Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Offline Content Stored Locally

by morph / August 13, 2005 2:35 PM PDT

Running: XP(SP2), IE6
In Internet Options, General tab, Temporary Internet Files section, hit the Delete Files button. In the resulting Delete Files box, the option is given to "delete all your offline content stored locally." Please tell me how to locate this "offline content stored locally," so I can take a look at it and make the decision whether to delete or not delete.
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Offline Content Stored Locally
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Offline Content Stored Locally
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This from Internet Explorer's Help file
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 13, 2005 8:39 PM PDT

""To save a Web page on your computer

On the File menu, click Save As.
Double-click the folder you want to save the page in.
In the File name box, type a name for the page.
In the Save as type box, select a file type.
Do one of the following:
To save all of the files needed to display this page, including graphics, frames, and style sheets, click Web Page, complete. This option saves each file in its original format.
To save all of the information needed to display this page in a single MIME-encoded file, click Web Archive. This option saves a snapshot of the current Web page. This option is available only if you have installed Outlook Express 5 or later.
To save just the current HTML page, click Web Page, HTML only. This option saves the information on the Web page, but it does not save the graphics, sounds, or other files.
To save just the text from the current Web page, click Text Only. This option saves the information on the Web page in straight text format.

With Web Page, complete and Web Archive, you can view all of the Web page offline, without adding the page to your Favorites list and marking it for offline viewing.
When you choose Web Page, complete, only the current page is saved. If you want to view Web pages and the pages they link to while offline, click Related Topics below. ""

So offline content really is only web pages saved to your computer so you can read then later. Where they are saved to depends on where you have chosen. I must admit I am not sure how IE would be able to delete offline content, especially if you saved the pages to one location, then moved them elsewhere later.

Collapse -
Offline viewing
by Cursorcowboy / August 13, 2005 9:56 PM PDT

1. When you make a Web page available offline (on the Favorites menu, click Add to Favorites, select the Make available offline check box and to specify a schedule for updating that page and how much content to download, click Customize, and follow the instructions on your screen):

? you can read its content when your computer is not connected to the Internet

? you can specify how much content you want available, such as just a page, or a page and all its links, and choose how you want to update that content on your computer.

? if you just want to view a Web page offline and you don't need to update the content, you can save the page on your computer (click File menu, click Save As, double-click the folder you want to save the page, in the File name box, type a name for the page, in the Save as type box, select a file type, and then click OK). There are several ways you can save the Web page, from just saving the text to saving all of the images and text needed to display that page as it appears on the Web.

2. Users of Internet Explorer -- version 5.x at least -- will find one Temporary Internet Files folder labeled ''Content.IE5''. There are normally four randomly generated folders under the ''Content.IE'' folder where the actual files exist, and should generally be 25% of the maximum set usage percentage of the hard drive. If the option for ''offline viewing'' is also enabled in the browser, there will be eight separate folders.

Note: Normally if you have offline viewing enabled, when emptying the caches through the browser options and you click the Delete files button, the next applet will not have a checkmark in the box Delete all offline content. If it does not have the checkmark present and you want the second set of four folders removed, place a checkmark in this box before clicking OK.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?