Samsung forum

General discussion

OFFICIAL BLU-RAY 2.03 FIRMWARE UPDATE THREAD

by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 18, 2009 5:57 AM PDT

Forum Members,

We've posted new firmware for the BD-P1590, BD-P-1600, BD-P3600 and BD-P4600.

Fixes include:
Widget upgradability - Pandora, etc.
Playback compatibility - (Wolverine, and others)

I apologize for the inconvenience as posted by several members here.

If your unit is currently unresponsive, please follow these instructions:
1. Download and launch the CD (.ISO) file to burn a firmware update CD.
2. Unplug the unit for 10 minutes.
3. Plug it back in, power it on and press down the FF button for 12 seconds. If possible open the CD tray and put the update CD in the tray. If it doesn't launch...
4. Power the unit off with the CD in the tray and power it back on.

It may allow you to update, which will effectively erase any software causing a problem and install a fresh working version of the firmware. If it still doesn't work, we could try a few more things, but it may have to be sent in for service. I'm working to see if I can get some of the fees waived for the labor if that ends up being necessary, so please stay tuned, and I appreciate your patience as I work to assist you.

If your player IS reponsive, you will be prompted to update today, and you can update by the method of your choice. Last night I updated my own personal player when I got home wirelessly, and so far, so good.

Please post your experiences here as we work to correct the problems that people are experiencing. Again, I apologize for the troubles, and will work tirelessly until your experience is a good one.

--HDTech

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OFFICIAL BLU-RAY 2.03 FIRMWARE UPDATE THREAD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OFFICIAL BLU-RAY 2.03 FIRMWARE UPDATE THREAD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2.03 is on my system and has not resolved the netflix issue
by acarrera79 / September 18, 2009 7:56 AM PDT

I've upgraded to the 2.03 firmware.
I did a reset of the system and allowed it to sit unplugged for ten to fifteen minutes.

I can connect to my wireless network, but the Netflix streaming issue still exists. I can only watch a movie for 10-15 minutes before it disconnects.

Is there anything coming up to fix this? Should I be sending this unit back in? I get extremely inconsistent responses when I call in.

Collapse -
PROBLEM UPDATE
by acarrera79 / September 18, 2009 8:58 AM PDT

I did another FF update and tried watching a netflix movie. I got to 16 min 39 seconds and it reset. I immediately paused the movie and fast forwarded back to where I was (the move started fast forward at 0 min). The unit continues to work, where previously it would have frozen and lost the network connection a minute or so after it became "unstuck" from the movie time.

Collapse -
2nd time
by acarrera79 / September 18, 2009 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: PROBLEM UPDATE

I just had to pause and then fast forward at approximately 33 minutes.

The unit has continued to work.

Collapse -
Identify fixes
by nyteowl337 / September 18, 2009 10:57 AM PDT

Could you please provide a little more information about what fixes are included in this release? "Widget upgradability - Pandora, etc." and
"Playback compatibility - (Wolverine, and others)" is a little vague and doesn't seem to address whether or not the problems identified on this board have been addressed. Given the history of these firmware updates, I would like to know more about what is being fixed to see if the risks of new problems is worth it in the hopes of fixing the existing issues (netflix freeze, etc).

Thanks

Collapse -
Identify fixes
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 18, 2009 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Identify fixes

nyteowl337,

That's all I have right now. As soon as I get more information, I'll be happy to post it.

--HDTech

Collapse -
New Firmware
by goernie20 / October 29, 2009 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Identify fixes

I hate to say it - my unit crashed after the last firmware update. It was bricked - as they say. Nothing would work. I went to Best Buy and thought they would take it back and deal with Samsung. No luck. So I bought a new unit - replaced my unit and returned the old unit in the new box. That was a month ago. The new unit works great.

So --- not a great way to deal with the problem but it worked and Best Buy will send it back to Samsung and then it will be fixed.

I will not upgrade any firmware until I am sure that it will work. It isn't worth it.

Collapse -
firmware 2.03 update
by mkvannor / September 18, 2009 1:37 PM PDT

Tried downloading to cd and updating...player is still frozen. When I turn it on it says load...when i open the disk tray it says closed..then open. Then when I shut the disk tray it stays stuck on close. When the disk is in it acts like it is reading it(i hear noise...but nothing happens.)

Collapse -
UK Compatible?
by mike_tv / September 18, 2009 5:45 PM PDT

Hi,

Can I use this firmware on a player in the UK? Currently the UK site is only showing v2.02.

Thanks,

Mike.

Collapse -
UK Compatible?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 18, 2009 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: UK Compatible?

mike_tv,

I recommend against loading cross-regional firmware updates.

--HDTech

Collapse -
The update failed to fix it for me
by mike_tv / September 19, 2009 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: UK Compatible?

I tried updating to v2.03 using the CD download, and following the instructions here, but was unsuccessful, and the player remains in the LOAD state. So I have now taken it to my local Samsung service centre for repair.

Collapse -
Stuck on load
by nostro69 / September 19, 2009 12:07 AM PDT

After tyhe firmware update my bd-p1600 also failed to work and is stuck on the load screen. I've unplugged it for an hour. I have tried resetting it by holding FF. I have also tried upgrading the firmware both via CD and usb. I now own a $300 brick. What do you suggest I do next? I'm not even sure if it is still under warranty. Would it still be covered if the manufacturer caused the failure?

Collapse -
Stuck on load
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 23, 2009 7:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Stuck on load

nostro69,

Get a service ticket from 800-SAMSUNG and post it here. I'll see what I can do to get the labor charges taken care of for you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Turn around time?
by 31delph / September 25, 2009 6:41 AM PDT

I sent my bricked 1600 in 3 weeks ago and my online ticket status has not been updated. However, when I called Samsung yhey did confirm that they received my machine but would not give any other details.

How big is this mess? Any estimates on when I might see my machine again?

Thanks

Collapse -
Turn around time?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 27, 2009 3:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Turn around time?

31delph,

What's your transaction number? I'll see if I can help answer that.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Service Request
by 31delph / September 28, 2009 8:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Turn around time?

Thanks!

Collapse -
not much faith
by nostro69 / September 28, 2009 3:49 AM PDT

I have been on the phone with them for a week. I have faxed my POP 3 times only to be told it takes 2-3 days and even then they did not get it. Today I emailed them a scan of the POP and once again they said that it would be 2-3 days call back. The machine was manufactured Mar 09 so it is not even 1 year old. This is the worst customer support I have ever delt with.

Collapse -
Case #
by nostro69 / September 28, 2009 4:30 AM PDT

This is my case # 4005568808

Collapse -
Case #
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 29, 2009 4:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Case #

nostro69,

I'll look into this. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Support Nightmare
by nostro69 / October 14, 2009 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Case #

Does the fun ever stop.

Just to give you an update. So I got the POP thing ironed out and received prepaid sipping information as a quest reword. I sent it the next day and on 10-5 received a conformation email that they received it.

"We received your Samsung BD-P1600/XAA on 10/02/2009 at 13:51:00.
Your product should be ship back to you within 5 business days, you can also check the real time repair status by clicking the "Repair Self Tracking" button in this e-mail."

This is the one and only communication that I have received from Samsung support.

I was not able to get the repair tracking to work, I kept getting a "invalid phone number error???". When I called support they did not know why I was getting the error but assured me that if I would just give them some time all would be well.

I do.

It's 10-12 and I have not heard a word so I call. They said it looked like the machine had been repaired and had been shipped out. When I asked for a tracking number I was told that that information had not been added to the ticket yet and to call back.

It's 10-13, I call and am told that there is still no tracking number and I should call the repair center directly for status. When I call the number that they gave me I was told that they could not talk to me and that would have to call this SPECIAL elevated support number and by the way, they are closed for the day.

This morning 10-14, I called the special number and was told that they could not fix my unit and where going to send me a replacement. When I asked when I might expect this replacement, I was told that it had to go through an approval process first. The representative told me that the process can take from 7 to 14 days and to call back next week.

That's where I'm at, Extremely frustrated with the process and treatment that I have received. Am I going to ever see a machine? I don't know. History tells me that the next time I call I could get an entirely different story.

Nothing is perfect, things break and need to be fixed. That is what a warranty is for, but it is hard for me to think that Samsung cares about the customer after they have bought a Samsung product. I feel like I have gotten the smelly end of the stick on this one.

Collapse -
Ridiculous!!
by soundgarden1 / October 14, 2009 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Support Nightmare

nostro69,

I feel your frustration... your experience is sadly, a common occurance right now. The position that Samsung support has put you in, and as an electronics business owner, I can say that it is unacceptable. I would work towards a refund and buy a PS3. Sad to say, but this has gone too far and has been a long standing epic battle to get these machines to work as intended... and for the support departments to drop the ball in such frequent and unprofessional ways, it's criminal. I feel that consumer patience is being taking advantage of, and nothing significant is being done to improve product issues and customer relations. Just my two-cents.

Good luck with your player!

Collapse -
Almost 2 months and NOTHING!
by nostro69 / November 14, 2009 10:53 PM PST
In reply to: Support Nightmare

Well it?s 11-15-09 and I am still getting the runaround. I have not gotten any emails on status and when I call they have no answers and the representative says they will send some emails to find out. When I call back (I am calling every other day now) I get the same response.

I am at the point now where I do not feel that I will ever get this resolved through Samsung. When I ask to talk to someone in charge I am told that I am at the highest level and have no place left to go.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do next? Is there a consumer group that I could contact?> I can?t be the only consumer that has been ripped off by Samsung.
Is there any legal recourse that anyone can think of?

I need some help, I am very frustrated at this point and am considering putting my experience with Samsung on every review site that I can find and contacting a local San Francisco television station who likes to help consumers in my situation. Other than that I don?t know what else to do.

Collapse -
Should I install 2.03 NOW?
by xraffle / September 19, 2009 1:52 AM PDT

HDTech,

I had problems with 2.02, so I downloaded 1.04 as soon as it was up on the site. So far, I really like 1.04 and I've had very little problems with it. In fact, it has given me the least amount of problems out of all the firmwares I've used. 1.04 fixed my lip sync problem I was having and it fixed some of the compatibility problems I was having before.

So, my question is: should I install Firmware 2.03 NOW or wait until I need to (i.e. if/when I buy the Wolverine movie or other BDs with compatibility issues)? I'm kind of afraid to download this firmware update now because 1.04 has been working so well for me that I don't want to mess up something that's working fine.

Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
Should I install 2.03 NOW?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 23, 2009 8:37 PM PDT

xraffle,

It's up to you. If you decide to update and have troubles with it after the update and a revert doesn't fix it, call 800-SAMSUNG, get a transaction number and I'll see what I can do to assist in getting affected units fixed.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Minor Netflix problem
by RedZeppelin / September 19, 2009 4:42 AM PDT

I've only watched one feature on Netflix since installing 2.03 but it worked perfectly.

The only problem I'm having now is one I had with 1.04 as well. Many times if I try to start Netflix immediately after turning on my 1600 it won't connect to the online service. It will simply stick at the red loading screen and stay there indefinitely. Turning the player off and back on doesn't help.

But if I load Pandora and let a song start playing then exit and go back to Netflix it works every time. It's almost as if Netflix isn't initiating the network connection properly and needs a kick-start from another network application.

Very strange.

So far, though, this is the best firmware I've experienced to date. Kudos to Samsung for this one.

Collapse -
I think I figured out the problem
by RedZeppelin / September 21, 2009 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Minor Netflix problem

The other day I launched Pandora immediately after starting up my 1600 and I got a connection error. I simply waited a few seconds and tried again and it worked.

I'm guessing that's related to the connection problem I was experiencing with Netflix. It seems that the 1600 takes a few seconds to recognize and/or connect to the network when it first boots.

Now when I first turn it on I wait for about 30 seconds before launching any of the network applications. Since I've started doing that I've yet to have any connection problems with Netflix or Pandora.

Collapse -
Minor Netflix problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 23, 2009 8:45 PM PDT

RedZeppelin,

When you see the four icons appear on the screen, give it about 30 seconds to see if it's the network initiating a wireless connection. I notice on mine that the internet isn't "instantly connected", but takes about 20 seconds. I'd be curious to know if waiting that 20 seconds after the four icons appear if you're able to just go directly into Netflix.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by RedZeppelin / September 24, 2009 1:30 AM PDT

Waiting 20 or so seconds before trying to connect to Netflix has worked every time so far.

I'm on a hard-wired network connection, so it would seem it still takes a few seconds to connect to the network that way as opposed to just wirelessly.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 25, 2009 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

RedZeppelin,

I'm guessing it takes that long for the system to boot up, go through the POST and then connect to the online connection.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Netflix
by ikesterhaney / September 19, 2009 6:16 AM PDT

Are there any Netflix fixes?
I have been having problems with the playback position in Netflix. I watch an episode or movie and Netflix reports that only a few minutes have watched. If I pause/stop and come back, the show starts off at the wrong position.

Thanks.

Collapse -
BDP1600 does NOT play MKVs after 2.02 FW upgrade (Canada)
by chuckfredgoose / September 19, 2009 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Netflix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I purchased the BDP1600 over other models was that it was suppose to play MKVs, so I updated to 2.02 (Canada firmware).
I see YOUTUBE now at start up. And it says that I am at 2.02_XAC in the System Info, but it does NOT play MKVs. I CAN play AVCHD without any problems.

1) How do I play MKV files?

Also, I cannot play region 2 DVD movies on this region 1 player. I tried Powering off/then on. I then opened then closed tray after the BR player was all booted. I then pressed REPEAT followed by (R1 code) 29334. Nothing happens. The Number '1' doesn't show up, so I can't press 9 to make it region free.

2) How do I make it Region Free?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!