Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Office Outlook 2007 - mht display problem in browser

by deepaksarangi / March 24, 2008 3:43 PM PDT

Hi,

As we all know, unlike Office Outlook 2003, in Office Outlook 2007, active mail content will not be displayed for security reasons. So there is an option "View in Browser" which will let you display the active content. Those mails are in the form of .mht or .mhtml file extensions.

Since a few days whenever I click on the "view in browser" button, the mail is not displayed properly. Rather the html tags along with the texts are displayed on the browser(IE 7). I've tried Firefox also. But the same case is repeated there.

Please suggest.

Thanks n Regards,
Deepak

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office Outlook 2007 - mht display problem in browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office Outlook 2007 - mht display problem in browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: display html mails
by Kees Bakker / March 24, 2008 6:41 PM PDT

Does the problem for a certain mail occur on other machines also? In other user accounts on the same machine? That might give an indication of the cause and the possible remedy.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: error in displaying .mht file in the browser
by deepaksarangi / March 24, 2008 7:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: display html mails

Thanks for your query.

No, this problem occurs for every user accounts and for all mails(.mht/.mhtml) files. Sometimes while trying to open a saved .mht file in IE, IE opens and closes immedieately. And while trying to open in firefox browser, all the customization in the web content is gone. Rather a MIME type encoding along with an xml file is shown in the display area of the browser.

I think the problem is not with my Outlook. This might be a problem of my machine also.

Also after searching for some solution, I tried to open the .mht file with IrfanView. But an error comes displaying

"taxi.mht : Can't read file header !

Unknown file format or file not found !"

Please suggest.

BR
Deepak

Collapse -
Re: mht-files
by Kees Bakker / March 24, 2008 7:27 PM PDT

Time to broaden the view:
1. In IE, do File>Save As for a view pages and save as .mht.
2. Copy to a USB-stick or diskette.
3. Same as 2 for a few .mht-files saved from Outlook.
4. Look at all these files on another PC.

Post your findings.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: mht file error
by deepaksarangi / March 24, 2008 8:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: mht-files

Thanks Kees for your reply.

I've done as per your saying. One file stored from IE7. Two files from Outlook 2007.

A slight difference I've marked. After saving from IE7, the files have no special icon. Rather a unknown file icon type. But in case of Outlook 2007, the files have proper icons. All the documents opens promptly in another PC.

But now my IE doesn't show the code also. It just started and stopped immediately when I tried to open it. Only firefox displayed the codes of the MHT file.

Please suggest.

Thanks n Regards,
Deepak

Collapse -
If the files open correctly ...
by Kees Bakker / March 24, 2008 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: mht file error

in IE on another PC, and not in yours, I'd go to Control Panel>Software and repair IE.

Kees

Collapse -
There are some deep complaints about...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2008 9:02 PM PDT

IE7 rendering changes to html. Specifically to Outlook 2007+IE7 combo. It's a known issue with lots of discussions. I can't offer a fix since Microsoft engineered the changes in the name of security. Be sure you are not fighting a battle that you may not win.

That is, call it in now.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: mht file opening problem
by deepaksarangi / March 24, 2008 9:13 PM PDT

Hi,

I appreciate your suggestion. But these .mht/.mhtml files does display properly earlier. Since last few days, the files were displayed as code files without web formatting.

Please provide me a solution. It might be some registry change problem. Might be some setting problem.

Thanks n Regards,
Deepak.

Collapse -
(NT) System restore then?
by Kees Bakker / March 24, 2008 10:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: mht file problem
by deepaksarangi / March 24, 2008 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: System restore then?

Hi,

I usually delete my old restore points, so I can't restore it now.

Also please provide me any strong solution to this like some registry tweaks, settings change and like that.

Because it may be a problem of file extension error. Or might be some fixes overridden the earlier settings.

Please provide me with some specific ways to get rid of that problem.

Best Regards,
Deepak

Collapse -
Two steps to restore MHT associations.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2008 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: mht file problem
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm

I decline to explain this one. Look inside it.

And step 2 to associate it back proper for XP.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Use the HTM entry.
-> Remember that the old temp files issue was not resolved in IE7. Be sure to run disk cleanup from time to time.

And in closing, the need for security is breaking rendering in IE7. You can clamor here for a fix but you are asking the wrong people. Try Microsoft please.
Bob
Collapse -
File association .problems ..
by Kees Bakker / March 24, 2008 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: mht file problem

can be excluded if you can't open the .mht file from within IE with File>Open. That's an easy test.

Deleting old restore points is fine, unless you need them again. With current prices for hard disks, it makes sense to have a few Gb for them, I think.

Anyway, repairing or reinstalling IE should fix the file associations also. Did you already try that?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: .mht file opening problem.
by deepaksarangi / March 25, 2008 4:19 PM PDT

Hi Kees,

Thanks for your suggestions. Reinstalling IE7 fixed my problem.

So can you elaborate a bit more on it, how it is fixed the file association, the underlying technical solution associated with it?

Thank you very much.

BR
Deepak

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2008 10:31 PM PDT

Reinstalling IE7 and most programs do fix associations. I'm a little unclear why you would ask this. Are you new to Windows? Haven't you heard the stories of uninstalling and reinstalling apps to fix them?

Why is all this needed? Because this is not a perfect world. There are bugs and issues still.
Bob

Collapse -
Re : file association problem
by deepaksarangi / March 25, 2008 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: In short.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I know these kinds of file association problem do occur and reinstalling application do fix them.

But still this is a quite strange problem for me while rendering of mhtml is not possible properly in IE7 and this seeming strange for me.

Anyway thanks a lot for all your suggestions.

BR
Deepak.

Collapse -
Just so you know. The IE7 Email render "problem"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2008 11:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: IE 7 email rendering problem
by deepaksarangi / March 26, 2008 4:14 PM PDT

Hi Bob,

Thanks again...

Refering to your link I've searched Google. And found a link for HTML and CSS capabilities for Outlook 2007 at the following location.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338201.aspx

Also downloaded the Outlook 2007 Tool: HTML and CSS Validator from the link.

After installing also I can't see the active contents in the Outlook 2007 mail reading pane. The gif images are not properly shown active. For that also I've to use IE.

Is there any fix to this. Can I preview the active content in my mail as in Outlook 2003?

Please suggest.

BR
Deepak

Collapse -
Re: Outlook html
by Kees Bakker / March 26, 2008 5:53 PM PDT

The Office 2007 html interpretation is limited, compared with that of a browser. That's by design, and not everybody loves that decision by Microsoft. They changed it from Outlook 2003, which used the IE engine. Nothing you can do about it, except complain.

In your statement, what exactly do you mean with "active contents" and "shown active" and "active content"?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Outlook html
by deepaksarangi / March 26, 2008 5:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Outlook html

Hi,

Active contents, I mean some flash contents or simple GIF images are not supported by Outlook 2007.

I've searched the web and found that the rendering engine is now Word 2007 rather than IE, which is there for Outlook 2003.

Anyway is there any fix for that? i.e. can we apply certain fix to display GIF images properly, not the first frame only.

Also the link I've provided for HTML and CSS validators, are they useful?

Please suggest.

Thanks n Regards,
Deepak

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?