head that analyzes body language, when Obama touched President Bush above the elbow it was a sign of power.

on your "leak" story others should Read the story and make their own decision

I think it was very general in terms. IF they said "nothing was discussed" the press wouldn't have been happy.

Collapse -
After reading this link
by Roger NC / November 11, 2008 7:04 AM PST

I can't see a lot of problems, the description of topics were very broad and noncommittal. Nothing that wasn't talked about in the media by many before the meeting even.

The one thing that makes it questionable to me is -

Aides who described the discussion about the auto industry did so on grounds of anonymity, citing the private nature of the meeting.

The insisting on anonymity because of the private nature of the talks should indicate those speaking believed they were doing something shady. Perhaps elsewhere there are more detail reports on what was said that would be morally wrong and that is why they didn't want to be identified. The other possibility, indeed a probability, is trying to make it seem more important by implying it's a secret. Such a deliberate misleading technique should be regarded as wrong also.

Earlier in the article an official spokesperson said -

The Illinois senator's spokesman, Robert Gibbs, said only that the talks during Obama's first post-election victory to the White House were mostly "about the broad health of the industry" and were not just limited to any one of the three largest car makers.

That statement, unexpanded, is certainly not anything that anyone in Washington in front of a camera would flat out deny was important.

Collapse -
It was not the subject of the meeting, but the immediate
by Kiddpeat / November 11, 2008 7:24 AM PST

disclosure to the press. Mr. Obama's trustworthiness is now very much in doubt. That is not a good thing since he will be expected to meet and converse with world leaders.

Collapse -
I would think...
by J. Vega / November 11, 2008 7:30 AM PST

I would think that after the campaign money agreement to take public financing, there was already doubt in the minds of many people.

Collapse -
The story said...
by J. Vega / November 11, 2008 7:24 AM PST

The story said that they "met alone in the Oval Office", so any information about their conversations that that was given to the press could have come from one of two sources and would be second hand.

Collapse -
Sorry KP, but I did not hear such reports
by Angeline Booher / November 11, 2008 6:29 AM PST

.... either last evening, last night, this morning, or today.

Of course, I was watching the mainstream media.

Do you have more than one link for proof of actual leaks to where you saw this report?

All I heard was supposition on the part of reporters-sheer guesses.... absolutely no leaks.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
You might want to check;
by Kiddpeat / November 11, 2008 7:27 AM PST
Yahoo which is reporting the White House response or the New York Times who received the leaked information and reported it.
Collapse -
The only place I saw...
by Josh K / November 11, 2008 10:13 PM PST

....that suggested that the information was "leaked" and that Bush was not happy about it was.........Fox News. Everyone else treated it as though the information was "shared" (which implies consent) and not "leaked."

Collapse -
Only Fox is not in Obama's pocket, Josh!
by Dan McC / November 12, 2008 1:30 AM PST

I would think you'd know that.

Dan

Collapse -
What I saw---- and the only unexpected ---
by Angeline Booher / November 11, 2008 11:38 PM PST

.... still was that after the still photo, everybody else was shooed out pf the Oval Office. Nobody else was in there!

After they had their one-on-one talk, president Bush took the president-Elect on a previously unanounced quick tour of the residence!

For God's sake! President and Mrs. Laura Bush have done more than any others to make this a pleasant and smooth transition in this time of many crises, and this sort of looking for trouble starts! Don't they have enough on their plates? Can't people of Faith like you, KP, best spend their time praying for better times?

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
If you aren't paying attention to the news, and if you
by Kiddpeat / November 12, 2008 12:56 AM PST

aren't concerned about serious mistakes being made, that is fine. However, suggesting that religios faith requires such blind behaviour is well over the edge of reasonable expectations. We don't worship politeness, and we don't follow political leaders. Jesus was not polite to the leaders of His day, and He said that we must follow Him. Jesus set a standard of honest observation of events. We need to know what is happening before we can pray intelligently.

Collapse -
It is a matter of looking at current events
by Angeline Booher / November 12, 2008 2:48 AM PST

.... with the absence of tunnel vision. Unless one sees the whole picture, then the entire scope of problems is lost.

Perhaps you are blessed with having no well educated friends or neighbors facing a loss of their job, or health insurance. Or any whose retirement fund or college savings for their kids took a big hit too soon before they are needed to build them up again.

I think these go beyond politeness. And I believe Jesus finds prayers offered on their behalf worthy.

To ask for His guidance for the outgoing and incoming administrations is like a class-action prayer.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I guess there is a connection between Mr. Obama being
by Kiddpeat / November 12, 2008 7:53 AM PST

responsible for a leaked conversation with the President and the current financial situation, but I'm failing to see it. Perhaps, you can elaborate on the connection that you see between the two.

As for President Bush, pointing out Mr. Obama's error does not add to the stress on either his wife or himself. It was Mr. Obama who managed to do that.

Of course we should be praying for our leaders, our country, and our neighbors. Most of all we should pray that our neighbors are moved to place their faith in Jesus Christ. That is what God is most concerned about. I am, of course, praying for the incoming administration. God has placed Mr. Obama into the office of President, and it is our duty to support him in prayer. That does not in any way preclude commenting on the man's blunders. We can pray that God will teach him as a result of these mistakes, but that doesn't lessen the impact of the mistake. It would be irresponsible to sit idly, and say nothing about obvious errors in judgement.

Collapse -
I am one neighbor.....
by Josh K / November 12, 2008 10:11 PM PST

....who does not place his faith in Jesus Christ. Our neighbors in Israel don't either. Is that your criteria for a "good neighbor," that they have to be Christian? So much for the world's Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists......

Collapse -
(NT) Some prefer to prey, Angeline. :(
by Dan McC / November 12, 2008 1:36 AM PST
Collapse -
We know YOU have been praying a lot, right?
by EdHannigan / November 12, 2008 5:03 AM PST

-chuckle-

Collapse -
Who are you referring to Dan?
by Kiddpeat / November 12, 2008 7:53 AM PST

Who do you think is preying on whom?

Collapse -
Praying for better times?
by EdHannigan / November 12, 2008 5:09 AM PST

Well. there still COULD be a miracle. Remember our discussion of the Electoral College?

Collapse -
If I infer correctly to what
by Roger NC / November 12, 2008 8:54 AM PST

you seem to be referring, I suspect if there ever is a faithless vote by the electoral college at this time, there will also be a huge breakdown in civil society.

I wouldn't even rule out a rebellion requiring troops to stop citizens. I wonder if anyone thinks that would really do anything to make this country better or stronger.

Roger

Collapse -
Well, Angeline seemed to be pushing for...
by EdHannigan / November 12, 2008 11:27 AM PST

divine intervention, so I figured that would be where the most good could be done.

By the way, I don't use "smilies", but I would expect one to recognize absurdity without them...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?