Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Officer Suspended After Video Threat

by jonah jones / September 12, 2007 6:21 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Officer Suspended After Video Threat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Officer Suspended After Video Threat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
...and some don't...like 99% don't. And that's...
by Jack Ammann / September 12, 2007 10:36 PM PDT

...true in Israel and Great Britain, as well as the United States...as you exclusively linked to. And when you mention, "seems some officers do abuse their power....", that's rather old stuff, since that's been going on for....let's see, how many years have "police officers" been in existance on the planet?

Collapse -
Did anyone say different?
by EdH / September 12, 2007 10:43 PM PDT

Happy New Year.

Collapse -
You have to wonder though...
by C1ay / September 12, 2007 10:51 PM PDT

Why does Brett Darrow need a dash cam to record all of these run ins with the police. I've been pulled over once in the last 15 years. I was legimately speeding and he gave me a ticket, nothing more, nothing less. I have to wonder why Brett is getting into multiple altercations to begin with. Is he somehow soliciting these encounters so he'll have something to record on a dash cam that the rest of us don't seem to need? Is he somehow setting up these altercations? Me thinks there's more to this than we're hearing.

Collapse -
Sounds like there was some kind of feud going on...
by EdH / September 12, 2007 11:03 PM PDT

...either on the part of the citizen, or both him and the police officer(s). As so often happens we don't get the complete story.

We had a similar case in NH where this guy was in constant trouble with one particular cop. It ended with the guy shooting and killing the cop and then an onlooker grabbing the gun and killing the guy. Bad blood all the way.

Collapse -
(NT) Now THAT'S sad. :-(
by drpruner / September 13, 2007 1:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
I suspect the same.
by grimgraphix / September 13, 2007 12:31 AM PDT

I know of some small groups out there (conspiracy theorist, ultra-libertarians, ultra-religious, ultra-right, ultra-left, no-taxes, posse etc) who have published pamphlets on how to test the boundaries of the law today. They create confrontations, basically in an effort to emphasize their particular view of the world as being the correct one (hmmm... that behavior seems so... so familiar, somehow).

I suspect this young man is one of the converts who is bound and determined to demonstrate police stops as illegal unless you have broken some specific law. I would like to see the whole tape and see how the guy goaded the cop into losing his temper.

On the other hand, the fact that the cop would threaten to come up with a trumped up charge to take the kid to jail aptly demonstrates there are two sides of the coin here. As I mentioned recently, I worked alongside the police for several years, and if the police want to detain you, they can find plenty of reasons to do so, while still covering the legal bases

Here is an actual conversation a biker friend of mine had, when stopped by a Maryland state trooper. My buddy was on his way to a funeral, had out of state plates, Driving an early 80's Cutlas (all tricked out), was dressed in a suit, with long hair, piercings, tattoos. Keep in mind he was traveling on a 4 lane highway with a center divide... "Sir, You swerved back there and crossed the center line... have you been drinking? No? Can I search your car? No? Well, I can hold you here while I wait for a police dog. Why do I want to search your car? Well, this highway is used by many people moving drugs across state lines... etc. etc. etc."

An thus, the game is played.

Collapse -
Speaking of bikers...
by C1ay / September 13, 2007 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I suspect the same.

I stopped at a local convenience store one morning for a cup of coffee and there was a local deputy there doing the same. A long haired hippy type pulled up to the gas pumps out front and the deputy felt compelled to go pry a little to find out who it was. As I came out of the store I heard the biker asking the cop just what he was being interrogated for and why the cop needed to see his license. The cop got a little short with the guy and said something like, "I'm the only one asking questions here". About that time the guy whips out some badge and said, "Oh no you're not. Now where can I find your supervisor." The local deputy got very apologetic at that point and the biker dropped it. I can only assume that the biker was from some agency with more clout than the local deputy.

Collapse -
Remember
by duckman / September 13, 2007 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Speaking of bikers...

Generally, the police cannot just check you or your ID unless they have a valid reason to. And if he has a valid reason to, you must comply (other wise he can then arrest you). Plenty of cops out there like in Rambo.

Collapse -
hmmm... that behavior seems so... so familiar, somehow
by EdH / September 13, 2007 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I suspect the same.

Indeed it does.

-chuckle-

Collapse -
Don't start Ed,
by duckman / September 13, 2007 1:02 AM PDT

After all, this is KKK day +2

Collapse -
Funny, Ed.
by grimgraphix / September 13, 2007 1:16 AM PDT

Kettle calls a pot on the telephone ... "Hello Mr. Pot? You're black"

-chuckle-

Sue me for copyright infringement my fishing friend.

Wink

Collapse -
I'm not your fishing friend..
by EdH / September 13, 2007 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Funny, Ed.

you are the only one with bait in the water here.

Collapse -
Oh wqait; I'm wreomng...
by EdH / September 13, 2007 1:24 AM PDT

Jonah threw some chum in his first post. I gave him a pass because it's Rosh HaShana.

Collapse -
Sure, Ed. And you're not biting. Right?
by grimgraphix / September 13, 2007 1:24 AM PDT

Feel free to have the last shot.

Collapse -
Okay...
by EdH / September 13, 2007 1:42 AM PDT

at least you admit you were baiting.

Collapse -
(NT) Sub thread is closed !!!!
by Angeline Booher / September 13, 2007 7:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
St Louis has a problem? Targeted by the ACLU
by James Denison / September 13, 2007 11:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
This must be it, but attributed to some other district
by James Denison / September 13, 2007 11:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
iT'S 3 PARTS?
by James Denison / September 13, 2007 12:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
Get an Auto Club map of Louisiana.
by drpruner / September 13, 2007 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: iT'S 3 PARTS?

Huge sections of the state are redlined as speed trap territory. Almost all are small town clusters.

Collapse -
A couple of stories.
by drpruner / September 13, 2007 1:26 PM PDT

First, in San Diego some years ago, a Black activist commonly went walking through White neighborhoods (which "did not exist" at that time) and was as commonly stopped and questioned. Usually he was arrested because he carried no ID (deliberately) and refused to identify himself. He claimed those were his rights; the courts finally agreed with him, so everyone's life is now a little freer.

Being anti-badness, I have to sympathize with and cooperate with cops as much as I can. But I notice one effect of the widely-noted "siege mentality": Departments rarely if ever apologize for even the worst miscarriages. I'm told that department lawyers insist on it. I wonder how many problems would be minimized or forestalled by a timely, "We screwed up; we're very sorry, period."

Collapse -
(NT) The stories were meant as a reply to the original post.
by drpruner / September 13, 2007 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: A couple of stories.
Collapse -
In florida
by James Denison / September 13, 2007 10:31 PM PDT

stay off the section of US 301 that cuts between I-10 on the north to I-75 heading south. It's always been a speed trap for Starke, Lawtey, and some other small communities there. I think it's the only way they support their local small town governments. Classic things like dropping speed 20mph in short distance, putting speed signs a few feet behind telephone poles so you can't slow down to that speed by time you reach the sign, pulling people soon as they pass the sign if they are still slowing and not gotten to the speed right at the sign. I think in one town the traffic light is cop controlled with a fast yellow to red cycle. I always take the I-10 to I-75 since you don't really save any time due to the slowdowns on the "shortcut" of US 301. The best thing Florida could do is take away the town charters there, and put all law enforcement in that area back under state police.

Collapse -
(NT) Me thinks there's moore than coincidence going on
by C1ay / September 13, 2007 8:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
Agree....
by EdH / September 13, 2007 9:51 PM PDT

He's obviously trying to provoke the cops for some reason. Why is he driving around with a dash cam?

Police have a lot to deal with. Yesterday four of them were shot up in Florida in a traffic stop; one was killed. They are laying their lives on the line and they have to put up with jokers like this guy?

Collapse -
What's wrong with a dash cam?
by James Denison / September 13, 2007 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Agree....

I want one, but not necessarily for the cops. I'd like to turn it on everytime I hit the road and make videos of all the idiots I see out there doing stupid things like excessive lane changes, too close cut-ins, swerving across 3 lanes of traffic and barely making the exit ramp after numerous signs telling of it's coming for the past 5 miles. This person's camera seems to be mounted just behind or on the front seat so it can give a view of the speedometer too. That makes sense if wanting to prove one's speed when given a ticket undeservedly. I see nothing wrong with the cameras and wish everyone had them installed. Maybe if everyone else on the road who wanted to act like an idiot was worried a camera might have recorded it and get sent into local authorities, they might take more care when driving.

Collapse -
Nothing, but...
by EdH / September 13, 2007 10:25 PM PDT

not very common, is it? Clearly he's out to "prove" something.

Collapse -
I'd say he accomplished it.
by James Denison / September 13, 2007 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Nothing, but...
Wink
Collapse -
Great accomplishment...
by EdH / September 13, 2007 10:42 PM PDT

I'll bet he's real proud!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.