Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Office students edition 2007

by yadba / December 13, 2006 7:25 AM PST

I need help. I have been look for information but nobody will give me a comprehensive one. First of all, i do not understand why microsoft replaced outlook with onenote on Office 2007 students edition. One note is wonderful but without email features i don't think it's that great, because it's supposed to link to outlook to share document and outlook is not included in the students suite. Now to my question, am a poor student and i can't afford a new computer so i was wondering and hoping that my computer which is by the way a year and nine months old will be able to run vista. this is my information:
Pentuim 4 processor with HT technology
(3.0EGHZ,1MB L2 CACHE,800MHZ FSB)
512MB DDR SDRAM (2 X 256MB)
128MB DDR(SHARED)
80GB (4200 RPM)
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000
1280MB DDR SDRAM(1 X 256MB,1 X1024MB) MAX
ONE TYPE I/II 32BIT CARD BUS(ALSO SUPPORTS 16BITS)
DVD+R/RW AND CD-RW COMBO DRIVE
INTERNAL SPEAKERS; JBL PRO PERFORMANCE; AC AUDIO LINK;VOLUME CONTROL BUTTON AND MUTE BUTTON.
101-KEY COMPATIBLE

Please if it can someone tell me and if it can't tell me what i have to change to make it run vista.
Obie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office students edition 2007
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office students edition 2007
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows Vista...
by John.Wilkinson / December 13, 2006 7:41 AM PST

Your question would be best asked in the Windows Vista forum but I'll answer here so you don't have to repost.

* Your processor is fine.
* You would ideally want to have 1GB or more of RAM, but you can run it on 512MB as long as you don't do much multitasking or use memory-intensive programs.
* You would ideally want a hard drive that runs at at least 5400rpm, but you should still be able to manage.
* Your graphics card is not supported, so you would be unable to run Vista in all of its glory. Ie you would be unable to unlock the Aero interface, the new Glass look, or other various built-in functionality that is graphics-intensive.
* I take it your graphics card takes up 128MB of your system RAM as it lacks dedicated memory? In that case you will not have enough RAM to run Vista successfully, though it is still possible.

If you want to run Vista you will have to upgrade your laptop's RAM, assuming you are not already at the limit. Double it to 1GB and you'll be able to run Vista well, even with the Radeon 9000 taking up 128MB. Unfortunately you will never be able to get the graphical capabilities on that laptop, though, so you will never be able to run Vista at 'full speed.' There is a lot Vista has to offer, but if the graphical capabilities were the main reason you wanted to upgrade I'd think twice.

John

Collapse -
Window vista
by yadba / December 13, 2006 1:23 PM PST
In reply to: Windows Vista...

john,
thank you so much. You gave me all the answer i needed. I really appreciate that. I guess i would start saving up. My major fear is what happen to me the last time,i had an old system and some of my school projects i did at home would not open on the new system they have at school. Again thank you
Obie

Collapse -
No problem.
by cjbakker / December 14, 2006 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Window vista

Opening the school projects at home or the other way around isn't dependent on the OS, but on the applications they are made with. And I can't imagine the school will prescribe applications that only run on Windows Vista (and not on Windows XP) for at least 3 years to come. So I would stick to Windows XP and forget about Vista until you're ready with school and have money enough to buy it.

Better ask the school's IT staff before spending any money. They know the details. Anyway, you can't buy Vista until the end of January 2007 so there's no need to hurry.

I just read that only less than 10% of business are Vista-ready. And that other 90% will spedn a lot of money on software that must run under Windows XP. Another reason to not hurry.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.