General discussion

Office X Excel crash

I'm on OS 10.3.6; new flat panel G5; have been running MS Office X with no problems, but suddenly none of my (many) excel docs. are recognizable - message says it can't find application. I removed Excel and reinstalled, but it crashes immediately. I've checked for updates on MS but nothing seems applicable. Is there some preference file I need to remove that might help? Strange thing is that everything is still working fine on my iBook laptop - so far!

Other question: when I wake my flat panel from sleep, the screen flashes on bright, then blacks out completely, then comes back to full power. Does this happen to everyone?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Office X Excel crash
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Office X Excel crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try this

The preferences for Excel are stored as follows:
yourname/Library/preferences/com.microsoft.Excel.plist, where "yourname" indicates the home directory of the user.
This plist file is the one that you need to delete.

You mentioned that the finder reported that it could not find the application that created it. Did you get a choice, at that point, to find the application?
Also, have the icons for your XL documents changed in any way. Do they still look like normal?
Let us know

P

- Collapse -
excel crash

mrmacfixit, you are the greatest! I found an updater installer for office 10.1.6 and ran it. Now everything is working again.

I did not have a choice to find the application in the earlier dialog.

Do you think I should still delete the plist file? Is this like the old preference files that would just rebuild after deletion?

- Collapse -
Preferences

Ok, I must be loosing it. I know that I answered this question yesterday but today, I don't see it here.
So, again:
Glad it all worked out for you. It is quite safe to delete the preferences for XL, they will be recreated the next time you launch the app.
The prefs live in the "yourname"\library\preferences and are called com.microsoft.Excel.plist

hope this helps (again) Happy
P

CNET Forums

Forum Info