Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Office Home & Student '07 on a business computer.

by k8tesamp / January 15, 2009 3:14 AM PST

Hi my name is Kate,

I work for a company and I noticed on a work PC that Office Home & Student 2007 had been installed. I thought that as that version of office could only used for non-commercial purposes and was limited to 3 licenses using it on a business computer that's used for commercial practices was illegal. However my co-workers disagreed.

Could anyone answer the below:

1) I'm pretty sure that if you validate software MS logs things like I.P address and other info, would uninstalling the software be a good thing to do and has anyone know if there is a penalty applied.

2) Can MS tell who you are i.e who the licensees are, I mean it maybe that 2 other 'home users' are validated to use it legally and we are using it illegally and they may get a nasty email or letter from MS through no fault of their own.

Many thanks for any help,

K

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Office Home & Student '07 on a business computer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Office Home & Student '07 on a business computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This may help
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 8:19 PM PST

Microsoft Software License Terms (MSLT) for Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007

"2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to "licensed device." That device is a
"licensed device." A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on three licensed devices in your household for use by people who reside there. The software is not licensed for use in any commercial, non-profit, or revenue-generating business activities."

The full text in PDF format can be downloaded from here;
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7467D5C4-FA3A-4F9F-82B6-CBCD6108A980&displaylang=en

That may answer your questions, even if it does not allay your fears.

Mark

Collapse -
I'd only fret about it if...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 9:58 PM PST

My job was on the line or if I'm the infringer. There is another problem about this. Let's say this company is skirting the rules (breaking them in fact.) Will they be doing the same when it comes to pay, employee safety and more?

And let's give them an alternative to rule breaking!

-> Open Office from http://www.openoffice.org is free and can be used to edit and create all the common office documents in Office 2003 document formats.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.